U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCOWBOY3 View Post
It is a descendant of the Rattleheaded Coppermouth yes.
Commonly found everywhere you don't want to be but have to be there.
It has been known to consume small dogs, cats and chickens during a full moon.

Timmie
I hear Mo-Mo keeps some as pets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM

270 posts, read 569,771 times
Snakes are common everywhere in MO except in cities. I for one am glad they are here eating mice and other rodents but I don't really like looking at them much. Fortunately I think they spend most of their time hiding.

Keeping grass mowed and junk picked up will keep them out of your yard for the most part, save the occasional one that is cutting across to get somewhere else. Also if you dont like snakes try to stay inside a city as there are lots less snakes in cities. The water snakes also stink real bad if you try to pick them up. I wouldn't suggest ever touching one. I picked one up once when I was younger to show off and the stink glad makes yer hand smell real bad lol

Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 19,032 times
Yes ... Missouri has snakes in SOME areas. And, in Warsaw, with lots of rock ... you ARE going to have to deal with snakes. I built a new home in 1995 on a beautiful rock bluff in a perfect sitting only to have to deal with COPPERHEADS for the next 7 years (until I sold and moved). We had them all around the house, in the timber (under things we lifted up), and even slithering across our driveway after dark! I HATE SNAKES . . . and it ruined my life in the "home of our dreams" until we got out of there.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 AM

8 posts, read 16,637 times
Okay, this is fer-eacking me out.

I am looking to relocate to Saint Louis from Northern Cal. Do these snake probs exist in your basic Saint Louis southside neighborhoods--Bevo Mill, Shrewsbury, University City, The hill, Maplewood, Tower grove? i know I am all over the map but there are some amazing looking inexpensive houses in these neighboehoods with yards I'd like to garden in without encountering much more than an occasional garter snake.

this stuff about snakes coming in houses, living under blankies, in attics--- !in these above neighborhoods?!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:33 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,229,428 times
My dad picked up two bricks once and found two little snakes curled up in the round holes in the brick. I also once had a rat snake in my room, but that's because I had a small hole in my wall where cables used to run through. But I live in a rural area. I've never encountered a dangerous snake personally, though.

The kind of snakes you get also depends I think on what part of Missouri you are in, as well as whether you are in the city or not. I would think in an urban area you would be unlikely to have many snakes, other than the occasional garden snake.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM

165 posts, read 373,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May Garsson View Post

I am looking to relocate to Saint Louis from Northern Cal. Do these snake probs exist in your basic Saint Louis southside neighborhoods--Bevo Mill, Shrewsbury, University City, The hill, Maplewood, Tower grove? i know I am all over the map but there are some amazing looking inexpensive houses in these neighboehoods with yards I'd like to garden in without encountering much more than an occasional garter snake.

this stuff about snakes coming in houses, living under blankies, in attics--- !in these above neighborhoods?!
No, you won't have these problems in city neighborhoods. I grew up in the country and snakes were just a part of daily life - we had quite a few in our house and everywhere around it over the years. I've lived in the St. Louis metro area for 11 years now and have maybe seen one snake, but I'm not sure if I've even seen one.

You won't have a snake problem in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Wink They're more scared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Garsson View Post

Remember what your scout leader told you...? They're more scared of you than you are of them...

The greater the population, the fewer the snakes. Part of the equation is, of course, we kill them. Not all snakes are bad, remember...

Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
Default Missouri snakes

Our friend retired to SW Missouri and he lives in a wooded area near a lake. I haven't heard him say much about snakes and he fishes all the time. I have heard other people talk about water moccasins near the lakes before though. I think you just have to be careful, there are snakes everywhere, and spiders and other creatures.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
I have to agree with Blutime, i was born and have lived my whole life in Missouri and have always lived in the country. Yes there are snakes, both good and bad. But they're not out to get you. Like others have said, usually if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I just watched a show on tv a couple days ago and this professional snake guy said one of the biggest misconceptions about snakes are that they're mean and out to get you. Most generally when people get bitten it's because they have stepped in the snakes territory. Just always where good boots when in the thick. We live on 300 acres in Oldfield, MO and in the summer time I ALWAYS where my flip flops when I'm working outside in the garden or mowing, i go out and shut my chickens up at night. I just pay attention to where I'm walking. We also have Mountain Cur dogs and they will kill a snake in a heartbeat. They're excellent dogs. Come on to Missouri, you'll love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area