Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM

5 posts, read 17,040 times

Advertisements

We got a job transfer to Springfield, and finanically it was a good deal, and we will make the move very soon. Now it looks there will be an opening for the same job in Columbia with a little higher pay. We both like the outdoors and the arts, God's nature and city lights. At the moment it seems Spg has an edge with closeness to all those lakes and rivers (no real restaurants, sadly) and the population in SPG is much bigger than the college town of Comumbia, but there might be more going on in Columbia even though it seems like both places aren't exactly culture centers.

I'm midwest. My spouse is southern plains. I'm not country but I grew up on an acerage with trees and streams for a playground. Dad worked in the big city. My better half was raised in a smaller town on a small ranch with an extended. I like blue grass and the symphony, my spouse likes country and jazz. We both like the theatre and the blues. Both of us have degrees. We've lived in Dallas, Cleveland, Tulsa, Lexington, Atlanta, Kansas City, and soon SPG.

If I am asked if I want to move to Columbia. what are the differences? The advantages and disadvantages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betwixt & between View Post

If I am asked if I want to move to Columbia. what are the differences? The advantages and disadvantages?
From the way you've described yourself, I think Columbia will be by far the better choice for one reason: I-70. It will get you to St. Louis or Kansas City much quicker than I-44 will get you from Spingfield to St. Louis, and there is no straight shot from Springfield to Kansas City.

You sound like you would thrive on the vibrancy of College Town. It's also a much more liberal city, politically, socially and economically, than Springfield, and that sounds, too, like what you would prefer.

I think without a doubt Columbia is your real choice.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 42,642 times
Exclamation Go North, Young Man

I moved to Springfield from Dallas over three years ago. This area is just fine and dandy ON THE SURFACE, but the more time that I spend here the emptier it seems.

I have never lived in Columbia but, like you, I've lived in several big cities around the country and I'm realizing that there is something essential missing here. It appears that most people who grew up in SW Missouri are content to be here. But if you've seen the rest of the country, then you have seen how truly vibrant and alive a city can be. Springfield is lifeless, at least it has been for me.

Leave while you still have the chance.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 17,040 times
Ozb,

Good points and straight from the shoulder. I hadn't really considerd the possiblity of driving to KC or STL. Traveling the I-70 deathrap doesn't float my boat.

Our oldest graduated from Mizzou a couple of years ago, and I graduated from a university in a college town and always have felt sorry for the "townies". Now, I face the prospect of becoming one. Hobnobing with small town professors seems a little trivial.

We're both confortable on or in the water, and I'm thinking about the closeness to the rivers. I've done the Current many times and White, Buffalo and then there's Table Rock and Stockton that SPG has quick as access to. Columbia has Lake of the Ozarks, but I hear that's pretty crowded.

I understand TZero's consternation the transitipon from Big D must have been very rough. But even with his/her admonition, SPG will probably be it. I've been a driven sort, but the fascination is ebbing. The main attraction for Columbia frankly is the opportunity of building a new office from the ground up, the satisfaction of a job well done and the praise of my colleagues. But really, who needs the headaches? I think I might rather buy rental houses to help pay for college for the two littlest children. I can always take recordings of the music and a small volume of Plutarch with me and just look at the sunset on the lake or from a campfile on a sandbar.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
They couldn't be more different yet be in the same state. I live in Columbia and travel to S'field all the time for business. First, Columbia is now big enough that you can live here and have little interaction with MU. Most of us who don't operate in MU's orbit notice it mostly at times like now, when there's more traffic and longer lines in the grocery stores. That said, Springfield skews closer to Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and even Dallas with its orientation-- socially conservative (but large enough to have some diversity), more of a chamber of commerce approach to business, and very conventionally religiously oriented.

Vignettes tell the Columbia story. The current teapot tempest concerns new bicycle ordinances. The city got a gazillion-dollar federal grant to make the place more bike-friendly. The problem is that it brought out the inner Radical Cyclist in a fair number of people-- people who think Cars Are Evil, We All Move Too Fast, and People Who Drive Cars Are Fat Heart Attacks Waiting To Happen. Unfortunately, those folks got the ear of city authorities, so as a result, Columbia has one of the few bicycle harassment ordinances existing in the States-- Boulder, Colorado is one of the others, and if you know Boulder, that ought to tell you something. You can't yell or honk at a cyclist. Really. What's happened is that the matter has escalated to something near warfare, not just through the ordinance (though that contributed), but from a collision of cyclist types that probably would be laughed off the streets of Springfield and, well, others...including others like me who think the city government has gone off the deep end. We're about to lower speed limits throughout the city. Why? Well, that's a little fuzzy...it boils down to, "well, it's a good idea." The next city election will be interesting. There's a growing number of us who are tired of the social engineering, but will we matter as a voting bloc? I don't know. MU's presence does give the place a kind of artistic vibe-- we get better performing acts than most places our size, including some world-class classical musicians, something important to me.

I think it's harder to practice business in Columbia than in Springfield-- there's a more insular business culture, led by people who have nothing to do with MU, but whose families have lived here since Daniel Boone's sons walked by, or so it seems. I'm pretty much alone among my Columbia friends in kind of liking Springfield-- it's too booster-ish and way too fundie and Reaganite conservative, but it's not evil, the way Columbians think it is...and the way lots of Springfielders I know think Columbia is. Springfield's setting is beautiful, at least as beautiful as Columbia's, and you're a lot closer to lakes and such-- Lake of the Ozarks is a good 90 minutes away, and my feeling is, why go there at all-- in season, it's the very antithesis of relaxing. It's not bad out of season, unless you need to get to or from your condo along one of those iced-over roads. THAT'S exciting.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betwixt & between View Post
Ozb,

Good points and straight from the shoulder. I hadn't really considerd the possiblity of driving to KC or STL. Traveling the I-70 deathrap doesn't float my boat.

Our oldest graduated from Mizzou a couple of years ago, and I graduated from a university in a college town and always have felt sorry for the "townies". Now, I face the prospect of becoming one. Hobnobing with small town professors seems a little trivial.

We're both confortable on or in the water, and I'm thinking about the closeness to the rivers. I've done the Current many times and White, Buffalo and then there's Table Rock and Stockton that SPG has quick as access to. Columbia has Lake of the Ozarks, but I hear that's pretty crowded.

I understand TZero's consternation the transitipon from Big D must have been very rough. But even with his/her admonition, SPG will probably be it. I've been a driven sort, but the fascination is ebbing. The main attraction for Columbia frankly is the opportunity of building a new office from the ground up, the satisfaction of a job well done and the praise of my colleagues. But really, who needs the headaches? I think I might rather buy rental houses to help pay for college for the two littlest children. I can always take recordings of the music and a small volume of Plutarch with me and just look at the sunset on the lake or from a campfile on a sandbar.
If you are outdoor enthusiasts, choose Springfield for sure. Springfield is much closer to the wonderland of the Ozarks, as you already know. Even the Buffalo down in Arkansas isn't too far away. Living in Springfield, you'll be 2-3 hours closer to all of the good floating and hiking than in Columbia.

Springfield also has nearly as many college students living in it as Columbia, just spread out over several different colleges (MSU, Drury, Evangel, OTC, and a few bible colleges). Despite that, Columbia feels like a real college town, while Springfield feels like a town with a few colleges in it.

Both towns have visual and performing arts scenes and galleries. I'm not an artsy type so I can't comment on the quality of either place, but you can certaintly find them in either Springfield or Columbia. You will not be leaving the finer things in life behind moving to either place, but it won't be anything like a larger city either.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 PM

20 posts, read 90,491 times
It sounds like you should choose Springfield based on your posts so far. I love Columbia, but I could never live there... too small. Don't get me wrong Columbia is great, and was just listed as number 10 on Forbes Best College Towns. Columbia is a very libral town, so not a whole lot of counterpoints. Springfield has long been a vast land for Conservatives, but ever since we started experiencing the population boom many liberals/dems are giving the city a try. Springfield is one of the best places in the country to see a presidential candidate. Obama came here twice with a crowd of 45,000 people, and McCain spoke at MSU. The latest voting records show that Springfield is becoming more democratic. Greene County voting results for the Obama, McCain election showed the democrats gaining 10,000 votes over the 2004 election, and the republicans only gaining a few hundred. Sorry to go on and on about this I just wanted to give you a factual statement about the political views of Springfield.

Anyway's... the arts are amazing in Springfield. With over 45,000 college students in Springfield (more than Columbia), our theaters and music groups thrive. Downtown has the Gillioz, Landers, and Vandivort theaters with awesome shows. Missouri State University has it's renowned Theater and Dance School that produced the likes of Kathleen Turner, John Goodman, Tess Harper, and Kim Crosby. They put on some amazing shows! The entire Downtown area has an artwalk every first friday of every month called the First Friday Artwalk. It's awesome to see all of the great galleries after eating at one the great restaurants downtown. There is also Hammons Hall that provides all of the touring broadway shows and various artists, comedians, etc. I wish I could provide some info on Columbia's art scene but I don't know a whole lot, I hear it's great though. Springfield has a great trail system and award winning park system. Columbia is an awesome city for biking.

Springfield is 3 hours from STL on I-44, 2 hours to KC on MO 13, 40 min. (or 25 if you drive like me) to Branson and Table Rock Lake, 1 hour to Stockton Lake, and close to many rivers.

Let me know if I u need any question answered about Springfield.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder1 View Post
The latest voting records show that Springfield is becoming more democratic. Greene County voting results for the Obama, McCain election showed the democrats gaining 10,000 votes over the 2004 election, and the republicans only gaining a few hundred. Sorry to go on and on about this I just wanted to give you a factual statement about the political views of Springfield.
Not to nitpick, but one election does not establish a trend. Especially not the last election.

I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd look at Greene and Christian counties together before forming any solid conclusions about the area as a whole. I say that because Ozark and Nixa are both in Christian County and, though not nearly as large as Springfield, still have significant populations.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM

23 posts, read 87,243 times
I have lived near Springfield for years and travel there to do shopping. I'm sure it would make a fine place to live. However, I visited Columbia for the first time this summer and I was really suprised. It has a totally different vibe than Springfield, which feels very generic. I only spent a few days in Columbia, but it was very cool, with some unique restaurants with good food. I also have family that lives in the area and LOVES it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area