U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,358,249 times
Reputation: 248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Just because someone speaks Spanish or with a Hispanic accent doesn't make someone "illegal". Most of the Hispanic immigrants are legal and I don't need to come to Colorado; we have many Hispanic immigrants in my corner of SWMO. They make good neighbors, good students, and good parishioners.

It is difficult to prove but there are some signs. In a place that I worked, there were some legally there but brought/arranged to bring family and friends here. In my particular experience, no english speaking at all raised a red flag (although no proof) many choose to keep the culture and language alive by speaking spanish in there homes and to there family in public, however they still had the ability to communicate in English. I only found out by accident that many were illegals but documentation looked legite. A friend of mine has 2 kids by a guy and has no idea what his real was (no longer has contact). Later, I met a lady that I kept calling "Gloria" by accident and later was told by her boyfriend (a mutual friend) that that was her real name and she was not sure how I could know that.

So, in my experience in SW MO, no English at all raises a flag but there again it is no proof. I honestly did not concern myself with it and do not feel that there is a clear cut way to know for sure (unless you do that for a living).

 
Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Southwest Missouri
1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Stereotyping yelp I decided to do this when the bulk of them are illegal and they live the lifestyle of one.
I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say. ??
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins,Colorado
42 posts, read 134,515 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Well not true I know some that were born and raised here speak mostly Spanish.I was at a Dinner with a girl that was raised here and she was talking to her kids in Spanish and I told her what I thought of it.

Biggest thing I've seen around here is their last name changes after being here a couple years.

hillman
thats interesting!
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins,Colorado
42 posts, read 134,515 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Just because someone speaks Spanish or with a Hispanic accent doesn't make someone "illegal". Most of the Hispanic immigrants are legal and I don't need to come to Colorado; we have many Hispanic immigrants in my corner of SWMO. They make good neighbors, good students, and good parishioners.

You may beed to make that trip here.Just because yours are good neighbors ,dont mean that all of them are.I am considering moving there for a reason.I just asked a question.Don't get so shook up about it.How do you know that I'm not hispanic?Talk about stereotyping! Sounds to me like you assumed I was white.
 
Old 08-29-2009, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Reputation: 1556
Wink Never assume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving colorado View Post
How do you know that I'm not hispanic?Talk about stereotyping! Sounds to me like you assumed I was white.


Good point. And having lived in Central CA, I know of which you speak.

I don't see very many potential illegals 'round these parts. Y'know...the ones that run when a cop car drives up.
 
Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Rolla, Phelps County, Ozarks, Missouri
1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving colorado View Post
How do you know that I'm not hispanic?Talk about stereotyping! Sounds to me like you assumed I was white.
Well, if you are, I understand that graffiti and brotherhoods (gangs) are an important part of your culture. I'd just as soon, though, that you left those aspects of your culture there where you are. I'm not one who is tolerant of either; I guess Lake Junkie might be right about my alleged racism. Don't worry, though, I'm old and people like me are dying off. In the new world, white men will be in the minority, so you can spray paint to your heart's delight, exercising an important aspect of your culture.
 
Old 08-29-2009, 08:10 PM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,694,899 times
Reputation: 952
Hey leaving colorado one reason I came back to Missouri from Colorado I had a Mexican girl living with me.She give me a Heads up on places to live and Jobs.Couldn't get either one because I wasn't Mexican,which I felt was pure BS.

Oh I did find a place to live and a Job but had to put up with alot got a Low paying Seasonal Job and place not in the area I wanted to live.

As far as Illegals I have went to several of their parties in the area and know several.But I still don't like what their doing to the area.

hillman
 
Old 08-29-2009, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Reputation: 6183
The latest telephone poll taken by the California Governor's office asked whether people who live in California think illegal immigration is a serious problem:

29% responded, - "Yes, it is a serious problem."

71% responded, - "No es una problema seriosa."
 
Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 PM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,694,899 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
The latest telephone poll taken by the California Governor's office asked whether people who live in California think illegal immigration is a serious problem:

29% responded, - "Yes, it is a serious problem."

71% responded, - "No es una problema seriosa."




hillman
 
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Fort Collins,Colorado
42 posts, read 134,515 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Well, if you are, I understand that graffiti and brotherhoods (gangs) are an important part of your culture. I'd just as soon, though, that you left those aspects of your culture there where you are. I'm not one who is tolerant of either; I guess Lake Junkie might be right about my alleged racism. Don't worry, though, I'm old and people like me are dying off. In the new world, white men will be in the minority, so you can spray paint to your heart's delight, exercising an important aspect of your culture.
I am starting to think that you can't read....I said I was leaving Colorado for a reason.How dare you say that spray painting and gangs are a part of my culture.It may be part of Juan's that lives in section 8 housing,but I assure you it's not mine.The fact that I am moving says that I am not so tolerant either.I live in Fort Collins which is a very very nice town.My husband whom is white is a manager at an apartment complex and here lately has been cleaning off graffiti of property signs,I have seen a few of this around town as well.Just because a person is hispanic doesnt mean they wanna live in a trailor park 20 deep with the rest of them.I think you should take that into consideration next time you wanna start making allegations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top