U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 26,744 times
Default Need insurance on a house with a woodstove!

We had homeowners insurance until we put in a woodstove. The company is canceling us and we need to keep the house insured or we'll lose it according to our contract. Wouldn't want to be without it anyway, but we don't know what to do next. Our credit is not good. We know that can also be a problem. Anyone got an idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 PM

14,794 posts, read 17,229,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriOrBust! View Post
We had homeowners insurance until we put in a woodstove. The company is canceling us and we need to keep the house insured or we'll lose it according to our contract. Wouldn't want to be without it anyway, but we don't know what to do next. Our credit is not good. We know that can also be a problem. Anyone got an idea?
You don't say what insurance company you are with. I believe that Traveler's and American Family will insure you with a wood stove, but I might be mistaken. You just need to start calling around and find one that will. Even so, the rates are going to be quite a bit higher. We have not installed our wood stove yet for just this reason. It's even harder to find a company that will insure a mobile home with one.

Good luck

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,873,777 times
American Family droped us because of wood heat bunch of other stupid stuff.I'm thinking we went with Famers Insurance.

hillman

Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM

11,057 posts, read 923,568 times
You might try Laclede Mutual in Lebanon...you don't have to live in Laclede county to have insurance with them.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM

447 posts, read 574,005 times
Shelter insurance insures properties with wood stoves. American Family used to, I assume they still do.

Your bigger problem may indeed be your credit history. I know insurance companies have determined a corelation between credit problems and claims, and are simply declining to offer coverage in many cases. However, I think the poster above was right - get out the phone book and start calling everyone in the Yellow Pages.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 PM

14,794 posts, read 17,229,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
American Family droped us because of wood heat bunch of other stupid stuff.I'm thinking we went with Famers Insurance.

hillman
Underwriters have very strange formulas to determine the risk level of their customers/clients. Most likely, if you had "just" had a wood stove, you would probably have been ok. But your wood stove coupled with the other "stupid stuff" is probably what skewed the formula against you and caused your insurance to be canceled. Things like unfenced trampolines, or swimming pools, "dangerous" breeds of dogs (German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman), unlicensed vehicles parked in the yard, lack of fire hydrants in the subdivision, etc., etc., etc., can all count against you. There are a list of negative hazards a mile long.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,873,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Underwriters have very strange formulas to determine the risk level of their customers/clients. Most likely, if you had "just" had a wood stove, you would probably have been ok. But your wood stove coupled with the other "stupid stuff" is probably what skewed the formula against you and caused your insurance to be canceled. Things like unfenced trampolines, or swimming pools, "dangerous" breeds of dogs (German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman), unlicensed vehicles parked in the yard, lack of fire hydrants in the subdivision, etc., etc., etc., can all count against you. There are a list of negative hazards a mile long.

20yrsinBranson
Well the real story is the Guy came to the house.My wife told him she wouldn't let him in until I was home.

Well he seen a wood pile out in the field,so he took it as we heated with wood and he said there wasn't another house in sight of ours which was BS because there was two across the highway.

hillman

Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM

438 posts, read 628,356 times
Insurance companies are a lot more likely to insure if you have a wood stove if they can make sure that all safety considerations are in place. Your wood stove needs to sit on concrete or brick or other hard non-flammable surface, be backed with brick or stone, be vented properly, and be inspected to make sure everything is correct. The flue and chimney must be in order as well.

But a lot of the major companies are very picky about it; we heated with wood when we lived in the country.

I would suggest trying an independent insurance agent, one that can shop around and find a company willing to insure those with wood heat.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,691,126 times
Quote:
Like others here, I also have had wood heat, and only once had an issue - one house didn't have the stove on non-combustible material, and was too close to back wall; easy fix: place a metal tray underneath, and moved the stove ~6" further from wall, plus placing some stone behind it, which had the added benefit of retaining heat. BTW, that was w/ Shelter Insurance... which at least in the mid-MO area I recommend. Besides the dust, do miss wood burning stove in the house.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 26,744 times
Default Thanks, all!

Quote:
Thank you to all of you that responded to my plea. I believe we've found insurance with Foremost although it is expensive. Still cheaper than switching to heating with LPG or electric, though. Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area