U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,638,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
City people dump their unwanted animals in the country and tell their kids that the animals will find their way to a farm where the farmer will take care of them. The farmer doesn't want strays on his property, so he just shoots them.

The moral: Don't dump your unwanted animals in the country.
I disagree, as many animals are dumped by country folk themselves - and honestly from what I've seen as I've lived in rural/country areas practically all my life, most strays that are dropped off are done so by our country brethren - with the misguided thought that they are doing the creature good, by giving it a chance at life, instead of taking it to the pound or, and I do not state the following lightly, killing it. Not saying that "city" people don't do such, but IMHO its done by people, city and country, and I don't really give a rats arse where they come from - its terrible shame, both to the former pet and to the native creatures that now have a new predator in their midst. People need upfront to have better control of their desires and of their pets - spade or neutered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
I disagree, as many animals are dumped by country folk themselves - and honestly from what I've seen as I've lived in rural/country areas practically all my life, most strays that are dropped off are done so by our country brethren - with the misguided thought that they are doing the creature good, by giving it a chance at life, instead of taking it to the pound or, and I do not state the following lightly, killing it.
You may be right. We always assumed the animals that showed up at our place came from city folks. We thought our neighbors had more sense and would know dumped animals would eventually either die of hunger or get shot by us or someone like us. It's sad to have to shoot a dumped animal, but you just can't keep them.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 AM

438 posts, read 912,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The moral: Don't dump your unwanted animals in the country.

I agree and disagree that a lot are from the country. Out where I lived for more than a decade, there was an old iron bridge no longer used and a new concrete bridge over a major creek. There was a small turn out by the old bridge where people often fish but they also used it for dumping pets. I've seen too many cars dump a pet then hightail back to town, with the dog running after the car for as long as they could follow.

I've also talked with too many town folks who think that everyone in the country is just waiting with open arms to feed and shelter all their cast off animals.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,180 times
Default Oh, good heavens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaze View Post
Well, I certainly hope this is not the case. I would freak out at such cruelty. I am planning a move to the Branson area (from California) and my pets are like my kids. Where I'm from, our pets ARE like our kids and are very loved and protected. Please tell me you are joking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaze View Post
Well then. I guess I will just have to open a shelter for such animals, won't I? Y'all got a crazy cat lady that lives around you? Or know of one? I will be the crazy dog, horse, cat, etc lady. No humans allowed though. I'll shoot them particular critters for any perceived misbehavior or if they just need getting rid of.
bhaze...please know that some of the comments made on forums like this are made simply to elicit a response. I don't see any difference HERE in the way people feel about/take care of their pets than they do in California. Most of my friends think of their pets as members of the family...actually as better than members of the family...

There's a bunch of us from California here...once in a while we even get together for coffee! Would love to meet you, let us know if you want to pick our collective brains!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 17,297 times
It all goes back to choices and why people got the pet to begin with? I have worked in the pet industry for years and have seen the worst and the best. It's everywhere. If they were not chosen because they really wanted them its that much easier to get rid of them. There's no want, bond or conscience to what may happen to it, or if the animal dies. Obviously from the replies if you have to tell your kid a story/lie about why your dumping rover in the country...It's not the right thing to do. You take the responsibility for keeping a living breathing thing ie, child, animal, etc... you are responsible for it's welfare. If you think you may have to shoot it or dump it because it is not useful anymore or inconvenient, then maybe you shouldn't of gotten it in the first place! lol
Even people. If you dumped them out in the middle of the country I am sure would have a hard time getting by. Disposable societies are everywhere, in slick cities and in the country but doesn't give humanity the scapegoat for being cruel and ignorant. I really feel for the animal that got the crap shoot to get owners like that. They didn't have the choice. Embrace knowledge and good will not ignorance. That's why this world is in so much trouble!
Oh so anyone posting ridiculous things if just for effect, you should know it may be fun for you to get a rise out of people but when you are collectively categorized negatively than you can thank yourself for that. haha.. As for the sincere people. I understand and have seen it other places, no offense to you. It's unfortunate...

Last edited by searchin4paradise; 05-27-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 08:54 PM

62 posts, read 107,579 times
Default Country critters.

Raised on a farm 60 odd years ago.
I've always enjoyed animals around me, even kids .
In Branson, I kept Jack Russell terriors, great companions, very loyal and clean.
My main home was in Hollister on half an acre, used to be much cheaper on the Hollister side of Taney Como, for an extra 5 minutes drive.
I saw a dog beaten to death by its owner, the owner ended up in hospital. Dogs were left tied up next to their kennels in ice and snow, water frozen, owners away for the weekend ! I made dozens of trips with drums of warm water and dog food which they inhaled.
Was I wasting my time, I dont know, but in all conscience I could not drive past an animal suffering such inhumanity.
Killing chickens, rabbits, deer for meat, now thats a different matter.
In later years I actually managed a holiday in January and would leave my dogs at a pet palace out past Hollister. Good service and the dogs were not stressed out when I returned after 2 weeks.
I used to have 12 acres on Airport road outside of Branson, the dogs loved it there, free to roam, free room and board, no mortgage, free Vet and their very own human to buy them goodies.
I write this with my male Jack Russell curled up beside me, he never nags me, never complains if I get in late and his love is unconditional, ditto his doggy wife.
Sometimes I wish such love and devotion was in all people.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 PM

48 posts, read 97,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchin4paradise View Post
It all goes back to choices and why people got the pet to begin with? I have worked in the pet industry for years and have seen the worst and the best. It's everywhere. If they were not chosen because they really wanted them its that much easier to get rid of them. There's no want, bond or conscience to what may happen to it, or if the animal dies. Obviously from the replies if you have to tell your kid a story/lie about why your dumping rover in the country...It's not the right thing to do. You take the responsibility for keeping a living breathing thing ie, child, animal, etc... you are responsible for it's welfare. If you think you may have to shoot it or dump it because it is not useful anymore or inconvenient, then maybe you shouldn't of gotten it in the first place! lol
Even people. If you dumped them out in the middle of the country I am sure would have a hard time getting by. Disposable societies are everywhere, in slick cities and in the country but doesn't give humanity the scapegoat for being cruel and ignorant. I really feel for the animal that got the crap shoot to get owners like that. They didn't have the choice. Embrace knowledge and good will not ignorance. That's why this world is in so much trouble!
Oh so anyone posting ridiculous things if just for effect, you should know it may be fun for you to get a rise out of people but when you are collectively categorized negatively than you can thank yourself for that. haha.. As for the sincere people. I understand and have seen it other places, no offense to you. It's unfortunate...

We have a dog. Her name is Sophie. She's very sweet, and adorable, but she is my husbands dog. I don't feel much attatchment to her. If she were no longer a part of our lives, I wouldn't feel a void. But before you all think I'm a terrible person, let me just say that I feel a loyalty to her. We brought her into our home. She expects us to take care of her, and sees herself as part of our family. I'm not particularly an animal lover, nor am I an animal hater. She is our responsibility. Just like my son is my responsibility. Yes, there are days she drives me nuts and I say things like "I'm going to send you to live with someone else!" but I never would. Just like my son sometimes makes me nuts. It doesn't mean I should just get rid of him.

Some people see pets as expendable. But they aren't any more expendable than humans. Would you want your spouse to be like "Okay, I've had enough of you. " and then take you in the back yard and shoot you?! Well....

Anyway, if you don't want the responsibility of a pet, you shouldn't own one.

Good luck with your business endeavor, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area