U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 AM
 
14 posts, read 24,777 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

I guess that's why it's called a tooth brush and not a teeth brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
321 posts, read 720,748 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We finally made it after cancelling two earlier trips due to my wife's surgeries. We arrived in Branson late last night and are ready to go look at houses!

First impressions from a Californian: It's green, green, green here; grass, trees, crops, people's lawns, you name it. The highways we traveled are just two lanes in every direction, most have a speed limit of 70 and most people observe it. Traffic doesn't seem to exist and the roadsides are clean, clean, clean. Trucks can also drive the full speed limit and truckers here love to dress-up their rigs with lots of exra lights in amber and red. They used to do that in California but naturally, there's now a law against it.

It was fairly flat until we headed south from Springfield and hit the hills of the Ozarks. Then it was like a roller coaster ride up and down the hills. Shortly we were in lake country -- Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Taneycomo, and then Branson. The entire way from Kansas City there was water; rivers, streams, branches, Truman Lake, Stockton Lake, ponds, etc.

A couple of things we noticed: They take seriously and preserve history here with museums of all sorts, halls of fame, historical parks and preservation; it's nice to see, as were all the tall flagpoles in front of houses proudly flying our country's flag; people thanking me for my service (noticed my cap), et al.

I think we're going to like it here A LOT! Lunch with Lake Junkie and the adventure begins!

Thank you for your service, sir.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Still in the same spot...
2,130 posts, read 3,926,315 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
Thank you for your service, sir.
A hearty Amen to that! Wait'll Veteran's Day and Memorial Day back there. My wife and I drove through the town of Clinton, MO on Memorial Day a few years ago while on vacation, and while driving by a nearby cemetery we had never seen so many American flags on display in our lives. Clinton's not that big of a town either!

I do think in many ways the very best is yet to come for Curmudgeon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Reputation: 28970
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
Thank you for your service, sir.
And I thank you in turn, Squid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
A hearty Amen to that! Wait'll Veteran's Day and Memorial Day back there. My wife and I drove through the town of Clinton, MO on Memorial Day a few years ago while on vacation, and while driving by a nearby cemetery we had never seen so many American flags on display in our lives. Clinton's not that big of a town either!
It's a big part of what I love about the mid-west and the south -- those senses and observances of history, tradition and unapologetic (Mr. President, take a lesson) patriotism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I do think in many ways the very best is yet to come for Curmudgeon!
I couldn't agree more. Three weeks from tomorrow we're outta here and four days later we're in God's Country!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-27-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
321 posts, read 720,748 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And I thank you in turn, Squid!

Hehe!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
A hearty Amen to that! Wait'll Veteran's Day and Memorial Day back there. My wife and I drove through the town of Clinton, MO on Memorial Day a few years ago while on vacation, and while driving by a nearby cemetery we had never seen so many American flags on display in our lives. Clinton's not that big of a town either!

I do think in many ways the very best is yet to come for Curmudgeon!
One of the most awesome Veterans Day Parades I've ever attended is in Branson...the whole week is set aside as "Veteran's Week"...and we usually have tens of thousands of veterans in town, besides all the groups that are IN the parade...



It's getting to be a family tradition around my house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Still in the same spot...
2,130 posts, read 3,926,315 times
Reputation: 1529
LJ, I take a look at that photo and then when I think of Berkeley I feel like I want to grab the nearest barf bag and hurl. Seems like two different universes. I'm a little over an hour north of Berkeley but it's not a whole lot better up here.

O.B. might have some justifiable fears about how Ozarks living might change in the coming years, but I don't see it ever losing a single iota of respect or appreciation for those who wear or who have worn the uniform. An entire Veteran's Week in Branson--that is absolutely fabulous! Whenever I feel down about how things are out here, I'll try to replace that with thinking about Curmudgeon's great fortune. Hopefully a honeymoon that won't end!

And I'm counting my blessings too. Getting less in debt, I still have a very good job, and we'll either grind it out here and vacation back there whenever we can, or just go for broke and probably head for the Tulsa area (my career field makes it pretty necessary for me to live in or near a major metro area) and try to have a job lined up there beforehand. Just a few hours up I-44 to SW Missouri from there! We've got to make to one of your OTFCC (Over the Fence Coffee Club) gatherings before I get too old and gray, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Reputation: 28970
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
LJ, I take a look at that photo and then when I think of Berkeley I feel like I want to grab the nearest barf bag and hurl. Seems like two different universes. I'm a little over an hour north of Berkeley but it's not a whole lot better up here.

O.B. might have some justifiable fears about how Ozarks living might change in the coming years, but I don't see it ever losing a single iota of respect or appreciation for those who wear or who have worn the uniform. An entire Veteran's Week in Branson--that is absolutely fabulous! Whenever I feel down about how things are out here, I'll try to replace that with thinking about Curmudgeon's great fortune. Hopefully a honeymoon that won't end!

And I'm counting my blessings too. Getting less in debt, I still have a very good job, and we'll either grind it out here and vacation back there whenever we can, or just go for broke and probably head for the Tulsa area (my career field makes it pretty necessary for me to live in or near a major metro area) and try to have a job lined up there beforehand. Just a few hours up I-44 to SW Missouri from there! We've got to make to one of your OTFCC (Over the Fence Coffee Club) gatherings before I get too old and gray, huh?
Right with you on all counts, Eric. As for getting old and gray, not to worry. I'ver already achieved that status and it's not holding me back too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: NW AR
809 posts, read 142,769 times
Reputation: 201
Hey CM: Do you gotta be old to turn grey, or turn grey to be old?

Think about it.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Table Rock Lake
870 posts, read 2,724,119 times
Reputation: 880
Default Welcome to the neighborhood, Curmudgeon!!

Hey there NBeric!! It's been awhile! I know someday you'll make it for a OTFCC meeting, and we'll all be there!!

**My hairdresser calls "new growth" ROOT ROT, (when it's grey) so I am SURE there is age involved, maybe even some decay.... !!**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top