Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

1st off - long time lurker of this forum - thanks for all the insights and information posted. It's been very useful for getting a small sense of what a place may be like.

I'm considering moving with my wife to the Springfield, MO area. We've also looked at houses in KY but for various reasons we're now considering MO. We looked at a few houses yesterday along with getting a feel for a few of the towns around Springfield. So, some random questions that I have after our visit:

Broadband Internet is a necessity for work. Can someone point me to information or a map about the Springfield-area's broadband? What is the deal with the fiber cable signs I was seeing - does that mean if it was near a location I was looking at FOIS as a possibility? I know there is a statewide MO push to build broadband infrastructure but it's hard to tell whats going on from reading the offical state website or other sites.

Historical Buildings: what exactly does this mean? Does every change I'd want to make then have to go through some bureaucracy? I've located some info on the web but not a practical, easy-to-understand offering.

Beer: Is there an area store with a well-regarded selection of Microbrews?

Gravel roads: is there a way to tell if the state grades a road or if it's the locals? I was surprised to see so many (otherwise decently smooth) roads washed out on our visit yesterday - but a lot of them were cement in the section that was getting covered - very cool!

Rear license plates: ok one this is kinda random, but we noticed a lot of 1/2 pickup trucks with no rear license plates. Coincidence or what?

Last (siily) question: what's the coolest thing someone has done with an old cement corn silo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
Well the broadband thing as I understand it is still up in the air. The microbrews I can definitely answer. Springfield Brewing Company actually makes their own It is a brewery and they have some of the best microbrews I have ever had. And I have had them from Boston to Simi Valley Ca. I do not know about Greene county ordinances, I know Stone county rural is very lenient. You can pretty much do whatever you want. The roads I think will have a sign that says end of County/State/City Maintenance signs. At least down here near Reeds Spring they do. No idea on the rear plate thing lol. And I have no idea to be honest as far as Missouri goes. In Illinois where I am from, they have a place that took 2 of them and turned them into a bar/restaurant.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phozd View Post
1st off - long time lurker of this forum - thanks for all the insights and information posted. It's been very useful for getting a small sense of what a place may be like.

I'm considering moving with my wife to the Springfield, MO area. We've also looked at houses in KY but for various reasons we're now considering MO. We looked at a few houses yesterday along with getting a feel for a few of the towns around Springfield. So, some random questions that I have after our visit:

Broadband Internet is a necessity for work. Can someone point me to information or a map about the Springfield-area's broadband? What is the deal with the fiber cable signs I was seeing - does that mean if it was near a location I was looking at FOIS as a possibility? I know there is a statewide MO push to build broadband infrastructure but it's hard to tell whats going on from reading the offical state website or other sites.

Historical Buildings: what exactly does this mean? Does every change I'd want to make then have to go through some bureaucracy? I've located some info on the web but not a practical, easy-to-understand offering.

Gravel roads: is there a way to tell if the state grades a road or if it's the locals? I was surprised to see so many (otherwise decently smooth) roads washed out on our visit yesterday - but a lot of them were cement in the section that was getting covered - very cool!

Rear license plates: ok one this is kinda random, but we noticed a lot of 1/2 pickup trucks with no rear license plates. Coincidence or what?

Last (siily) question: what's the coolest thing someone has done with an old cement corn silo?
I am thinking that perhaps the license plates get in the way when the pickup trucks are hauling trailers or some other kind of equipment. They probably take them off for that reason and stick them in the back window (or bed of the truck) and they do not get put back on right away. If a cop pulls them over, they can just reach inside the bed (or back window) and produce the plate.

As for the aforementioned gravel roads. If you have any question contact the closest MODOT (Missouri Department of Transportation), office and ask them if they provide maintenance to a particular road. You might also ask what the priority level is on the road so you will know how long after a torrential rain storm or ice storm or snow storm, it will take for them to get there.

Being a Budweiser drinker myself, I cannot comment on the microbrew situation. My husband drinks that kind of stuff, but I don't.

There are a few historical neighborhoods in Springfield which may required some kind of approval for remodels, you can talk to the city, or check out the Greene County Historical Society who will probably know more about it. There are lots of OLD buildings downtown and on the North side which are just old and I don't think they care what you do with them. I'm sure you are aware that some neighborhoods are better than others so I would certainly investigate very thoroughly any location north of Chestnut Expressway that you might be interested in. Since you did not mention prodegeny I will assume you have none (lucky you), but if indeed you do, school districts are a huge concern in Springfield.

Finally, I believe that broadband is available almost everywhere in Springfield. In the outlying areas not so much. Where I live my only option is satellite for true broadband. A quick way that I tell is to look at the wires on the telephone poles. If there is a very, very thick cable on the very bottom (at least four inches thick), I was told by someone that it is a fiber optic bundle. If there is no thick cable, chances are there is no DSL available. Where I live the thick cable stops about three miles away. Yes, there is a lot of talk about bringing broadband to rural Missouri, but until I see it, I won't particularly believe it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
dnw

11 posts, read 40,241 times
Quote:
Are there that many gravel roads near springfield? I know Greene county doesnt have any.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I was told that vehicles that can pull heavier loads don't need a rear plate (it's optional) because it's assumed they'll be towing/pulling most of the time and the rear plate would be blocked from sight.
Internet may vary on precisely where you live. At school in Springfield they have wireless and it's very fast. I live in the country (on a gravel road) about an hour or so out of Springfield and I'm stuck with dial-up. Folks who live less than 10 minutes from me can get cable internet.
I think it's cool when an old silo has a tree growing out of it.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
Are there that many gravel roads near springfield? I know Greene county doesnt have any.
You're saying that there are no gravel roads in all of Greene County?? I would say that you are mistaken.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am thinking that perhaps the license plates get in the way when the pickup trucks are hauling trailers or some other kind of equipment. They probably take them off for that reason and stick them in the back window (or bed of the truck) and they do not get put back on right away. If a cop pulls them over, they can just reach inside the bed (or back window) and produce the plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I was told that vehicles that can pull heavier loads don't need a rear plate (it's optional) because it's assumed they'll be towing/pulling most of the time and the rear plate would be blocked from sight.
Vehicles that are registered with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 24,000 lbs are only issued a front plate. There is no rear plate to put in a window or pull on and off the vehicle.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 PM

46 posts, read 236,578 times
Quote:

no fios as MO is not a verizon state. century-tel, the local telco which merged with EMbarq which will be called Century link now is building out a fiber network in the area and you can get 15Mb fiber in some of the areas down there. of course there is at&t cable internet if you can get it.. i say where ever you're looking ask some of the neighbors in the area, everyone is real friendly so you shouldnt have any trouble getting information. you might even get a cup of coffee or glass of tea or lemonade. been known to happen

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
Just a little FYI when I lived out in the country I could not get A T & T internet at all.

But there is a lot of variance so it's possible. They always told me they were bringing it closer to me but it never happened until I moved to town.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
You're saying that there are no gravel roads in all of Greene County?? I would say that you are mistaken.
Ok I looked at my Map and I can't find any.

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area