Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM

17 posts, read 35,360 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why alot of californians are moving to mo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne9115 View Post

I think a lot of it is the cost of living. Even with the economic problems in California, houses will still fetch a good price and the $$$ will go pretty far in Missouri. Not sure the attraction of MO but people like the slower pace here.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I think a lot of it is the cost of living. Even with the economic problems in California, houses will still fetch a good price and the $$$ will go pretty far in Missouri. Not sure the attraction of MO but people like the slower pace here.
Can't speak for others but can speak for my wife and me - both of us native Califoreigners who moved here and bought a home last month. By the way, we did not have a home to leverage at CA prices.

MO permits us to maximize our CA state retirements. But more important, it's like a move back to America. This is a state that preserves and values its history and culture ~ a state in which patriotism is clearly on display and being a veteran (me) is appreciated and respected ~ where God and Country predominate. The air is clean, there are four distinct seasons and people are friendly and welcoming.

People ask how you are here, and wait for an answer. They actually care! People wave and it's not a half a peace sign. It's a whole hand wave and you can wave back without fear of being shot for some stupidly perceived gang sign "infraction." Hospitality is a delightful mix of mid-western and southern and encompasses the best of both of them.

The youth here are polite and respectful and evident tattoos are rare, as are piercings. In fact, they even know how to keep their pants up. Imagine that.

Housing prices are reasonable, reachable and thus far the cost of living appears to be about 1/3 less than it was in CA. Houses are less than a third to half of CA's overly-inflated housing market. Oh, yeah! MO also gives income tax breaks to government employees from any state and doesn't tax Social Security so we'll pay about zilch.

Last but by no means least, it's a gorgeous state with four distinct but not overly harsh seasons. That was important to us.

Them's our reasons!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
^ What a great post about my beloved state!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 AM

471 posts, read 1,327,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne9115 View Post
Because Ozarkboy has been slackin off!!
BACK TO WORK!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM

31 posts, read 101,195 times
So here's the offensive right-wing nutjob in me speaking out: One of the many reasons I was excited to leave Arizona was to get away from the God-less liberal Californians that infest Arizona. Slight disappointment finding out they're migrating to Missouri, but I'm still happy about leaving Az.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Angry Not even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscled1 View Post
So here's the offensive right-wing nutjob in me speaking out: One of the many reasons I was excited to leave Arizona was to get away from the God-less liberal Californians that infest Arizona. Slight disappointment finding out they're migrating to Missouri, but I'm still happy about leaving Az.
Nope! It ain't those Califoreigners who are migrating to MO. It's those of us who deplore what's happened to our former state and appreciate traditional values and other societal norms.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
The No. 1 reason why Californians (and other people) are moving to Missouri: Cheap land.
The No. 2 reason: Taxes that are much lower than they are paying in California.
The No. 3 reason: We welcome them; well, many of us do. Not necessarily me.

The No. 1 problem with the influx of Californians: They come from a nanny culture and expect all problems to be taken care of by the government or someone else.
The No. 2 problem: Because our taxes are lower than they are used to, they believe we are under-taxed and are eager to get involved in community projects to raise city, county, school and state taxes so the government can provide more services and do more for people (see the No. 1 problem).
The No. 3 problem: They want the culture to fit them rather than fitting into the culture.

There are exceptions; many of you have proven to be such. In general, this is what I have found transplants to be, though, ever since I transplanted my own family to Missouri from Georgia back in '53.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nope! It ain't those Califoreigners who are migrating to MO. It's those of us who deplore what's happened to our former state and appreciate traditional values and other societal norms.
What he and Ozarksboy said! Any of the libs who are leaving California are heading to places like Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Colorado. Missouri? Naaahhhh. Flyover country. Ain't nuttin' in Misery...move along now, move along.....

Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
move along now, move along.....
Nothing to see, nothing going on.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area