Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 AM

23 posts, read 84,504 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to MO in a few months. My husband has a new job in Branson, so we need to stay in that area. We currently live in PA, so this will be a HUGE move for us. I know I should be scared, but instead I'm so excited. Missouri sounds SOOOO wonderful. We are really like Forsyth (from what we've found on the internet). Can anyone tell me anything about that area? Weather, people, way of life. etc? Anything would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 AM

14 posts, read 64,438 times
I think many people who work in Branson live in Forsythe. You have to go though 'Old' Downtown Branson to get there, which means pretty much by the new developlement 'event' called The Landing, to get to the strip. 76 zig-zags around Downtown, Taneycomo and up and around the hill to Forsythe. Not a bad drive but once The Landing is fully open it might be more time consuming. I'm not sure if there is another route as this is the one my friends take to their home and back. There surely is another route that would get you to Hwy 65, which runs N and S and is the main artery to N MO and to Arkansas.

Maybe someone else can give you advice on how the changes are affecting travel to work in Branson.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 PM

23 posts, read 84,504 times
Thank you, Gayle! Commuting is always a huge unknown when moving. It sounds like getting around in and around Branson is difficult during tourist season.
PA_Mom

Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
If I had a job in Branson, I would seriously consider building in Saddlebrook. It is a large wooded community with large lots right off of HWY 65. It is pricey for the area, but if you could swing it, it is beautiful, though somewhat remote.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,257 times
Wink Relocation from PA

Forsythe is a nice area. Definitely more of a "small" town feeling. If you have children, another area you might want to consider is Ozark, Missouri. It has a fantastic school district and is only a short distance to Branson. Usually only about a half hour commute or less on Hwy 65, which is a divided highway all the way. It is also only about 10 to 15 minutes to Springfield which has anything you would want in terms of shopping, entertainment, all the restaurants you could want, and home of MSU. Just a suggestion. And of course, Nixa, has all the same pros as Ozark. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 11,490 times
Smile Branson area is wonderful family environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Mom View Post
My family and I are moving to MO in a few months. My husband has a new job in Branson, so we need to stay in that area. We currently live in PA, so this will be a HUGE move for us. I know I should be scared, but instead I'm so excited. Missouri sounds SOOOO wonderful. We are really like Forsyth (from what we've found on the internet). Can anyone tell me anything about that area? Weather, people, way of life. etc? Anything would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
My husband, mother and I moved to the Branson area two years ago, from So. Cal. We had vacationed in the area before deciding to move here. What a wonderful place to live and raise children!!!

Depending on where is Branson your husband's job is/will be located, there are many wonderful places in the area. Foryth is nice, on Lk. Taneycomo. I live in Ridgedale, which is south of Branson. We live very near Tablerock Lake, and have a beautiful view of the lake. Ridgedale is only about 10-15 minutes to Branson, and you can side-skirt the traffic of Branson tourism. The Hollister area is also great, and you do not have to go through the dowtown Branson traffic, it is just south of Branson. Hollister has a very good school district, as well as affordable housing a close community. People are friendly, helpful and a VERY low crime rate. The greatest crime incidence is fishing without a license! Really!!

I hope this helps you.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,260 times
Default PA Mother

What do you want to know? My wife grew up in Forsyth (Not Forsythe) and and both of our parents still live there. Forsyth is home to the County Seat (Taney) and is located 9 miles east of Branson (two lane highway to either Branson direct or via Highway 65 which is four lane). You can e-mail us directly at jlong@firstnlr.com. We currently live in North Little Rock, AR but plan to move back to the area in a couple of years. Forsyth is also the home of Powersite Dam and is on Lake Taneycomo which flows from the bottom of Table Rock Dam so the water in Taneycomo is very cold and thus supports a large trout population. From Powersite Dam (White River) the body of water becomes Bull Shoals. The Dams were put in to guard against flooding so the levels of Taneycomo and Bull Shoals fluctuate depending on annual needs. Table Rock Lake stays pretty consistent.

If you are looking at the schools that will be a consideration for you depending on your preferences and needs.

The area is a great place to live and there are numerous communities in which to live. The infrastructure is not all that great outside the cities where you might have to dig your own well ($20K) and install a septic system. Some of the communities have significant POA dues to support street development so you just need to be aware when you purchase and make sure you have city or county maintenance.

Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail us. JL

Old 12-01-2006, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,257 times
Smile Powersite Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Mom View Post
When I was in Jr.Hi.school we would visit Forshty and fish.At that time Roy
Smith was the Superintendent of the Dam. On the city side he would take us under the dam to the other side where we would fish off the wall just below the dam. At that time the water was warm. Later after a dam was built upstream the water is cold and trout now live in the river. Living is Mo. will be a change for you ticks and chiggars are plentful but learn to deal with them. We now live in Hawaii. No ticks but mosquitoes. Adust.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 15,196 times
My uncle used to live in Forsyth, and I always loved it. It is fairly far away from Branson, and it very "small-townish".

Old 12-05-2006, 03:36 PM

65 posts, read 389,277 times
Default Forsyth Missouri

I have lived in Ozark Missouri for the past 11 years and this area for the past 20 years, for 2 of those years, I commuted to Forsyth, Missouri.

Forsyth definitely has a small town feel and charm, the town is situated on 2 lakes that come together at Powersite ****, there is a huge park and spots for camping and fishing along the lake front. It is approximately 10 to 15 minutes from Branson, Missouri, the roads to get to Forsyth can be curvy, especially hwy 160, driving it every day for 2 years you tend to occupy your time i remember once i think i turned my steering wheel to the right and left about 40 to 50 times mind you that was in a 12 miles stretch.

The country is beautiful, housing is getting better, since I am a loan officer, I noticed that the housing market was a bit different then other areas. There was not alot of homes that were median priced, folks owned land and built what they needed on that land and not alot of turn over, with the fact that Branson Landing has been built there is a true need for median price homes so that need is starting to be met with lots of building going on in the area.

School system seemed to be ok, I was watchful of this during my time down there I considered a move and decided against it for the reason of the availability of alot more activities in the other school systems closer to Springfield for my kids. However there are alot of retired folks in Forsyth and the schools are good, not saying they are bad, I just wanted to have more extra curricular activities available to my children.

Those are my thoughts on the town, the folks are friendly and I still have many friends who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area