U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times

Advertisements

I know I'm late in this discussion, but I called my local independent insurance agent and asked her if there were problems getting insurance with a wood stove, and she said that as long as it's 12" from the wall with a non-combustible surface underneath, it should be cool.

I didn't think to ask about credit scores. Hmmm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM

44 posts, read 129,386 times
Yeah , and you might have alot more trouble with woodstoves if it's a manufactured home ... my buddy has a manufactured home in MO. and the insurance co. was going to drop him if he didn't take it out ..

It was one of those new efficient slow-burning yuppy stoves too, not like the old red-hot flue pipe types of ye olde days ...he had it professionally installed with a rock base and heat shielding rock on the walls ...it had a triple wall stovepipe ,etc, every safety thing you could think ... and all the insurance company could think about was the idea that they wanted no kind of woodstove in a manufactured home, even if the stove was federally approved for manufactured homes.

Is it a MO. statewide crackdown on woodstoves ? The old fella I bought my tractor from in MO. , he had a woodstove for ages in his tractor fixing shop ...and his insurance company came in last year and made him take it out . Whats wierd is that I'm staying in NJ right now , a state that competes with California for the country's most freedom-restricting laws , and I am choking on smoke from all the neighbor's woodstoves and yuppy hibachi patio warmer things ... LOL

Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
Default These days there are quite a number of GOOD QUALITY wood stoves...

The Problem is with The Insurance Companies, in they want ZERO RISK on their investment, and they also tend to be heavy investors in the OLI,GAS,and POWER Industries...

So they tell US the insured that we can only heat with OIL,GAS, or Electric POWER, they inform us of this by not insuring our homes if we ellect to use Cheap,Clean,Self Renewing FIREWOOD...

However, think about this, in the event of an earth quake, flood,ice storm, tornado, or other natural desaster, exactly how will OIL,GAS,or Electric Power help you ???

FIREWOOD has been heating man for millions of years, and without air, water, and food supply pollution...

However for the past 100 years or so, we have had Big Oil, they now own our Banks, our Government, our World, and this all came to be simply because we bought their OIL, and the products that came from their OIL...

For the last 55 years I lived in California, and have sold FIREWOOD by the sea shore, but now it just cost's too damn much to support the CRAZY, FRUIT CAKE COMMUNISTS, that enjoy living in the California sun...

So I bought a farm in Missouri, and I heat my home with FIREWOOD and I always will...

It comes down to this, in the end, YOU MUST DO WHAT YOU IN YOUR MIND, KNOW IS RIGHT FOR YOU...

AND I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN THAT HEATING WITH FIREWOOD IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO...

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 849 times
We want to install wood heat into an addition we r building onto our mobile home. Can we get home owners insurance if we do this if u have any suggestions they would b appreciated. we live in northeastern pa

Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine32112 View Post
We want to install wood heat into an addition we r building onto our mobile home. Can we get home owners insurance if we do this if u have any suggestions they would b appreciated. we live in northeastern pa
We have Foremost. They will let you have one if it is professionally installed.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 AM

572 posts, read 449,384 times
There seems to be a steady push to make burning wood for heat or cooking illegal. Its a nationwide thing. I would almost bet you could find stuff about it in agenda 21.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:17 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
There seems to be a steady push to make burning wood for heat or cooking illegal. Its a nationwide thing. I would almost bet you could find stuff about it in agenda 21.
It will never pass. You have too many people who have fireplaces in their houses. Too many "influential" people.

You might be able to ban it with city ordinances, but never in the country.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,480,623 times
I have State Farm and we heat with wood. Although it is a wood furnace inside a real fireplace. I bought with the furnace so the insurance company new about it.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:07 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,909,396 times
I went through that crap with a house i purchased about 1989. Didn't even have a wood stove. It did have the pipes going out from the garage where the previous owner had one. They insured me and then cancelled me and treated me like a liar when i tried to explain. I didn't want one and just hadn't had time to remove the pipes.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 PM

572 posts, read 449,384 times
Default EPA and carbon pollution

[quote=20yrsinBranson;36482510]It will never pass. You have too many people who have fireplaces in their houses. Too many "influential" people.

You might be able to ban it with city ordinances, but never in the country.
Its the EPA pushing this thinking. Carbon emission stuff. I think its ok in the country. I have seen towns with too many fireplaces going and smoke kind of hung over the town and wasnt good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area