Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:30 AM

27 posts, read 58,338 times

Advertisements

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Spiders and snakes and hillbillies that shoot their pets. Women who are treated as nothing due to the "good ol boy" network. "Californians please don't come here" sorta thing.

I'm having second thoughts, even though my dad, grandparents and great grandparents came from Mo and Ar both..I am pure Californian through and through although my roots are from your neck of the woods.

Someone tell me something good, cuz what I've been reading is giving me doubts on whether this is a wise decision to move to a state I've never set foot in myself at my age (57).

Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaze View Post
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Spiders and snakes and hillbillies that shoot their pets. Women who are treated as nothing due to the "good ol boy" network. "Californians please don't come here" sorta thing.

I'm having second thoughts, even though my dad, grandparents and great grandparents came from Mo and Ar both..I am pure Californian through and through although my roots are from your neck of the woods.

Someone tell me something good, cuz what I've been reading is giving me doubts on whether this is a wise decision to move to a state I've never set foot in myself at my age (57).
My wife and I, both native Californians, just moved here and bought a house. Our timing was perfect with the ushering in of what promises to be a beautiful Fall. Sure there are drawbacks but for us, the benefits far outweigh them. Besides, moving to another state so totally different is a grand adventure and in our 60s, the challenge just couldn't go unmet!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
Do you want scaring or sugar coating?

There are indeed spiders, snakes, and hillbillies who shoot their pets (and other things). There are tornadoes and there are devasting ice storms. There are meth labs and murders and robberies and home invasions and other crimes.

That is part of the reality living in the Ozarks.

But there are also beautiful scenery, four distinct seasons (most years anyway), a lot of friendl people, lower cost of living, many transplants who bring their more modern ways with them when they move, major cities with many ammenties, small town perks like high school football and festivals (celebrating everything from apple butter to fall), and a lot of good things.

To tell you the good without some of the less pleasant realities would be wrong - or it would in my book.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I wouldn't recommend that a person move anywhere he has never visited.
Having said that, this forum does have more than its share of Debbie Downers who blatantly stereotype Missouri. Missouri has no more negative aspects than any other place in the world. However, I think most Missourians take great offense when people visit and criticize (who doesn't?) and that may be why some locals try to dissuade people from moving here unless they are really sure the person truly likes it here.
I moved here two years ago and I really like it. Good things: beautiful scenery, practically no traffic (from an east coaster's point of view), friendly people, somewhat slower pace of life. Good country living, but St. Louis, Kansas City, and even the larger towns like Joplin and Springfield offer just about anything I would want out of a city. I gave up bagels and pizza for biscuits and gravy, cornbread, and barbeque...not a bad trade-off.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
No need to give up bagels and pizza if you move to Missouri; we have both even in the small town in southwest MO where I now live. And if you don't like "chain" pizza, you can always make your own - I do!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
bhaze - take all that you read with grain of salt [except this post! ]... but with the realization that there is indeed 'some' truth behind that grain; everyone has different perceptions and expectations - we all feed off of those to gauge what it is that we experience and see,,, and desire.

Honestly, no place in the world is perfect - but there are some that are more perfect for some. Example, some just love the sun and beaches and whatnot of Florida,,, yet, have to battle the high costs, the hurricanes, humidity, rainshowers, snow birds, tourists, etc - and balance what is more important, what can be if not ignored, put on back burner.

If can, you might also want to peruse through the following threads... they might provide you some balance [while of course realizing that yes, Missouri has snakes, chiggers, grumpy ol' peoples, poison ivy/oak, floods, humidity, etc. ]

What I Love About Missouri...
What is it about Missouri?
Missouri Testimonial

Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,208 times
But then truly you have nothing to fear with me around

Here is a pic little better not so scary

hillman

Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 58,338 times
I am contacting a travel agent today to make plans to come out there for a few days.
I am aware of tornados...just like I am aware of earthquakes. I'll deal with it. Critters and wild life, I already deal with here. Skunks, deer, raccoons, spiders, sometimes a cougar or two depending on where they were last seen (extremely rare), etc etc etc. Animals and critters, I can deal with. Bigots, racists, animal abusers and hillbillies that expect me to walk 3 paces behind the man...thats another whole kettle of "AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN". At least in front of me.
My dad was from a little town called Strawberry Ark. He raised me to be a decent woman, because he was a decent man. He also raised me to not see color of skin, hurt God's creature because I have the title of "human" and am therefore some kind of powerful being that masters them all, or extend disrespect to people due to the their race, religion or sexual preference (gays).
I have not only read this forum and website..I have googled many, looking at other folks words about where they live and the pros and cons. I chose to post in this one because although many of you do not know me..I do know you just from being a lurker for over a year.

This move is pending and will happen soon. And I am getting cold feet now. My pets are like my kids, because I have no children. As with anyone who wants to protect their family (with human children), I want to make sure they are safe wherever I move them to. Branson/Blue Eye area is my direction. Not only am I californian..I am also stubborn as a missouri mule (from my mothers side, who came from Edina area).
The threads I've been reading are mostly Debbie Downers. So yeah..I want some sugar coating as well.

Shadowcaver..thank you for the links. I will check them out.

Hillman, people themselves don't scare me. But I might scare them. lol

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-05-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 12:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Just why is it that you think your pets will not be safe?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Just why is it that you think your pets will not be safe?
i would like to move to branson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area