U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:21 PM

938 posts, read 3,054,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
I don't know OA, I just don't see it. Most of the people that I know that vote democratic just do it because that's the way they and their Daddy before them always voted, and they don't pay a whole lot of attention to the issues. Still they are dyed in the wool conservatives no doubt.

I know your folks have liberal friends down in Mtn. View (wasn't it Mtn View?), but I wouldn't move here counting on finding a "pocket" of liberals - at least not in the rural parts.
I do agree that rural Missouri tends to be quite conservative, but not everyone in rural Missouri is. The state as a whole is purple because St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia are all relatively liberal places, and their combined populations balance out the rural areas.

In the corner of Missouri that I originally hail from (close to Mtn. View), the Howell County Democrats are very active, there is a small community of people living "off the grid" in a very eco-friendly manner, and last time I was down in that neck of the woods I happened upon this radio station: Welcome to KZ88 Community Radio!.

While rural Missouri does tend to be conservative, there are people with more liberal mindsets there...not everyone from the area thinks and acts in the same manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I
In the corner of Missouri that I originally hail from (close to Mtn. View), the Howell County Democrats are very active, there is a small community of people living "off the grid" in a very eco-friendly manner, and last time I was down in that neck of the woods I happened upon this radio station: Welcome to KZ88 Community Radio!.
Phelps County's Democrats are active, too. For decades to vote for county offices you had to take a Democratic ballot in the August primary because that's where the winner was decided. The Republicans didn't field any candidates. Nevertheless, the county voted Republican for presidential and statewide offices for these are Jeffersonian Democrats, very conservative. It's changed a little in the last 20 years. There have been some Republican county officeholders.

MAN, it is hard to feature a Pacifica station in your corner of the Ozarks. The flaming liberals have apparently targeted that area and are moving in. Good place to avoid, sounds like.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM

938 posts, read 3,054,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Phelps County's Democrats are active, too. For decades to vote for county offices you had to take a Democratic ballot in the August primary because that's where the winner was decided. The Republicans didn't field any candidates. Nevertheless, the county voted Republican for presidential and statewide offices for these are Jeffersonian Democrats, very conservative. It's changed a little in the last 20 years. There have been some Republican county officeholders.

MAN, it is hard to feature a Pacifica station in your corner of the Ozarks. The flaming liberals have apparently targeted that area and are moving in. Good place to avoid, sounds like.
It tends to vary county-to-county further south in the Ozarks. All of the county offices are held by Republicans in Howell County, while in Oregon County - just to the east - they are all held by Democrats. Both counties tend to vote for Republicans by a 2:1 margin for federal offices.

I too was very surprised to hear a Pacifica station on the air in Texas County of all places. I suppose it adds some balance to a radio dial filled with Christian programing, top-40 hits, and country.

Regardless, I'd hate for a Californian trying to escape liberalism move to the Ozarks, tune the radio to KZ88, and realize there are some here too . Missouri is more diverse than many realize.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM

230 posts, read 504,976 times
How sad that there are so many people so unwelcoming to those that might be a bit different than they are, or have different beliefs: piercings, tattoos, liberals, etc.. What a sad, sad world this would be- not to mention boring- if we were all the same.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
How sad that there are so many people so unwelcoming to those that might be a bit different than they are, or have different beliefs: piercings, tattoos, liberals, etc.. What a sad, sad world this would be- not to mention boring- if we were all the same.
Not being the same doesn't mean you have to make a spectacle of yourself.

As for the rest (beliefs and politics), I agree with you.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,766,767 times
I have a tattoo and don't consider that making a spectacle of myself.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I have a tattoo and don't consider that making a spectacle of myself.
Nor would I.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I had to respond to this.

First of all, our station (KZGM) was a four year project which was done entirely by local native people who formed a local non-profit group to establish a station. There was no "targeting" the area. We live here. I love the area, the people, the friendliness and the community spirit that thrives in the area.

Yes, we are a Pacifica affiliate. Included in those programs are science programs, history, arts, as well as news programs with real journalists without talking points. The range of opinions is diverse and no one ever is cut off or insulted.

44% of our current programming is locally produced and features local people talking about gardening, hobbies, music, events, and community services. We broadcast live from many community events. There are also programs featuring independent artists including local groups and performers.

We have had three locally produced programs go national as they are picked up by other community stations across the country. It's a way to share the positive aspects of our Ozarks region.

We've only been on the air since April 2009. We're still looking for volunteers to create programming, learn new skills in broadcasting, computers, sales, and reporting. Free classes are available.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,703 times
Default Californians vs..??

Boy this thread changed it's direction didn't it? Back to why CA's are moving to MO? Ever wonder why people from AZ, FL, ILL, Iowa, OK, Kansas, etc..are moving to MO? I meet more people from other midwestern states who have recently moved to the area than from CA. Sure I meet CA'rs that are moving, but I wouldn't exactly call it an "influx" or an "exodus"....I doubt if it's even a drop in the bucket....

So the better question, why does ANYONE move here...? Probably the same reason anyone moves....better cost of living, new job, family, love the area, perceived/real reasons...even better weather in some cases.

So...back on topic my CD friends.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,148,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
So the better question, why does ANYONE move here...? Probably the same reason anyone moves....better cost of living, new job, family, love the area, perceived/real reasons...even better weather in some cases.

So...back on topic my CD friends.
Also because we are blessed with the freedom to live where we choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area