U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm about to enlist a home inspector for a house purchase and wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations. Is there any place I can check them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:00 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times
Ok well looks like I am going to go with one I found. Keeping my fingers crossed it was a decent decision.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM

246 posts, read 547,839 times
In Missouri there are no set regulations or qualifications to be a home inspector. (Someone correct me if I am wrong, perhaps Springfield
is different) but anyone can put on a home inspector hat.

We are in the construction/plumbing/electrical business and have seen
many homes that were inspected before a sale yet had water leaks/mold/other major problems not found by a home inspector. It is buyer beware because there is no recourse against an inspector if he failed to find something wrong before a sale. One house had a gas leak the inspector 'failed' to find (another story in itself)...the buyer had no recourse against the inspector.

If I were on my own in this area and was looking at a home to purchase, I would hire a contractor to go in and inspect the home for me prior to purchasing. I would not hire a home inspector. I am not saying all
home inspectors are crooks or bad mind you, I just have seen too much
in the construction business. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 24,777 times
Excellent advise.
Hire someone that fixes such problems on a daily basis. They will be able to give you great advice. The inspectors might not want to "Rock the boat" on a possible sale.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM

111 posts, read 342,406 times
There are certified inspectors and believe me they aren't worried about rocking the boat. You can find them online in the yellow pages.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM

84 posts, read 182,334 times
I agree with mcol.

For various reasons I believe hiring a "home inspector" locally is a waste of money. Even those with their fancy high-falutin' bragging of belonging to this or that association is meaningless.

I interviewed several and all seemed to me to be after easy money.

The one I eventually hired, at the higher end of the price range, did no better than what I could and eventually did on my own.

Hire a contractor or if the house is expensive enough, perhaps a structural engineer or several "inspectors"!!!!

A reputable plumber to inspect plumbing, electrician for that area. A roofer for the roof, etc.

As for a dedicated "house inspector" of the traditional type? Bah!!!!! Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!

Sure seems to be a lot of them in Missouri coming here from other states to make some easy money without having to stand behind their work.

Until I am convinced otherwise I would view home inspecting in Missouri as a racket that offers little to nothing in services rendered for the amount paid for.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:05 AM

20 posts, read 34,746 times
I recently purchased a home in Springfield with the services of a "home inspector". Since I was paying him, I guess I assumed that things that were discovered would be taken care of. After the deal was struck with the seller the realtor told me that these things had to specifically listed on the offer/acceptance forms. There was even a "home inspection" on the day before closing. Big deal!!

If you have any construction or home ownership experience do not assume you can relax and not do your own inspection. He did crawl under the house and did a termite inspection, but I had to point out a 'spongy' floor and more.

The problem is; how bad of a discovery does the "home inspector" have to find to cause you to walk away from a home that you have determined to be the one you can afford and have fallen in love with before the "home inspection"?? And how many corrections is a seller actually going to do knowing this??

Anyway, don't throw away your common sense.

Regards, ju539
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area