U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is live in Springfield MO for raising a child.
Relocating to MO 8 66.67%
Springfield MO 5 41.67%
Health care in MO 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 51,280 times

Advertisements

OK just joined bacause I found a lot of use full information in this site. I have been living in Arkansas for almost 2 years. My daughter who is 6 and I moved here from the Chicago area for family, but are no longer needed here. This is too slow and would like more of a midwest/souther flair. Im not really wanting to go back to Ill (to expensive, busy and cold) and looking in to the Springfield area. I have seen that its in 10 worse placed to raise a family any explination? I have noticed the Meth was a problem, I havent hear of it till I moved to the south, guess people up north use the more expensive drugs. Im looking for a good coumminty to raise my daughter where values, morals and religion are important. Im a christian who attends church weekly and involved in a small group. Contempary nondenominational is my preferance. Im an RN and have a house to sell so it may be awhile its OK because of school. Im planning a weekend trip to just check it out. Thanks for all your imput and have a blessed day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 AM

20 posts, read 81,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya M View Post
OK just joined bacause I found a lot of use full information in this site. I have been living in Arkansas for almost 2 years. My daughter who is 6 and I moved here from the Chicago area for family, but are no longer needed here. This is too slow and would like more of a midwest/souther flair. Im not really wanting to go back to Ill (to expensive, busy and cold) and looking in to the Springfield area. I have seen that its in 10 worse placed to raise a family any explination? I have noticed the Meth was a problem, I havent hear of it till I moved to the south, guess people up north use the more expensive drugs. Im looking for a good coumminty to raise my daughter where values, morals and religion are important. Im a christian who attends church weekly and involved in a small group. Contempary nondenominational is my preferance. Im an RN and have a house to sell so it may be awhile its OK because of school. Im planning a weekend trip to just check it out. Thanks for all your imput and have a blessed day.
Hi Tonya, welcome to the board! I will start out saying that no matter what you read or hear on this message board it's alway's best to come and see it for yourself, but I'm sure you already know that. Springfield is a wonderful place to raise a family. Even though you saw that Springfield was listed as the 10th worst place to raise a family on that article, just about every other major publication that Springfield was mentioned in was because of how great the city is for raising families. Great schools, universities, arts, and entertainment. It sounds like you would like the neighborhoods surrounding Missouri State University. There are tons of beautifull homes, great schools, and parks in the area. There is also a great nondenominational church called National Christian Church. Make sure you check out all the neighborhoods you can though, there are a lot. You might like the Southeast part of Springfield as well. If your looking to get a job as an RN in here definately go to St. John's. I can't say enough good things about that hospital. Let me know if you need any specific questions answered, and I'd be more than happy to answer them for you.

Here are some good links to check out:
City of Springfield, MO
SPS Home Page
Phelps Grove Neighborhood -- Home Page
Greater Springfield Board of REALTORS Springfield MO Real Estate Main Page
Springfield Business Development Corporation (great site for facts!)
Springfield, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2009, 03:49 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,552,594 times
I do not understand your poll at all???

Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM

20 posts, read 81,497 times
^yeah I was confused about that too.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Sorry not sure about the poll eg. best and worse places to raise a family?. New to this and I may have did something wrong. Thanks for the reply hey this is about a good as face book if not better more informative.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:24 AM

17 posts, read 53,073 times
Smile Springfield

I am curious as to where you saw that Springfield is one of the worst places to raise children. Could you send me that link, please.

I have been raised outside of Springfield. I left for 21 and a half years, and then returned for my children to get to know my family. When I returned in 2002 I was told that 1 out of 4 were Christians. I was not surprised. Assemblies of God World Headquarters is here.

I also know that Springfield is one of the areas in the nation that is very conservative and traditional. We always vote Republican and Christians are very vocal here. Schools and churches work together. Churches have adopted schools to help them paint, give items to the students, tutor the students, etc.

There are a lot of Christian-based companies here, too.

This is a very family-oriented place. I don't consider Springfield, to be Southern, though, if you are looking for a southern city atmosphere. It is definitely an Ozarks atmosphere.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM

thanks for the reply and Im planning on visiting in November and I can not wait. The site that I got the date from is one this site r/g best and worse places. I just think the ares is slower than the biggers cities but you still have all of the things you want or need. I love the seasons but dont care for the below zero temps. and think people are more friendly. I just really wanted to thank all of you and I let you all know how my visit goes.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya M View Post
I love the seasons but dont care for the below zero temps.
Are you referring to Springfield? It doesn't get that cold around here.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 PM

9,285 posts, read 16,124,531 times
she's originally from chicago and the nasty cold weather is one of the reasons she does not want to go back there......

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
she's originally from chicago and the nasty cold weather is one of the reasons she does not want to go back there......
Yes, I know. But her writing style makes it difficult to interpret whether she's talking about Springfield or Chicago in that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area