U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,954 times

Advertisements

I was born in rockawaybeachin1948 Iworked in the dance pavillion where the riot started,can't remember if it was 1965 or 1964 does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,954 times
Default remembering Rockaway

I was born in rockaway in 1948, it was a great place to grow up. I still have family there. I was working at the dance pavillion when the riot broke out in the mid 60's. I can't remember if it was 1964 or 1965. Does anyone remember for sure? It's been the subject of many arguments. I checked the Springfield newspaper archives but they don't give a specific year.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM

16 posts, read 15,168 times
Default Bring Rockaway back!

Rockaway was GREAT in the 60's. I would love to see it come back. I am trying to help. I have recently finished a novel that is centered in Rockaway and with the good Lord's help I hope someone might want to make a movie out of it and film it there. O well, Pipe dreams.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM

969 posts, read 2,459,234 times
We went there forever until we moved when I was 10 - but my first memory is when I was 5 or 6 (1960-61) I remember my parents would drive from Long Island - meet my grandparents and thier friends from Queens in the beach area in front of Howes Baths - they would give me a DOLLAR to play 20 games of Skeeball - sometimes I won enough coupons to win CIGARETTES that I would bring back to the men playing Pinocle (sp) or the women playing Mah Jon (sp) - teenagers would give me a quarter to play the jukebox.
This was in the day when a 5 or 6 year old could be allowed to go off for that long alone.
I would also try to dig to China.
Wonderful memories.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Default Rockaway roit

The roit was in 1965. I wasn't there. I was working at Roaring River, 40 miles away. It really wasn't much of a roit. I was in Chicago during the convention of 68-now that was an event.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 PM

207 posts, read 338,480 times
Rockaway has so much potential to be great again. I wish I could have been around to see it in its prime.

I love all the stone cottages and beautiful views of the lake and bluffs surrounding it. It reminds me a bit of a village in the Scottish highlands set on a loch. You can tell there isn't much employment nearby, sadly. Maybe as Table Rock continues to develop more and more upscale, Forysth and Rockaway Beach will see more vacationers opt for Taneycomo and Bull Shoals for more affordable getaways, thus bringing in more tourist dollars. You can get a really nice home for not a lot of money right on the water, with dock in Rockaway.

The only problem is it's pretty cold for swimming most of the time, but the fishing is good.

I'd like to know the story of the Chinese pagoda style house on the east end of Rockaway. It always piques my interest when I'm down there.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
Cool riot at rockaway beach

I graduated from High School in saint joseph, MO in 1963. We went to Rockaway beach for our Senior graduating trip. While we were there a couple of bikers got in trouble with the police and this started such a riot. Tons of guys were walking down the street making grunting sounds, breaking out store windows, and turning over cars. There were so many people arrested they had to be on the court house lawn with a rope around it. I will never forget it. I wonder if anyone here remembers it? I would really like to know what band was playing there. I know they got really popular. I think they just arrested the guys, and just told all the girls to go home.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Default Rockaway

Rockaway's biker convention of 1965 is generally considered the end of their "Glory Days". And believe me it was a really fantastic place for young folks in the early 60's. It is much different now. If you are really interested, I suggest reading an e-book on kindle titled "Stone Face: For Horses Running".

Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msqueeze View Post
I graduated from High School in saint joseph, MO in 1963. We went to Rockaway beach for our Senior graduating trip. While we were there a couple of bikers got in trouble with the police and this started such a riot. Tons of guys were walking down the street making grunting sounds, breaking out store windows, and turning over cars. There were so many people arrested they had to be on the court house lawn with a rope around it. I will never forget it. I wonder if anyone here remembers it? I would really like to know what band was playing there. I know they got really popular. I think they just arrested the guys, and just told all the girls to go home.

Really, came all the way from St. Joe? My class from Cassville went there in 64 for our senior trip and since I have always lived a few miles away, I go there often. There were some incidents in 63, but the actual so called "riot" that made national news didn't come down until 65. I was working at Roaring River which is up the creek a ways.
Anyway, if you really interested in Rockaway, I would suggest an e-book on kindle titled: "Stone Face: For Horses Running. It is an historical novel set in Rockaway.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM

Default Rockaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
Rockaway has so much potential to be great again. I wish I could have been around to see it in its prime.

I love all the stone cottages and beautiful views of the lake and bluffs surrounding it. It reminds me a bit of a village in the Scottish highlands set on a loch. You can tell there isn't much employment nearby, sadly. Maybe as Table Rock continues to develop more and more upscale, Forysth and Rockaway Beach will see more vacationers opt for Taneycomo and Bull Shoals for more affordable getaways, thus bringing in more tourist dollars. You can get a really nice home for not a lot of money right on the water, with dock in Rockaway.

The only problem is it's pretty cold for swimming most of the time, but the fishing is good.

I'd like to know the story of the Chinese pagoda style house on the east end of Rockaway. It always piques my interest when I'm down there.
There is an historical fiction novel on kindle titled: "Stone Face: For Horses Running" that has many pictures of Rockaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area