U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM

42 posts, read 134,428 times

Advertisements

Yall are scaring me to death with all this watch out for the snakes.Is it that bad?? I really wanna live in the country.Is seeing snakes something I'm gonna endure often? Will they get in your house.OMG I would die! Just die!I am originally from TN. so is that comparible?If so its not THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,684,828 times
Cool Snakes...schmakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving colorado View Post
Yall are scaring me to death with all this watch out for the snakes.Is it that bad?? I really wanna live in the country.Is seeing snakes something I'm gonna endure often? Will they get in your house.OMG I would die! Just die!I am originally from TN. so is that comparible?If so its not THAT bad.
Leaving CO...I've been living in MOSTLY rural areas since I got to Missouri 17 years ago. I've seen a total of 3 snakes.

The first was hanging around a guy's neck at a swimming hole near Diggins.

The second was swimming along merrily at the edge of the lake. It was brown with a diamond pattern...I googled it and discovered it was a brown diamond back, definitely not poisonous. It was about 3/4 of an inch in diameter, about 12" long. The kids next door were swimming & playing...he kept hanging around them, like he wanted to play. He, sadly, got up in my boat motor and didn't get to play any more.

The third was a big black King snake...my good hillbilly friends told me that they're "good" snakes that eat ticks & grubs & nasty insect-y type critters so they're GOOD snakes!

I don't know why people make it seem like the ground is littered with snakes here...other than those folk determined to single handedly hold down the immigration numbers into Missouri...(you know who you are)...it's like anywhere! In Northern CA...we had lots of snakes out in the country. I remember seeing little rattlers on trails, and snakes near the rivers...

Are there snake population statistics available?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post

I don't know why people make it seem like the ground is littered with snakes here...other than those folk determined to single handedly hold down the immigration numbers into Missouri...(you know who you are)...it's like anywhere! In Northern CA...we had lots of snakes out in the country. I remember seeing little rattlers on trails, and snakes near the rivers...
That would be me you are talking about.

Snakes certainly can be a problem, and the OP probably ought not move to rural Missouri. I've seen way more than 3 snakes since I moved my family here from Georgia back in 1953. I've seen copperheads in my garden and rattlers on the road while bicycling, in addition to non-venomous snakes.

Once while visiting friends at Table Rock, one of the kids came in and said there was snake curled up on the front porch. It turned out to be a baby copperhead.

People like the OP who are deathly afraid of snakes ought not move to Missouri, or if they do, they should stay on the pavement in St. Louis or Kansas city.

Not trying to keep the OP from moving here, just trying to be helpful.

Quote:
Will they get in your house.OMG I would die! Just die!
When I was a kid my grandmother had the back storm door propped open so she could carry boxes in and put them in the attic. She got up on a stepladder to open the hatch to the attic. She pushed it aside and something fell out, over her shoulder and down her back, landing on the floor. It was a black snake, which slithered away, out the open back door. Gives me the creeps, even though it was a harmless black snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I don't know why people make it seem like the ground is littered with snakes here...
Years ago, I visited a man who lived south of Rolla a few miles to see the earthen dam and lake he had built. He also had constructed a boardwalk around the perimeter of half the lake. When we went out on that boardwalk so he could explain the construction to me, he made sure we took along his scrappy little dog. He explained that he usually saw one or two copperheads either on the boardwalk, along its edge or in the rock bluff. Fortunately, there was no snake that day.

By the way, it is illegal to kill snakes in Missouri. They are considered a state resource.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-06-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 AM

2,502 posts, read 5,450,948 times
We saw these two beauties on our land in Mansfield. We were really impressed, and curious as to what they were. We think they are prairie king snakes, but the locals on here probably could tell better. They were about 3 1/2 feet long.
Attached Thumbnails
this is stupid i know...snakes in missouri-april-missouri-trip-029-small-2  

Old 08-29-2009, 01:23 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,684,828 times
Wink Snake research...

...yes, there are snakes in Missouri, and I don't mean to minimize the fact.

I'm just saying that I haven't seen many.

After we found the little brown diamondback, I went online so I could tell the GOOD snakes from the BAD snakes...you should, too!

Snakes of Missouri: Venomous Snakes (http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/snake2.htm - broken link)

Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM

870 posts, read 2,722,867 times
Default NEVER kill a black snake!!

All snakes are not bad! See these pictures

Why You Never Kill A Black Snake Gallery

In the 10 yrs we have been here, I've only had one encounter with a truly aggressive copperhead. I didn't WANT to kill him, but he kept coming at me, and he gave me no choice...

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,693,599 times
I've seen about every Snake you can think of here.Inside and outside the House.Mostly Copperheads as matter fact I had a couple doing the Wild Thing just outside my Front Door.

Seen Big Rattlers had a neighbor have half a Gallon Jar of Rattles.Both my Dogs have been bit,a neighbor kid got bit.

Had a place North of here that had several Rattlers.One time my SIL came to stay for awhile.She pulled in the drive I went to go greet her and there was a Rattler in the Hallway.I didn't have anything to kill it so I caught it and carried it past her coming in.She was having second thoughts on staying.

Had snakes so bad in the house my wife spread Moth Balls around so bad I couldn't stay in the house,got my Dog and slep in a Camper we had.

But have seen Cool Snakes like Spreadheads and Milk Snakes.

hillman

Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,351,136 times
Last Year I spent a week wandering around Northern Arkansas, Bella Vista was base camp ( Wifie's Uncle's House), Spent a day on Beaver Lake, another on a little lake in Bella Vista, and several days fishing in a little creek behind uncle's house...I saw more snakes in that week than I would see in California in 5 years......and this is from a guy who fishes 50 times a year, and hikes, and camps.. Most snakes in California are rattlers, racers, or gardeners....
I have no idea what all thoses snakes in Arkansas were. I only responded to this thread because Bella Vista is right over the Missouri State line..........

Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 PM

246 posts, read 547,659 times
We made several trips back and forth before we finally moved
for good. On one trip I had left a blanket outside on the porch,
and went and picked it up and put it in the breezeway. It was there
all day on the floor. Later I picked it up and moved the blanket.
Yet later again I turned on the light in the breezeway and there
was a pretty good sized snake. I did what any normal human
would do - I screamed. No one came running so I screamed
again. Son and hubby came to find out what the commotion
was about. Hubby grabbed a bar be cue tonge and the snake
curled around it. He took it out across the road and let it go....
much to my dismay he brought the tonge back (I would have thrown
the tonge and the snake into the field, LOL). It was hard opening
that door for him while he was holding that tonge with a snake
wrapped around it!

If I would have been here alone that day I proabably would have...
called the sheriff or something.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:08 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,063,688 times
Quote:
I lived on the edge of 300 acres of Ozark woodlands for about eight years, Only had one blacksnake in the house. Most snakes I came across were harmless. The others I just stepped around. They don't want to bother you any more than you wish to bother them. The only precaution I took was to wear baggy pants with good sturdy boots if I were out tromping in the woods. I have done herping since I was a child, I'm in my 50's and haven't been bitten by a venomous snake yet. Pretty good odds for someone who seeks them out. Just use common sense when in thick brush, such as not wearing flip flops thru the brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area