U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

We are considering a big move to the Springfield,Mo area and would like some outdoor information.

Is there any good car camping spots close? What about backpacking...multi night areas?

And what about small streams in town or small lakes that are canoe-able and provide a good float and potentially some good fishing as well?
We know that the Mark Twain area provides a lot of these opportunities,but we are just wondering if there is anything closer to Springfield.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM

309 posts, read 1,092,670 times
Greetings,
Look around Cassville and Branson Area, they are close to Springfield and see what you can find.
Be blessed

Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
A lot of people float and fish the James and Finley rivers around Springfield. You can also go out on Springfield Lake, Stockton Lake and Lake Pomme De Terre.

Busiek State Park offers trails for hiking trails and primitive camping via permits. Here's a link for you: Area Summary

Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,694,899 times
We're 50 miles North East of Springfield all kinds of good stuff.

Bennett Spring State Park - Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites, MoDNR (http://www.mostateparks.com/Bennett.htm - broken link)

Missouri's Niangua River

Ft. Niangua River Resort: Missouri Cabins, Canoes, Rafts, Kayaks, Tubes and Camping

Area Summary

hillman

Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Wink Go south...

Just about 40 miles south of Springfield is Table Rock Lake. There are multiple Corp of Engineers campgrounds that are terrific for car/tent camping.
Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

Great float trips on the James River.
James River Outfitters, LLC - Galena & Stone County, Missouri
...and the North Fork.
Pettit's Canoe Rental & Campground (http://pettitscanoerental.com/floating.htm - broken link)

It's been too many years since my backpacking days...sorry!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,744 times
There you all go, giving away my favorite floating spot AND outfitter! The James River will be ruined if we can't keep this secret!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 AM

31 posts, read 88,752 times
I'm going to bump this up. Arizona has many National Forests to camp in. I usually scout out for campsites that meet the needs of my fiance and myself: She needs an outhouse, and I need a free campsite. It's easy to find them here by just going on the Forest Service website, however since Missouri doesn't have too many national forests it's harder to find these types of campsites, especially near Springfield. I'm not necessarily asking for you to do the work for me, but does anyone at least have a website I could browse to find these types of campsites(if they exist in Missouri)?

Oh! and can someone explain what a primitive campsite is? I don't know if that includes having a crapper available or if it means the campsite is just a clearing in the forest and that's it. Thanks.

Last edited by Muscled1; 10-19-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,744 times
Here's info about the Mark Twain National Forest. There are 9 of them across the state, mostly in the south and eastern parts.
Mark Twain National Forest - Home Page - US Forest Service

Missouri also has 40 State parks and historic camping sites. Primitive camping usually implies no electricity or water is available, but sometimes bathroom facilities are within walking distance of the camp sites. They do charge a small fee.
Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites

Old 10-19-2009, 03:01 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,653 times
Given your distance from here, you might want to purchase a couple of the books here: Guidebooks&Maps .

The information you seek has always appeared to me to be deliberately obscured. I know of no one-stop location. There are many, many campsites in Mo. operated by various Federal and State agencies, and you have to check all their websites carefully and thoroughly. The (Army) Corp of Engineers has campsites, trails, etc., located on and near lakes and rivers. I believe all area Forest Service land is contained in the Mark Twain National Forest system. The Missouri State Park system has some really nice parks, including two trout hatchery parks within an hour to hour-and-a-half of Springfield. Then there is the Missouri Conservation Dept. - a law unto itself with their own dedicated 1/8th cent sales tax.

Remember, Arkansas is only 90 minutes south of Springfield. The Buffalo River is perhaps America's best kept scenic secret, so don't tell anyone. Ark. state parks also have many campsites, trails, etc., and some are an easy drive from Springfield.

Now for the bad news: Camping/hiking can be miserable here May through Sept. Bugs flying, stinging, and crawling; foliage so thick you can't see 50 feet; humidity that seeks to outpace the temperature; and just when things can't get any worse a thunderstorm crops up complete with high winds, lighning, hail, and flash floods.

The good news is that October through April can, if one watches the weather, be incredible. The views of the bluffs and valleys once the leaves are off are as fine as anywhere, unexpected caves appear here, there, everywhere, as do waterfalls, and wildlife can be seen. Hiking when the skies are blue and the air is a nice crisp 30 deg. is as good as it gets. Severe weather almost never arrives unannounced, and the campgrounds tend not to be crowded - or even visited in many cases.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:10 PM

31 posts, read 88,752 times
Great info from both of you! Thanks alot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Now for the bad news: Camping/hiking can be miserable here May through Sept. Bugs flying, stinging, and crawling; foliage so thick you can't see 50 feet; humidity that seeks to outpace the temperature; and just when things can't get any worse a thunderstorm crops up complete with high winds, lighning, hail, and flash floods.
I'll have to share this because I really liked it. A patient was telling me about her pastors sermon about the key to a happy marriage. He went on and on the whole sermon about it and concluded with the key to a happy marriage...paused to give suspense in the congregation... then said, "Go camping". He let everyone laugh and then explained that going camping is a scheduled disaster that the two of you must work out together. Made sense to me and I could definately relate, we love camping but there hasn't been a trip where something unplanned happened that could have become a disaster if we had let it. Just had to share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area