U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM

506 posts, read 421,789 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are 66 and have lived in Hot Springs Village Arkansas for 7 yrs & I'm ready to move for reasons that may tend to incriminate me. We are coming soon for a few days to visit Hollister and Branson.
I have several questions.
1) just how bad is the snow? If you live in a gated community in Branson or Hollister are there days you can't get out? Hubby gets cabin fever pretty easily. 24 hrs in the house and he's ready to roll. We only get about 2" of snow per year--perfect for me but I'm from NJ. Love snow.
2) do these communities have organized duplicate bridge?
3) I've read u can grow veggies in south MO and that you can't. If I want to, do I need a tiller? Growing in a wheelbarrow sounds neat.
4) Is the bass fishing terrific? We don't have fish here; just lakes. You have to drive up towards BOOGER HOLLOW and Fayetteville to actually catch a fish. In fact, fish don't EXIST in Hot Springs Village!! So seldom do you see anyone on their boat. They stay in the dock.
5) Do the Branson restaurants deliver to homes in the gated communities? We don't have that where we live; we're too remote.
6) How's the weather in March? Here it's great; starting to warm up.
7) are the greens' fees $48? We pay $20 but our taxes are higher.
That's all I have for now. I know it's too much but when you're older, it is actually scary to move. It makes me anxious to think of it but I need to live somewhere else. Suzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM

246 posts, read 547,839 times
I'm pretty much straight east of Branson.
There are times you can get a few inches of snow, yes. But that's
not very often. The real problem would be ice storms. Ice storms
or snow will cripple these towns for days, as they don't have the
equipment to deal with them. For example last January we
had a bad ice storm which downed many tree limbs and knocked
our power out for 19 hours, and believe me we were lucky. There
are those that had major damage and lost power for weeks.

Also you get bad storms with hail, high winds, and tornadoes possible.
Have a plan in place for that as well.

I have a beautiful garden that has done well. However you need
topsoil, mulch, lots of hard work. This ground has very little
topsoil and lots of clay. You cannot just stick something in the
ground and it grows.

March weather could be anything - starting to warm up, cold days,
severe thunderstorms, snow or ice.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Hi,
We are 66 and have lived in Hot Springs Village Arkansas for 7 yrs & I'm ready to move for reasons that may tend to incriminate me. We are coming soon for a few days to visit Hollister and Branson.
I have several questions.
1) just how bad is the snow? If you live in a gated community in Branson or Hollister are there days you can't get out? Hubby gets cabin fever pretty easily. 24 hrs in the house and he's ready to roll. We only get about 2" of snow per year--perfect for me but I'm from NJ. Love snow.
2) do these communities have organized duplicate bridge?
3) I've read u can grow veggies in south MO and that you can't. If I want to, do I need a tiller? Growing in a wheelbarrow sounds neat.
4) Is the bass fishing terrific? We don't have fish here; just lakes. You have to drive up towards BOOGER HOLLOW and Fayetteville to actually catch a fish. In fact, fish don't EXIST in Hot Springs Village!! So seldom do you see anyone on their boat. They stay in the dock.
5) Do the Branson restaurants deliver to homes in the gated communities? We don't have that where we live; we're too remote.
6) How's the weather in March? Here it's great; starting to warm up.
7) are the greens' fees $48? We pay $20 but our taxes are higher.
That's all I have for now. I know it's too much but when you're older, it is actually scary to move. It makes me anxious to think of it but I need to live somewhere else. Suzy
You want to move to Missouri, live in a gated community, have your food delivered to the gated community, play bridge with other people in the gated community and play golf in the gated community. Are you going to get out of the gated community every once in a while?

For an Arkansawyer, you sound mighty stand-offish.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM

111 posts, read 342,406 times
Come to Missouri and enjoy it. My family has always lived in Missouri. We presently live 15 miles north of Branson. We enjoy our location, easy access to Springfield or Branson (can be there in 15-20 mins.). There are some very nice gated communities, but it isn't necessary to live in a gated community the outskirts of Branson are beautiful and the roads are maintained, winter is not confining.

Come and enjoy.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 AM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,744 times
Table Rock Lake is well-known as a bass fisherman's delight. They host several tournaments a year and on nice weekends it can get quite crowded with rec. boaters and fishermen. They also get some big catfish down by the dam. Lake Taneycomo is cold enough to support trout fishing and I think it is stocked by the MO. Dept. of Conservation from the trout hatcheries nearby. Almost every lake and pond will have sunfish, catfish or carp. I think they fish for smallmouth at James River, near Galena. Watch out, if your husband fishes and you don't-you could become a fishing widow!
Hunting is also very popular. The Conservation Dept. has worked hard to maintain the deer and wild turkey populations. There are numerous public lands scattered around the state utilized for hunting.
If you are concerned about the weather, I suggest you get a house with a basement and a fireplace. That way you have protection from tornadoes, plus heat and cooking capabilities. A generator would be a good choice too. We sometimes have 80 degree weather for a short time in February, but it always turns cold again. The ice, not snow is the biggest problem. With a 4-wheel drive truck you should be able to get out almost anytime. March is usually chilly and rainy with occasional cold and warm spells. It can go either way, sometimes within a 24 hour period. It's not unheard of to run the air during the day then turn on the heat at night!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
I would give Ozarkboys left nut to live in Branson. So many fish and so little time!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
We're purchasing a home on Table Rock Lake about 22 miles south-west of Branson right now. We'll be moving there in about three weeks. The nearest store is a convenience store and gas station almost 4 miles away and "real" shopping is about 20 miles away in the Branson area.

I doubt that even Dominoe's Pizza will deliver where we are as there are only 212 homes and about 40% are summer and weekend getaways for their owners.

If you want the amenities you posted about and feel you really need to be gated and protected then I submit that rural MO may not be what you should be looking for. I'd suggest something a bit more urban.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
If you are concerned about the weather, I suggest you get a house with a basement and a fireplace. That way you have protection from tornadoes, plus heat and cooking capabilities. A generator would be a good choice too.
Maybe you could build an underground bunker in a gated community; someone could pass food to you through a hole in the door. That way you'd be protected from tornadoes AND hillbillies.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Wink To gate or not to gate...

SusanG...as you can see, some of these 'ol boys sense of humor tends to the sarcastic side...

I think the main type of food delivery is pizza/Italian and it depends on how far you are from their restaurant as to whether they deliver. There is no independent delivery company here yet, like you'll find in Springfield or other places with a bigger year 'round population.

More fun than that is to get on your boat & go to one of the lakeside restaurants...even some of the gated subdivisions are right ON the lake!

As you've read, the snow is negligible, the ice is more of a problem. Twice last winter I had to spend 2 days at home. Actually I didn't HAVE to, I just decided that it was a good excuse as any. Everybody else was closed, anyway. (Not grocery stores & hospitals & the like......not to worry...)

If you're retired and can afford it, I suggest finding a southern home-away-from-home for January & February, or large parts of same. Gulf coast, cruise ship, Mexico...but by March things are warming up and it starts to get really pretty by late March/early April. By late May (early May for the last chance of frost) you can swim in Table Rock...

Many places here are very rocky, so we have good black dirt hauled in from Arkansas & make retaining walls & plant our veggie gardens. I have lots of ledge rock around my house, so my digging starts with a 20 lb pick!

~Lake Junkie

Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM

418 posts, read 1,030,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Maybe you could build an underground bunker in a gated community; someone could pass food to you through a hole in the door. That way you'd be protected from tornadoes AND hillbillies.
Now that was funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area