U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,775 times

Advertisements

We are planning on relocating to the Springfield area this next spring. We have found some nice places in Ozark, Mo. I have heard that there are brown recluse spiders in Missouri and I have been reading up on them and now I am scared to move there!! Has anyone ever seen one or worse yet been bitten by one and if so please tell me about your experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 AM

438 posts, read 912,279 times
There are brown recluse spiders but I don't think they are such a problem that you should avoid moving to the area.

Most of the time, you don't see them. They tend to hide - hence the name brown recluse - and if you are bitten, it's likely you never saw the spider.

I was bitten about eighteen, nineteen years ago by one. Although a friend urged me to get medical care, I was young and had poor insurance so instead I soaked it in Epson salts for hours and it didn't get too bad. I have seen bites, however, that were much worse.

My editor at the local paper was recently bitten and he had a worst case scenario.

Here's a link to how he described his experience:

Spider bites, infections aren’t much fun - Neosho, MO - Neosho Daily News (http://www.neoshodailynews.com/opinions/columnists/x1886193618/Spider-bites-infections-aren-t-much-fun - broken link)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,233 times
Almost every building in Missouri will have brown recluses in some dark, quiet corner. However, the vast majority of people will never get bitten. You are FAR more likely to be in a car wreck or cut yourself while cooking-that doesn't stop you from doing either, does it? Make yourself familiar with what they look like,and if you see one, squash it with a shoe or paper towel. Hiring an exterminator to spray periodically can also help. Other suggestions:
1. Store things in plastic tubs, not cardboard boxes. For some reason, they like cardboard.
2. Shake out shoes that haven't been worn for a long period of time
3. Don't reach blindly into a dark space. Use a flashlight and make some noise first so they will scuttle away.
4. Use leather gloves if moving old furniture.
My husband rolled on a brown recluse in bed one night (old, crappy, dark rental house). He got bitten on the back of the arm. Two days later the area was red with a black spot in the middle and he felt nauseous. A short trip to the ER and some antibiotics later, all he had left was a small scar. Just like with any infection, quick treatment is the key. They can cause a lot of tissue damage if left untreated. Lots of so-called recluse bites are actually staph infections secondary to mosquito or other bites. Unless you actually see the spider, there is no way to tell. It doesn't matter, treatment is the same. So just use caution, and odds are you will never have a problem. Worry more about drivers texting on the road and come on down!
Note: the description of the spider bite in the article mentioned above is not usual. Most people never feel it, and instead of a lump notice a painless red area which turns black in the middle as the tissue necroses. Fever, nausea, chills and other symptoms of systemic infection follow if untreated. I have to wonder if he might have had an assassin bug or other bug bite instead....either way, he should have gone to the doctor MUCH sooner!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

Last edited by firebll31; 09-15-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,767,881 times
You can have your home sprayed before you ever move into it for starters. Then you can use those plastic containers to store clothing and such (like winter clothing or blankets) so nothing gets in there and generally keep anuything of clutter picked up and do some web and spider checks if you like once in a while and you should feel better.

My hubby has family in Joplin and they haven't had any problems with the spiders.

I'm up here in N. Ca. and I was evidently bitten by something a few years ago and my finger swelled up pretty big and started looking bad pretty fast. I went to the Dr. and had to take antibiotics and benadryl for it. It's fine now though and who knows what bit me, I've never had a reaction like that before to anything. So anyway no matter where you are, there is always something is my point I guess.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 AM

23 posts, read 56,016 times
Default First brown recluse

Back in the early 60's I was working for Orkin out of St. Louis and myself and another guy were in the crawl space of an older house west of the city, and I looked up and saw a spider, identified it as a brown recluse. Told my work partner, he tried to stand up, (in a crawl space) and escape. Anyway it was documented as the first brown recluse found west of the Mississippi.
Not sure if that was true or not (about it being the first one discovered), but it was pretty exciting.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,013 times
I ask, not faceciously, but for information: Is there anywhere in the lower 48 free of the brown recluse?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,353,623 times
From Wikipedia:
The brown recluse spider is native to the United States from the southern Midwest south to the Gulf of Mexico. The native range lies roughly south of a line from southeastern Nebraska through southern Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana to southwestern Ohio. In the southern states, it is native from central Texas to western Georgia and north of Virginia.[2][3] A related species, the brown violin spider (Loxosceles rufescens), is found in Hawaii.[4] Despite many rumors to the contrary, the brown recluse spider has not established itself in California.[5] There are other species of Loxosceles native to the southwestern part of the United States, including California, that may resemble the brown recluse, but these species have never been documented as medically significant.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 20,499 times
I see lots of these spiders in the Midwest. I've killed more than my fair share of them, though I don't think they're specific to Ozark particularly. lol

Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 PM

438 posts, read 912,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.D.S. View Post
I see lots of these spiders in the Midwest. I've killed more than my fair share of them, though I don't think they're specific to Ozark particularly. lol

No, they're not. I think they are native to all of Missouri and many other states as well.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer63 View Post
We are planning on relocating to the Springfield area this next spring. We have found some nice places in Ozark, Mo. I have heard that there are brown recluse spiders in Missouri and I have been reading up on them and now I am scared to move there!! Has anyone ever seen one or worse yet been bitten by one and if so please tell me about your experience.
I have seen two in the past two years. And I have known people who have been bitten. Everybody reacts differently. Some bad some worse.

There are good remedies out there. Most older folks know how to treat the bites that do not involved cutting away huge pieces of flesh, like the doctor's are prone to do. I am told that there is a vinegar and baking soda cure but I don't know the details. Hydrogen peroxide is good too.

Anyway, it's foolish to live in fear. No matter where you go there are spiders and snakes and flesh eating bacteria and brain eating microbes, and MSRA and heaven only knows what else. Just live your life and stop worrying about stuff.

20yrwsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area