U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Reputation: 28965

Advertisements

We finally made it after cancelling two earlier trips due to my wife's surgeries. We arrived in Branson late last night and are ready to go look at houses!

First impressions from a Californian: It's green, green, green here; grass, trees, crops, people's lawns, you name it. The highways we traveled are just two lanes in every direction, most have a speed limit of 70 and most people observe it. Traffic doesn't seem to exist and the roadsides are clean, clean, clean. Trucks can also drive the full speed limit and truckers here love to dress-up their rigs with lots of exra lights in amber and red. They used to do that in California but naturally, there's now a law against it.

It was fairly flat until we headed south from Springfield and hit the hills of the Ozarks. Then it was like a roller coaster ride up and down the hills. Shortly we were in lake country -- Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Taneycomo, and then Branson. The entire way from Kansas City there was water; rivers, streams, branches, Truman Lake, Stockton Lake, ponds, etc.

A couple of things we noticed: They take seriously and preserve history here with museums of all sorts, halls of fame, historical parks and preservation; it's nice to see, as were all the tall flagpoles in front of houses proudly flying our country's flag; people thanking me for my service (noticed my cap), et al.

I think we're going to like it here A LOT! Lunch with Lake Junkie and the adventure begins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: MO Ozarkian in NE Hoosierana
4,679 posts, read 10,637,504 times
Reputation: 6868
Warm greetings [well, the weather might be warm enough of a greeting for yas ].

Safe adventures, and hope rest of your visit/time is prosperous and goes as desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: NW. MO.
1,817 posts, read 5,766,767 times
Reputation: 1345
Oh is it your first time in Missouri? Are you just there for a visit now or staying?

Yeah that green does make an impression doesn't it? My husband was always commenting how the yards looked like the golf courses out in Ca. LOL. The sides of the roads were mowed also and that impressed him. I haven't been to southern Missouri yet, only northern and as far south as Kansas City but I may be soon.

The only thing I really found weird, and maybe because I've lived in places where historic housing was expensive and in short supply, but that so many old houses there in Missouri are abandoned or run down or in the "bad areas". LOL I drive through the less desirable areas and am in awe of the architecture and wish I had half the houses.

I was just out in Mo. again in May and I had to cut the trip short but I sure do miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: south Missouri
438 posts, read 912,124 times
Reputation: 288
Welcome.

It's green this year because we've had plenty of rain. Some years, Missouri is lush and green - sometimes not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
 
418 posts, read 1,030,040 times
Reputation: 319
Have fun house hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Reputation: 28965
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Oh is it your first time in Missouri? Are you just there for a visit now or staying?

Yeah that green does make an impression doesn't it? My husband was always commenting how the yards looked like the golf courses out in Ca. LOL. The sides of the roads were mowed also and that impressed him. I haven't been to southern Missouri yet, only northern and as far south as Kansas City but I may be soon.

The only thing I really found weird, and maybe because I've lived in places where historic housing was expensive and in short supply, but that so many old houses there in Missouri are abandoned or run down or in the "bad areas". LOL I drive through the less desirable areas and am in awe of the architecture and wish I had half the houses.

I was just out in Mo. again in May and I had to cut the trip short but I sure do miss it.
This is just a visit. I'd driven through MO a few times many years ago and thought it beautiful. My wife lived in NW AR for seven years and loved it. We both wanted out of CA so here we are. We looked at five houses today and will look at three or four more tomorrow. We're decidedly moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: The City of St. Louis
938 posts, read 3,054,939 times
Reputation: 764
Glad to hear you have arrived in the Show-Me State!

Missouri may be green, green, green now, but come mid-November it will be brown, brown, brown [see attached picture]

I love how the seasons change here though, and can't wait for fall and winter after spending two years in Texas with only two seasons! I'm always amazed at just how different the landscapes look during every season...it is almost like living in 4 totally different areas.
Attached Thumbnails
We're finally here! And now - Settling In!-img_3743.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Rolla, Phelps County, Ozarks, Missouri
1,069 posts, read 2,173,395 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This is just a visit. I'd driven through MO a few times many years ago and thought it beautiful. My wife lived in NW AR for seven years and loved it. We both wanted out of CA so here we are. We looked at five houses today and will look at three or four more tomorrow. We're decidedly moving here.
Curmudgeon, you sound like so many others who have come here because they visited once or twice before and thought it beautiful and quaint, slow-paced and laid-back, cheap and easy. Then life got hard and they began complaining and then went away. Remember our friend Nexxie who couldn't find happiness in a beautiful home on 120 acres next to the Gasconade? Here are a couple of her posts to refresh your memory and to slow down others who are reading your posts and thinking about doing what you are preparing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxie View Post
It's almost like a miracle. I am here a year now and I actually survived. There were times when I actually contemplated checking out. It has been an experience and the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. It has been very difficult for me the last year living so isolated from family, friends, and good neighbors. If the cows, deer, and turkey could speak (maybe even some of you Missourians) I may have had an easier time here. At times, I relly felt imprisoned.

There are so many things I do not understand about the life of people here and do not care to find out, therefore I will not ask. What I will say is I do have great respect for you. It appears most have a very hard life here and if I did have a lot of money I know now what I would do with it.

I hope to sell this beautiful piece of land and gorgeous new home and return to an easy life, my cookie cutter neighborhood, starbucks, malls, great parks, beaches, shopping, sunshine, boating, diving, great HEALTHY dining, the arts, theatre, good conversation and most of all a better education for my son where technology is offered at a young age.

I thank you all again for all the posts, I have read them all. Please keep us in your prayers that we will be home soon.

Thanks,
nexxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxie View Post
Although I did not come here by choice and it was something that had to be done, I hope that my experiences here will help others before they hop the fence for whatever reasons they may feel is necessary. Wheather it be personal obligations, work, or you think you want the rural life, have a back-up plan or other options for an emergency escape. Unless you are born into this type of life you may not make it out here and be prepared for some serious culture shock. If you have to come here for whatever reasons, the life here is VERY hard but the Missourian's for the most part are generally good people with a lack of sense of humor. Lighten up Missourian's and don't take life so seriously, it is too short and definitely should not be wasted where you are not happy.

Nexxie
After the leaves fall and this place browns up for the winter, don't come crying to me or any other Missourian that the place is ugly. If we get ice this winter, don't whine that the weather isn't what you expected. When tornadoes strike throughout southern Missouri next spring--and they will--don't get all scaredy cat on us.

You think you've done sufficient research and I hope you have. Welcome and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,685,471 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Here are a couple of her posts to refresh your memory and to slow down others who are reading your posts and thinking about doing what you are preparing to do.
What...do you have a file folder labeled..."unhappy posts"?

What a life you lead....

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 08-05-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,685,471 times
Reputation: 1556
Cool Let the adventure begin...indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We finally made it after cancelling two earlier trips due to my wife's surgeries. We arrived in Branson late last night and are ready to go look at houses!

First impressions from a Californian: It's green, green, green here; grass, trees, crops, people's lawns, you name it. The highways we traveled are just two lanes in every direction, most have a speed limit of 70 and most people observe it. Traffic doesn't seem to exist and the roadsides are clean, clean, clean. Trucks can also drive the full speed limit and truckers here love to dress-up their rigs with lots of exra lights in amber and red. They used to do that in California but naturally, there's now a law against it.

It was fairly flat until we headed south from Springfield and hit the hills of the Ozarks. Then it was like a roller coaster ride up and down the hills. Shortly we were in lake country -- Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Taneycomo, and then Branson. The entire way from Kansas City there was water; rivers, streams, branches, Truman Lake, Stockton Lake, ponds, etc.

A couple of things we noticed: They take seriously and preserve history here with museums of all sorts, halls of fame, historical parks and preservation; it's nice to see, as were all the tall flagpoles in front of houses proudly flying our country's flag; people thanking me for my service (noticed my cap), et al.

I think we're going to like it here A LOT! Lunch with Lake Junkie and the adventure begins!
It's always so neat to see the Ozarks through new eyes...
What a fun day! I love the spirit of adventure that lives in the American heart.

Thank you for your service, C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top