U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,279 times

Advertisements

o

Last edited by cindy k allison; 10-28-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy k allison View Post
o
Well you couldn't possibly have picked a worse month. Look at it this way, if you survive January iin Missouri, the rest of the year is going to be a piece of cake.

Bring long underwear, a good coat and an ice scraper if you have one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM

635 posts, read 1,358,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well you couldn't possibly have picked a worse month. Look at it this way, if you survive January iin Missouri, the rest of the year is going to be a piece of cake.

Bring long underwear, a good coat and an ice scraper if you have one.

20yrsinBranson
I concur with that reply. It is BRRRRRRRR that time of year. A warm coat/gloves. Ice melt is nice for your porch and sidewalk. I love De-icer for my windshield...speeds up the scraping process. Have good tread on your tires to maximize grip on the roads. I was told to use 10/30 or higher grade of oil that time of year. Get anti-freeze checked regularly and get that battery tested before the below freezing temps get here. Many folks get up on a cold winter morning to find that their car won't start. However, we do have some unseasonably nice weather during that time of year too.

If your car is prepared...it will only take you a few seconds to realize if you are warm enough.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times
get your oil changed to 10/40 for sure, and dont forget about the anti-freeze!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
I hope the OP doesn't get the wrong impression about Springfield in January. We're more likely to have temps in the 40's than we are the teens. We get a few cold snaps each winter, but it never stays below freezing for more than a few days at a time.

This isn't the tundra, folks.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I hope the OP doesn't get the wrong impression about Springfield in January. We're more likely to have temps in the 40's than we are the teens. We get a few cold snaps each winter, but it never stays below freezing for more than a few days at a time.

This isn't the tundra, folks.
I'm thinking worst case scenario. Missouri weather is anything but predictable. I actually think February is colder...I think that is when we have gotten most the ice storms. Overnight temps get pretty chilly. You can have overnight temps in the 30's one night and single digits the next.

I think the best message is be car ready for these temperatures.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 AM

I completely agree with the advice about being prepared. I was just noting that the overall message in this thread was starting to paint a picture of Anchorage and not Springfield, MO.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I completely agree with the advice about being prepared. I was just noting that the overall message in this thread was starting to paint a picture of Anchorage and not Springfield, MO.
It might feel like Alaska...depending on where your moving from Imagine the shock if your coming from Southern CA or Florida.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 AM

86 posts, read 137,227 times
Flash Back

My wife and I went in February of 2006 for a week and we were hoping for snow and cold weather (we are from South MS, rarely cold NEVER SNOWS) and we saw no snow while in Springfield and the temp was cool but I would not call it cold, but on the way home every town we went through had gotten snow the day or night before so we drove home to the sides of the highway covered in snow. We were not happy travelers.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
It might feel like Alaska...depending on where your moving from Imagine the shock if your coming from Southern CA or Florida.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area