U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:32 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Why are so many people, both native/longtime Missourians and newcomers/transplants/interlopers, so enamored with chain restaurants over hometown restaurants?

In Rolla, for instance, we had a nice Italian restaurant operated by a man named Cardetti, whose parents came from Italy and who used family recipes in his ristorante. It lasted awhile but closed due to lack of interest. Everybody wants the authentic Italian dining offered by Olive Garden instead, and the chamber and city have been working hard for years to bring one to Rolla. Maybe they'll eventually succeed so people can have real Italian food.
Just to clarify....I am not enamored with chain restaurants...just curious as to why Rogers would warrant a PF Changs. The only thing I eat there is their lettuce wraps which I find to be better than anywhere else....chain or otherwise. Exactly the type of "discussion" I wasn't trying to rile up.

I don't consider myself an interloper (I'm neither an illegal trader nor interfering with anything) or a new comer..Lived in St. Louis in the 80's, owned property here for 30 years, and physcially moved here 2 1/2 years ago. I love a good family owned restaurant that serves good, fresh, healthy food. But I'm also realistic enough to know that everyone has their own taste and budget preferences and I don't judge them.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 11-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,979,707 times
Thanks for the clarification about the shopping center, Mrs. Chilicook! It does sound like it might be a while before that shopping center is built, if ever.

This is helpful to know.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:51 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,427 times
Thumbs up Wahoo dear Snake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
In case you missed it, my "moving up" comment was laced with sarcasm.

I've lived in Missouri my entire life and grew up in a town with a 3-way stop sign that makes Springfield look like a thriving metropolis. I never asked anyone to bulldoze Battlefield and throw up a bean field or two so that I'd feel like I was back home. I know that you love to post for shock value and to scare the outsiders, but you're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm not the least bit intimidated by your ramblings and laugh at the ridiculous assumptions that you make.

You've managed to take an interesting discussion about stores & demographics and turn it into some fairy tale about the rapid destruction of mom and pop stores throughout Missouri. Well done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how often this occurs isn't it? A simple, interesting, and revealing exchange gets twisted (or attempts to) into some controversial not true fairytale. Love your input.

I've lived here three years and I love it the way it is (sans the tics, snakes, & ice storms). I don't want it changed to the Bay Area or Las Vegas where I used to live. I just wish for a TJ's.... A simple, but fairly unrealistic wish....

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
I'd love to see a White Castle make its way to Springfield, but apparently that's not going to happen either. I wouldn't eat WC very often, but every once in a while I miss the greasy sliders. At one point, I looked into franchise requirements for WC but found out that all American stores are company owned. Oh well.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 AM

2,383 posts, read 5,396,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Okay..I don't want to start a "you all want to change the area" dispute, but I have a general question. Yesterday I went to Rogers (pop. ~40,000) and ran across Hills at Prommandade (or something like that)..it was a beautiful outdoor walking/shopping/entertainment district. The retailers included Williamns Sonoma and Pottery Barn (sorry ladies, no Trader Joe's). They even had a PF Changs!

Anyone know whey Rogers which has ~1/4 of the population of Springfield, would warrant retailers like WS and PB? Is the average income that much higher? Or do the populations of the surrounding cities make it a larger "metro" area than Springfield?

Lunch at PF Chang's was wonderful as expected...but the tax on lunch! It was about 13%. The waiter said it was because my mom had a cocktail and they tax alcohol unbelievably high. Is that Ark. or just the county Rogers is located in?

It's a very nice area to shop and it has to do more with the vendors that sell to Wal-Mart than Wal-Mart itself. I know, I live in Bentonville! The vendors like MGA/Little Tykes, Maidenform, Kraft and so on, pay EXTREMELY well! Those are the people making the big bucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area