U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,451,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I got a laugh at neighbor down the road.Told him I got married by a woman Pastor the first time.He says Well there is your problem the reason it didn't take.A woman has no business being over a Church

hillman
Wonder what he would say to men who are divorced, who were married by a male pastor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM

438 posts, read 912,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Interesting professions. What kind of freelance writing do you do? Do you think that careers like teaching, nursing, etc. have more upward movement for women, than say construction, or more blue collar, or jobs that were typically done by men in the past?

I do about every kind of freelance writing there is. I write for the local paper, I write for several online sites (a few are content sites but not most), I occasionally write advertising (which I did in broadcasting long ago), and I write for "real" magazines, the ones at the store and newstands. Fiction is my first love and I sell a few stories but I write the other to pay the bills.

Teaching - at least at the levels - junior high and up - has about as many men these days as women. So does nursing, at least at the hospitals where I've visited loved ones or friends. Both careers were traditionally more open to women but these days, I would say it's about the same. There are more women principals, however, in our small town with five grade schools only one has a male principal.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
I do about every kind of freelance writing there is. I write for the local paper, I write for several online sites (a few are content sites but not most), I occasionally write advertising (which I did in broadcasting long ago), and I write for "real" magazines, the ones at the store and newstands. Fiction is my first love and I sell a few stories but I write the other to pay the bills.

Teaching - at least at the levels - junior high and up - has about as many men these days as women. So does nursing, at least at the hospitals where I've visited loved ones or friends. Both careers were traditionally more open to women but these days, I would say it's about the same. There are more women principals, however, in our small town with five grade schools only one has a male principal.
Thanks for your perspective. This gives me hope that women are being treated with equal opportunity in MO. I would love to read any of the articles you have written for the "real" magazines, if you would like to mention which magazines? You mentioned that your first love is fiction...any novels in the pipes? We have more than a few creatively talented Missouri woman here on CD!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your perspective. This gives me hope that women are being treated with equal opportunity in MO. I would love to read any of the articles you have written for the "real" magazines, if you would like to mention which magazines? You mentioned that your first love is fiction...any novels in the pipes? We have more than a few creatively talented Missouri woman here on CD!

I have two novels being shopped around; no takers (yet!)

Some of the mags include The Rambler, Catholic Digest, Country Woman, The Ozarks Mountaineer, FATE, Capper's, The Dollar Stretcher, .....I'll have to dig out my resume for a fuller list, that's off the top of my head.

I do have some short fiction in anthologies, several from the Ozark Writers League that are available on Amazon. Here's a link to one of those:

Amazon.com: Echoes of the Ozarks Volume III (9780937660379): Louella Turner, Donna Volkenannt, Delois McGrew: Books

New one "Voices" is coming out in November too.

My fiction was in Country Woman September 2008 too.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,685,471 times
Wink The "weaker" sex...?

Quote:
Hi, this thread is for and about the women in Missouri, whether natives or transplants. How do you feel you are treated regarding equality in the workplace, social settings, religious settings, family dynamics, etc.? What is your opinion or perspective on any women's issues you would care to discuss? This thread could include any and all issues relating to woman,...i.e., healthcare, child raising, working, shopping, politics, hobbies. I would like to learn more about the daily lives and opinions of women in Missouri. No topic is off limits.
Interesting subject for discussion. Having moved to small town SW MO from large city CA...I did notice some differences in the women native to "here". We were even told by the first people we met that they could tell we weren't from here having to do with our confidence level, our assertiveness...things like that. Some of the women I met early on did seem a little more timid and even letting their husbands walk on them. I have NOT seen those differences in the Branson/Table Rock Lake area, probably because this is such a melting pot of people from all over the US.

As far as whether I feel I've been treated differently, I'd say no...or I'm oblivious.
Which could be the case, of course.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM

I first moved to the Ozarks at age ten from a city; I've been in and out ever since but natives still tell me they know I'm not from around here. Whether it is attitude, manner, or what but it's there.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
I have two novels being shopped around; no takers (yet!)

Some of the mags include The Rambler, Catholic Digest, Country Woman, The Ozarks Mountaineer, FATE, Capper's, The Dollar Stretcher, .....I'll have to dig out my resume for a fuller list, that's off the top of my head.

I do have some short fiction in anthologies, several from the Ozark Writers League that are available on Amazon. Here's a link to one of those:

Amazon.com: Echoes of the Ozarks Volume III (9780937660379): Louella Turner, Donna Volkenannt, Delois McGrew: Books

New one "Voices" is coming out in November too.

My fiction was in Country Woman September 2008 too.
My goodness, is that all, lol? I'm going to have to look into getting a copy of some of your work, maybe from the Amazon site (they only have one copy left). Just trying to figure out which writer you are from the link posted above. Short stories are one of my favorite things to read. That is an impressive list of publications that you have written for. Can you us all a little more about the Ozark Writers League?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Interesting subject for discussion. Having moved to small town SW MO from large city CA...I did notice some differences in the women native to "here". We were even told by the first people we met that they could tell we weren't from here having to do with our confidence level, our assertiveness...things like that. Some of the women I met early on did seem a little more timid and even letting their husbands walk on them. I have NOT seen those differences in the Branson/Table Rock Lake area, probably because this is such a melting pot of people from all over the US.

As far as whether I feel I've been treated differently, I'd say no...or I'm oblivious.
Which could be the case, of course.
LJ, are you the broker of your real estate agency? I think you mentioned starting your own business when you moved to the Lake area. That's an interesting observation about feeling that the women you first met were differing to their husbands opinions, but in the Branson area you don't notice it. Maybe the less outside influences a place has, the more "old ways" exist as Molly313 said. It has always astounded me that any man who has a wife or daughter would want any less opportunities for success in life for them, than they would want for their sons or other male family members.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I have NOT seen those differences in the Branson/Table Rock Lake area, probably because this is such a melting pot of people from all over the US.
Coming from the west coast, that was one of the draws for us. It certainly wasn't an issue of replicating what we had back there or we wouldn't have left in the first place. However, the fact that it was somewhat more cosmopolitan than some other areas would, we felt, make for a smoother transition. There is, after all, some comfort to be had from some similar if not familiar.

So far, so good!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Coming from the west coast, that was one of the draws for us. It certainly wasn't an issue of replicating what we had back there or we wouldn't have left in the first place. However, the fact that it was somewhat more cosmopolitan than some other areas would, we felt, make for a smoother transition. There is, after all, some comfort to be had from some similar if not familiar.

So far, so good!
Glad you're having a smooth transition from California to Blue Eye, Curmudgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area