U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2009, 10:37 PM
 
Location: republic
429 posts, read 599,239 times
Reputation: 330

Advertisements

buy a book so you can identify them and they wont bother you so much.really they wont hurt you if you wont bother them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Rolla, Phelps County, Ozarks, Missouri
1,069 posts, read 2,173,668 times
Reputation: 1252
Friend of mine told me about how when he was much younger, he and a bunch of friends were swimming in the river while enjoying some of Missouri's beverage products. He jumped into the river and when he came back out, one of his friends said, "Hey, hold on, I'll get it." There was a water moccasin still hanging from his should blade. They took him to the hospital; he swelled up pretty big.

He said he was also bitten by a copperhead and didn't bother with the hospital; just drank distilled spirits.

I sometimes question the wisdom of my redneck buddies.

Are you sure you want to move here and live amongst these creatures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 11:58 PM
 
169 posts, read 342,603 times
Reputation: 196
I was fishing in Dry Fork up to my thighs in the creek one summer. Trying to put a plug along the opposite bank, I didn't notice a water moccasin coming down the current. He curled up on my leg about 1/2 way up from my knee. I froze.... I don't think I even took a breath for about 6 minutes. He swam out into the current toward the other side and I broke my rod whaling on him. That was one of four snakes I saw in seven years other than ribbon snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,694,421 times
Reputation: 952
Me and my BIL was checking Limb Lines one day.He was up front of the Boat,I was pulling up into some brush.Told him to watch for a Snake I seen just to give him a Heads Up.Well the Snake fell in the Boat,my BIL jumps out. I told him your suppose to throw the Snake out of the Boat not throw yourself out.

My wife can tell what kind of Snake I'm dealing with by my hollering.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 21,131,710 times
Reputation: 5033
I live in the country in MO. I work outside regularly (gardening and such). I probably saw 2 - 3 at most, and they immediately ran away. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have some deepseated compulsion to lift up rocks and dig through large brushpiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins,Colorado
42 posts, read 134,467 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I live in the country in MO. I work outside regularly (gardening and such). I probably saw 2 - 3 at most, and they immediately ran away. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have some deepseated compulsion to lift up rocks and dig through large brushpiles.
No I would never........Thanks for all the stories.i defiantly will not be able to sleep tonight.Maybe a book about them would help ,so I would know what I was dealing with if i saw one.I honestly don't want to see them at all.Before I go to bed at nightI check under my bed,in my closet,in my bed,look behind dressers,just to settle my nerves so I can sleep.It sounds crazy.My worst nighmare is a big black snake slithering on my bed while I am sleeping.In my dreams I wake up and its staring me in the face.I am doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,353,623 times
Reputation: 6183
Snakes aren't that bad, them Chiggers though...............Here's some quotes from a Missouri Goverment website:The worst thing about the Missouri summer isn't sunburn, heat or humidity-it's chiggers.

Chiggers first show up as annoying red bumps. An itch begins. It grows. More hard red welts surface. From your feet and ankles upward, and especially at those tender locations your mother told not to scratch in public, a maddening itch takes hold.

Savage scratching begins. Every welt becomes a persistent, exquisitely itching preoccupation that continues to irritate for days and even weeks.
The reason the bite itches so intensely and for such a long time is because the chigger injects saliva into its victim after attaching to the skin. This saliva contains a powerful digestive enzyme that literally dissolves the skin cells it contacts. It is this liquefied tissue, never blood, that the chigger ingests and uses for food.


read the article ~~~>Chiggers! (http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
 
1,255 posts, read 2,694,421 times
Reputation: 952
Oh I forgot couple good ones.At least once a year mowing Grass I will get attacked by Yellow Jackets.This year was sure fun it wasn't Yellow Jackets but some Bees,them suckers wouldn't give up,they chaced me into the house.I was fighting Bees,my Jack Russell seen I was excited,so he thought he better join in.

We have Bald Face Hornets that like to build Nest about Head High in the brush.They will not give up Stinging and chasing you.

Plus we have Scorpions,not as Bad as the ones in the West but can sure sting you.

Ticks aren't Bad,you spend two hours in the woods,spend two days picking them off.

And lets not forget Mosquitoes and No Seeums they are just throwed in for good measure.

Hey how many Poisones Spiders do we have?

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 PM
 
Location: NW. MO.
1,817 posts, read 5,767,881 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Oh I forgot couple good ones.At least once a year mowing Grass I will get attacked by Yellow Jackets.This year was sure fun it wasn't Yellow Jackets but some Bees,them suckers wouldn't give up,they chaced me into the house.I was fighting Bees,my Jack Russell seen I was excited,so he thought he better join in.

We have Bald Face Hornets that like to build Nest about Head High in the brush.They will not give up Stinging and chasing you.

Plus we have Scorpions,not as Bad as the ones in the West but can sure sting you.

Ticks aren't Bad,you spend two hours in the woods,spend two days picking them off.

And lets not forget Mosquitoes and No Seeums they are just throwed in for good measure.

Hey how many Poisones Spiders do we have?

hillman
Nope, no spiders there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: NW. MO.
1,817 posts, read 5,767,881 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving colorado View Post
No I would never........Thanks for all the stories.i defiantly will not be able to sleep tonight.Maybe a book about them would help ,so I would know what I was dealing with if i saw one.I honestly don't want to see them at all.Before I go to bed at nightI check under my bed,in my closet,in my bed,look behind dressers,just to settle my nerves so I can sleep.It sounds crazy.My worst nighmare is a big black snake slithering on my bed while I am sleeping.In my dreams I wake up and its staring me in the face.I am doomed.
I lived in Northern Missouri for 2 years. Only snake we came across was one in the front yard my cat was toying with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top