U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Reputation: 1556

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
We definitely have snake habitat all around the perimeter of our yard, and even more so this year after the January ice storm. Brush piles are very good snake habitat !
Well there you go...I purposely clear away any potential snake "habitat" from any of the areas that I will be walking, sitting, standing, dining or swimming.

So maybe, in this discussion of snakes in Missouri, there is a variable that depends on whether you invite the critters to stick around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,467,617 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Well there you go...I purposely clear away any potential snake "habitat" from any of the areas that I will be walking, sitting, standing, dining or swimming.

So maybe, in this discussion of snakes in Missouri, there is a variable that depends on whether you invite the critters to stick around...
Good point - about that variable as why maybe some don't see snakes as much as others might. However, since my husband is 83 and I am 77 I would like to invite you to come clean up our brush piles.

Also, since our nearest neighbors are 600 feet away or farther, it is not endangering them. The woods that surround our place are our own. The only ones who have any business walking, sitting, or standing by our brush piles is the two of us, and our son and his three teen daughters. They are not apt to be around the brush piles until around Thanksgiving time, if even then, and I am sure there will be no snakes active then. Our yard is about one acre of cleared land, that I keep mowed! It surrounds our house. There is no trash or brush in it!

We have had brush piles around in our woods the entire 25 years that we have lived here, and as posted earlier, we do not see that many snakes. This entire conversation is bordering on being very silly , since my husband is the 3th generation of his family that have lived in this area, and none of them have been paranoid about snakes!

We also have deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, skunks, bear, a large variety of birds, and numerous insects! We are not necessarily fond of all of them, but that is what happens when one lives in the Ozark woods!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-14-2009 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: modified to remove some unintentional stinging... ;)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: south Missouri
438 posts, read 912,430 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
We also have deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, skunks, bear, a large variety of birds, and numerous insects! We are not necessarily fond of all of them, but that is what happens when one lives in the Ozark woods!

Yes, it is! I spent about a dozen years living in the Ozark woods and that's the basic experience. Most of the critters we didn't mind and even enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 05:10 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,862,752 times
Reputation: 12719
Found a snake in the basement the other day: small, no larger than an average sized worm. After doing some research in an amphibian field guide I was able to identify it as "Southern Ring Neck". As no mention was made of danger in the book I suspected it to be non-poisonous and re-located it about 75 yds away from the house at the edge of the cornfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,467,617 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Found a snake in the basement the other day: small, no larger than an average sized worm. After doing some research in an amphibian field guide I was able to identify it as "Southern Ring Neck". As no mention was made of danger in the book I suspected it to be non-poisonous and re-located it about 75 yds away from the house at the edge of the cornfield.

Good for you .
I welcome all small garden snakes into my yard and gardens. They eat a multitude of insects and rodents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: south Missouri
438 posts, read 912,430 times
Reputation: 288
This morning I went to take a potted plant back to the porch because it looked puny inside and there was a big bull snake slithering away from me on the front porch.

I caught it with a big gallon glass jar and when hubby came home at lunch, he took it back to release in a big conservation area near his job.

It was very feisty, kept trying to strike but bull snakes are that way.

Plus the weather is about to change and that tends to make the snakes cranky.

So watch for snakes - they're out and about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 AM
 
27 posts, read 50,574 times
Reputation: 31
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
7 posts, read 32,950 times
Reputation: 16
Well, I don't have time to read all of these posts, but I was raised 100m E of Springfield.
To generalize: If you're around ponds, lakes & rivers there is a great chance of snakes,
If you're in the woods there's a chance of snakes,
If you don't keep the rubbish, junk piles and brush cleaned up there is a chance of snakes,
Or skunks, or possums or coons ....................

In my opinion there is only one kind of snake: It is a Black rattleheaded copper moccasin and should be considered deadly!
Also watch out for those mama saki rattlers!!

Timmie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 AM
 
10,157 posts, read 9,909,396 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCOWBOY3 View Post
Well, I don't have time to read all of these posts, but I was raised 100m E of Springfield.
To generalize: If you're around ponds, lakes & rivers there is a great chance of snakes,
If you're in the woods there's a chance of snakes,
If you don't keep the rubbish, junk piles and brush cleaned up there is a chance of snakes,
Or skunks, or possums or coons ....................

In my opinion there is only one kind of snake: It is a Black rattleheaded copper moccasin and should be considered deadly!
Also watch out for those mama saki rattlers!!

Timmie
Would that snake be related to the dreaded
RATTLEHEADED COPPERMOUTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
7 posts, read 32,950 times
Reputation: 16
It is a descendant of the Rattleheaded Coppermouth yes.
Commonly found everywhere you don't want to be but have to be there.
It has been known to consume small dogs, cats and chickens during a full moon.

Timmie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top