U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is live in Springfield MO for raising a child.
Relocating to MO 8 66.67%
Springfield MO 5 41.67%
Health care in MO 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,354,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldMoistheworst View Post
..Springfield is seriously the worst city I've ever been to. .
Wow, I'd suggest you google these two words: Oakland and Riots
or these : Richmond, Ca. and Murder or try this Stockton and crime
or this one Los Angeles and traffic or these three: Illegal Immigration and CAlifornia......Come out west young man, there's plenty of room for you and we'll gladly welcome you if your Spanish speaking, otherwise be preparred to push 2 for english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Come out west young man, there's plenty of room for you and we'll gladly welcome you if your Spanish speaking, otherwise be preparred to push 2 for english
Many transplanted Ozarkers speak Spanish, and their numbers and proportion of the population are growing, so we'll be pushing 2 for English in a few years, probably within my lifetime.

It's part of multi-culturalism and diversity that everyone believes is important. Here's a story from the Springfield paper about the Latino population in North Springfield. Is this why people on this forum always advise wannabe Springfield transplants to avoid North Springfield?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,905,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Many transplanted Ozarkers speak Spanish, and their numbers and proportion of the population are growing, so we'll be pushing 2 for English in a few years, probably within my lifetime.

It's part of multi-culturalism and diversity that everyone believes is important. Here's a story from the Springfield paper about the Latino population in North Springfield. Is this why people on this forum always advise wannabe Springfield transplants to avoid North Springfield?
I was just thinking North and West but most defintly North.

brushrunner

Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 AM

158 posts, read 312,880 times
Maybe the folks at that web site doing the ratings based their perception of Springfield on what they saw on The Simpsons. That show really is about life in Springfield, MO isn't it?

:-)

Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,956 times
You should be OK in Springfield. There are lots of jobs for RN's. There are PLENTY of "Christian" churches as well. The primary problem with raising kids here is socio=economic. Wages overall are very low here. This presents many problems for service workers and their families. Quality childcare is out of reach for most workers. There is also a fairly significant us vs. them mentality between the "saved" and everyone else. LOTS of pressure to measure up against some pretty lofty ideals. Lots of kids see through the hypocrisy and lash out in non=productive ways. Domestic abuse is a significant problem fueled in large part by patriarchal authority. Then again, the area is super cheap. There are houses for sale/rent all over town. The neighnorhoods tend to be fairly transient. Sidewalks are few and far between throughout large swaths of the area. Groups are working to encourage more bike paths, walking, etc but alternative modes of transportation are difficult. Many of the churches have outstanding facilities for the kids and the park system is not too bad if you live close to one. Come on up if you think you can maintain close control of the kids, Otherwise, I'd look for a more liveable city with less poverty, pollution (two coal burning power plants)and congestion. The schools are mediocre at best, but it's CHEAP here!.... what do you expect?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:13 AM

158 posts, read 312,880 times
Default Fart cars - thank you for the chuckle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Hell, man, that was going on in Springfield in the 60's!! Plenty of gorgeous muscle cars around town in those days, the cruising was awesome!! Pick up drag racing at stop lights all up and down Kearney and Glenstone, YEAH!! Give me those days again, please!! I love the rumble of a massive V-8, but it is really, ridiculously funny to see and hear the 4-cyl "rice burners" with glass packs around town now; they sound like "fart cars" to me!!
Guess I am a throwback too - I grew up with muscle cars and while I love that sound I also have a great deal of respect for the rights of others and would not drive around town with a "thumping" stereo or a ground-pounding exhaust. Especially not late at night.

And yes, most of the rice-burners are hilarious, although any 4 cylinder that produces 600 hp is pretty impressive.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 AM

32 posts, read 47,751 times
Wow! Lots of divergent opinions around here. I lived in Springfield and Branson for quite some time. The biggest problem has been and always will be that its tough to nearly impossible to make a decent living. I remember reading on another thread where some job in the plastics industry was paying $45,000. I can tell you form experince that you will probably have as good a chance at that job as you would becoming an astronaut on the next space mission. Protectionism is the name of the game in the work force in SW Missouri. That job and any like it will almost always be filled by an inside referral. Nepotism is the name of the game when you get to that level of earnings here anyway.
My advice to anyone who wants to live here is simply to move away somehwere where you can get a good job, then move back after you've got about 10 years experience behind you. Most middle level management jobs are filled from outside. If you work here and hope to move up the ladder you are likely kididng yourself. Most of the employers don't look favorably on long term local employees and as stated earlier will almost always pass them up for outside talent. Kind of a plantation mentality I guess. Of course there will be the usual throng of people giving me a 101 examples of how I'm wrong but I lived there for many years and heard every story you could possibly imagine and they all had similar rings to them. SW Mo is a great place to retire. Its never been a great launching pad for careers.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM

62 posts, read 107,596 times
I would not want to live in Springfield, however I like to shop there once or twice a month.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 25,185 times
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]!
Quote:
If you read this and think I am wrong, please do me a favor and move to Springfield..that way once I move out we can try to centralize the majority of the trash in this one area and keep them out of the nice places to live.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I intend to![/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Quote:
also I believe it is something like 50% of residents carry guns in their cars and 1/4 carries on their person...
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Yes, and the very low crime rates are reflected in the people expressing the Second Amendment Rights by carrying concealed weapons. Check the crime stats and you will see your full of beans and not bullets. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Quote:
I did get to live in London for 5 months for school at one point, and I have done a lot of travelling outside of that and I have to say..Springfield would be the last place I would choose to live.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Twenty four of age and has traveled extensively, what bunk, he's probably still a virgin.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Quote:
Not only are there almost no right turn lanes, but people seem to have no idea that the left lane IS A PASSING LANE. Get used to sitting behind two cars of old people competing to see who can drive the slowest side by side and preventing you from passing or ever even getting up to the speed limit.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Looks like he believes there is not enough room on the road for everyone other than himself. Perhaps he should go back to London where the crime rates are up to 5 times higher.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Quote:
that way once I move out we can try to centralize the majority of the trash in this one area and keep them out of the nice places to live.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Don't let the door hit you in the...you know. I wonder if he realizes the liberals in government are going to experience another cleaning out just like the last one in 1994, shame it's not a presidential election year![/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]He is soon to be a collage grad and he misspelled "SERIOSULY" I'm serious! Poor student?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldMoistheworst View Post
Just for anyone who might care..Springfield is seriously the worst city I've ever been to. I've been stuck here all 24 years of my life and I can't wait to graduate college this winter and MOVE THE HELL OUT FAST! I laughed out loud at the 10th worst place to raise children....I would rank it 1 personally. Seriously, there is nothing in Springfield but a bunch of stuck up religious nutcases telling each other what they can and cannot do. Insane amounts of meth addicts, drunks, and gun nuts...almost zero privacy and absurd religious non-sense at every turn...we constantly elect conservative religious people to offices that they are unqualified for, there is almost nothing to do here (entertainment wise..either start drinking/using drugs or prepare to see a lot of movies). I did get to live in London for 5 months for school at one point, and I have done a lot of travelling outside of that and I have to say..Springfield would be the last place I would choose to live. Lots of fat people that think they are better than you. Lots of lazy, overbearing, and obnoxious people who think they know better than you about everything..lots of trashy nascar people, etc... also I believe it is something like 50% of residents carry guns in their cars and 1/4 carries on their person...I could go on for a year seriosuly though, Springfield is terrible. If you read this and think I am wrong, please do me a favor and move to Springfield..that way once I move out we can try to centralize the majority of the trash in this one area and keep them out of the nice places to live. Oh and the way people drive here is bound to make you insane. Not only are there almost no right turn lanes, but people seem to have no idea that the left lane IS A PASSING LANE. Get used to sitting behind two cars of old people competing to see who can drive the slowest side by side and preventing you from passing or ever even getting up to the speed limit. Also if you do actually drive the speed limit you can expect a lot of trashy methhead people to scream at you like you are doing something wrong..just flip them off and haul ass before you get shot.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,024 times
Default Pretty acceptable

I want to start out by saying that I am NOT a mother (in fact I am a 24 year old graduate student); however, I believe through observation that Springfield would be a nice place to raise a family. The cost of living is very low here and there are many health care options for a nurse to start a career. There are three main hospitals, several specialty clinics including some sliding-fee clinics for those without insurance, student health centers, and even a jail and a federal medical center for the Bureau of Prisons.

One person wrote that it is hard to find an entry level job here, but I have had two friends graduate with their BSN a year ago and they both had jobs before graduation. I would also assume that you have some experience anyways.

This town is rather conservative, although I am very liberal and am not often too offended (I do tend to keep close to campus). There are many churches here including the world headquarters for the Assemblies of God church and two different christian universities. I've heard Springfield and the surrounding Ozarks area referred to as "the buckle of the Bible Belt."

One thing that you may find annoying is that Springfield is pretty close to being a university town with several universities in the area (with Missouri State being the largest with somewhere around 18,000 students). Since you are also looking at Columbia (which IS a college town) I'm hoping that you don't consider this a huge drawback. There are actually many perks including opportunities to attend sporting events, plays, musical recitals, dances, art exhibits, etc. put on by students, but the universities also bring in bigger-named outside entertainment such as concerts and comedians that is open to the public. As your daughter is going through the school system, she will also probably interact with one or more education majors through practicum students, student teachers, and practicum school counselors and benefit from free extra help, enthusiasm, and possibly even new teaching methods. You may also benefit as there would be plenty of options in getting an advanced degree either through an RN to BSN program or applying to a master's program in nursing. I might recommend not living in a heavy student neighborhood though since there will be parties and late-night noise.

As far as entertainment, there is plenty to do with a small child. Springfield has several parks, a small zoo, multiple movie theaters (including a "dollar show"), the Discovery Center (which is a science based learning/fun place), the Y, the Bass Pro Shop, a minor-league baseball team (Springfield Cardinals), nearby Branson with shows and Silver Dollar City, nearby camping, and lakes, and a nearby drive through zoo where you can feed animals from your car. There is also plenty of shopping (with a mall) and an unnecessary amount of restaurants. I can more or less get anything I need from Springfield.

I hope this helps with providing you some additional and relatively positive information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area