U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,254 times

Advertisements

I was looking through the posts and was wondering if anyone could give me an honest assessment of Merriam Woods. Everything I found seems to be negative (drugs, crappy roads, cheaply built housing etc.).

I found a good deal on a house there and was wondering if the city was really that bad?

Jobwise I know the situation around Branson. The house and car I have will be paid for, so I think I can make ends meet with what is available around there.

There is only me to support, no family.

All input welcome and thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke3437 View Post
I was looking through the posts and was wondering if anyone could give me an honest assessment of Merriam Woods. Everything I found seems to be negative (drugs, crappy roads, cheaply built housing etc.).

I found a good deal on a house there and was wondering if the city was really that bad?

Jobwise I know the situation around Branson. The house and car I have will be paid for, so I think I can make ends meet with what is available around there.

There is only me to support, no family.

All input welcome and thank you in advance for your help.
Merriam Woods has a definite character of its own. You have a complete mixture of every kind of house/trailer imaginable. There are $150,000 houses mixed in with single-wides that can't be worth $2,000. You have yards that are filled with every possible manner of trash and garbage (and dogs, and kids, and junker cars), right next to very nice double wide homes that are very well taken care of and have nicely landacaped yards. It is a total crap shoot. There are "nicer" parts where the majority of residences are presentable and there are "less nice" parts where you will have one rusted out mobile home after another.

I would not discourage buying there, however, you need to see the property (and the neighborhood) that you are buying into before you make a decision. I believe there are nicer parts of town that you can buy affordable housing in.

LakeJunkie? Are you there?

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,685,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would not discourage buying there, however, you need to see the property (and the neighborhood) that you are buying into before you make a decision. I believe there are nicer parts of town that you can buy affordable housing in.

LakeJunkie? Are you there?

20yrsinBranson
Hey. Sorry...been really busy!

Unfortunately, Merriam Woods/Rockaway Beach has gotten a "reputation" so that even tho' there are pockets of great, pockets of ok, pockets of just fine, pockets of wonderful, pockets of rundown junk...the entire mailing address gets dissed.

You absolutely need to see the property you're buying before you buy.
I will not help someone buy sight unseen.
That's crazy.

I personally considered buying in Rockaway Beach years ago...prior to "discovering" my little part of Table Rock Lake. It's not a bad place, and there are energizer-bunny folks who are committed to cleaning up, sprucing up, building up the area. I think it's only a matter of time...

And...in the matter of building quality...you need to look carefully and have inspections whatever you buy. Anywhere. Especially in an area that doesn't have building codes.

Nice to see you out, 20 yrs...isn't it 21 by now?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Well, actually it's 22 but I haven't bothered changing my user name - brand recognition you know. :-)

Rumor is that the market is picking up. That's great news for everybody. Good to see you too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
Well, I just moved to the Merriam Village in june of this year, and will try to be as honest as I can. Yes, there are a lot of trailer houses in this area. It is the most affordable housing a lot of workers from Branson and surrounding area can afford. A lot of the newer houses in the area make a stark contrast on the area. Though there are more run down older trailer houses in Merriam woods, there are a rising number of newer double wides, and wood frame houses coming into the area. But I have to say with the honesty I promised, that the higher number are of run down, trashy looking older single and doublewides here. and as for the roads, most are gravel, potholed and unkept. Only the main road through the village going from Rockaway Beach to the east to 160 to the west, is well paved. As I undserstand, that is the main road kept clear during winter weather, so I am told to expect to have times of hibernation in the house when bad weather is here during the winter. Because there is little money in the village treasury to be used to clear other than the main county road, that is to be expected.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM

429 posts, read 599,156 times
around that area you will pretty much get what you pay for...There are alot of really nice places to live and a lot of really nice people. However,It is just like anywhere else now so you have to be careful to lock up your stuff....

Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 PM

158 posts, read 312,777 times
20yrsinBranson - your description of Merriam Village was hilarious - thanks for a good laugh!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfTheOzarks View Post
20yrsinBranson - your description of Merriam Village was hilarious - thanks for a good laugh!
It falls into that category "truth is stranger than fiction" LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It falls into that category "truth is stranger than fiction" LOL

20yrsinBranson
We were just there and at Rockaway Beach yesterday -- gettin' ta know the area. Truth IS stranger than fiction at times and this is one of them. Some of those single-wides, complete with trash and broken down cars, should be preserved as historical representations of mountain/Ozarks/backwoods life in the 50s.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,148,141 times
I went trout fishing at Rockaway several years ago. Next time I go, I'm choosing another locale on Taneycomo. That place was depressing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area