Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

!!! So I'm at an auction this morning, and glimpse an odd-looking bug creeping around in a little rock garden. My friend checks it out - it was a scorpion!!! No one else seemed alarmed, they said even if you did get stung, it wouldn't be any worse than a bee sting. Is that true? I had no idea there were scorpions in Missouri!!! Very alarmed!!! Someone educate me on these critters!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 02:56 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,986 times
Scorpions are here, at least in the Ozarks. I'm not sure about statewide; I personally never saw one until I moved southward.

I have never been stung but my MIL has, long ago.

Just one more of the local critters!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:04 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
!!! So I'm at an auction this morning, and glimpse an odd-looking bug creeping around in a little rock garden. My friend checks it out - it was a scorpion!!! No one else seemed alarmed, they said even if you did get stung, it wouldn't be any worse than a bee sting. Is that true? I had no idea there were scorpions in Missouri!!! Very alarmed!!! Someone educate me on these critters!!!
lol, yes... there are scorp's in Missouri [mainly Ozarks] - right next to the spiders, tics, and chiggers,,, with the snakes not to far from 'em.

http://extension.missouri.edu/public...b.aspx?P=g7364
Quote:
... All scorpions have poison glands located in the bulbous last segment of the abdomen, which ends in the stinger. Scorpions rarely sting humans except when pinned against the skin. The sting of the striped scorpion usually results in a localized painful swelling and discoloration at the sting site. The effect lasts only for a few hours and has been described as being similar to a bee or wasp sting. There are other species of scorpions found only in southern Arizona and Mexico that have been responsible for human deaths.
The Striped Scorpion (http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/scorpion/ - broken link)
Quote:
... Scorpions are sometimes found in buildings and shelters, as well as under piles of wood, brush, or garbage. This is particularly true in the Ozarks and other areas that have a lot of glades. Scorpions seek these places out, especially if there are few humans around, because here they find ideal shelter and plentiful food supplies. ...

Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
Cute pets!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:16 PM

23 posts, read 87,245 times
Yes there definately are. Not only scorpians, but even worse, tarantulas. I had family that lived in the truman lake area and it wasn't uncommon to find either one. Ick.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Yelp my wife about stepped on this one in the Shower at Truman Lake

hillman

Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Yeah Scorps are here in California too. I've had them up close and personal but they never caused a problem. Just be a little more cautious in areas they might be and you should be fine.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
*phew* I'd only ever heard of the deadly poisonous ones in the desert. Glad to know they are no more harmful than bees and whatnot.
We have ducks, chickens, turkeys, geese that roam freely around the house...that might be a factor in why I haven't seen any at home.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 14,282 times
I was stung last night for the first time since moving to AZ in 1994. We've had some spottings in the house & have always prided ourselves on having a "sixth sense" about them. We've come close to stepping on them or brushing against them, but never been stung....until now. We tend to see the odd one after an aggressive housecleaning. Probably disturb them while moving things, vacuuming & whatnot? Well, I walked into the kitchen to put the dishes in the sink after dinner, and bam, a sharp stab on the toe next to the baby toe. Look down and rotten critter is running away from me! I felt a hot burning sensation which last about 4 hours, it was sort of like a constant cigarette burn. It never swelled, there was nor is any discoloration that I can see (I can't even see the sting mark) and this morning my toe was a bit numb when I woke up. It was actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I have a high tolerance, maybe he didn't catch me completely or maybe I am just lucky. Anyway, not a pleasant experience, but not as traumatic as I expected it would be. No more bare feet....no matter how hot it is!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 PM

429 posts, read 684,871 times
used to have them in the house didnt see any more after the exterminators started to come on a regular basis....never was stung
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area