U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times

Advertisements

Please allow me to resurrect this thread to illustrate yet another instance of our stellar radio news reporting system.

Last night there was, what had to have been a four-alarm fire DIRECTLY ON THE HIGHWAY between Branson and Springfield. There has to have been 40 emergency vehicles there. Flames shooting out of the building 20 feet high. It was 7:30 pm.

I logged on to tour 'HOME TOWN RADIO" website this afternoon and there was not so much as a whisper about it. I called the news department and they did not have a clue. NOT A FRIGGIN CLUE.

Thank God the world trade center was hit during the day. Because if it had been hit after 5 pm we might have never found out about it.

You can give me all the lame excuses about "budgeting" you want. But you know what? It only takes ONE PERSON WHO CARES to make a news department vital, effective, timely, productive and valuable.

Apparently, no one at "HOME TOWN RADIO" in Branson fives a flying F * * * about it. It's a job, you know. Just a job. Not a public service. Not anything worth caring about. Just a friggin paycheck.

Makes me sick to my stomach.

20yrsinBranson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Hmmmmmmm

My experience with our "local radio station" (make that YOUR local radio station ) is that unless something happens between 9 am and 5 pm you will never hear about it.

I once was driving home from working late on a rather unpleasant rainly night, there was a horrific accident involving a bus on the approach to Shepherd of the Hills. As I was sitting at the light at SOH and 76, no less than FOUR emergency vehicles, sirens screaming and emergency lights on, blasted through the intersection. Fearing the worst, I took a powder at the closest convenience store thinking I might want to take an alternate route if the road was going to be closed for a time.

Not wanting to bother our local dispatcher, I thought I might call the radio station to see if they had any report of road closures due to the wreck. Alas, not only did they have no idea about the wreck, but the person "on duty" sounded about 14 years old, and was only there to "run the computer" because their show was on syndication that night.

What really was the icing on the cake though, was one night when we had major tornado action and I turned on to that station only to find yet ANOTHER SYNDICATED show on the air and no mention of the bad weather approaching.

It was at that moment that KTTS became "my" hometown radio station. They were providing miniute-by-minute weather reports.

Lake Junkie, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the RADIO STATION were buglarized and they had no idea of it happening. While the radio station you mention is perhaps "adequate" for playing music, it certainly is NOT reliable as a news source, at least not in my opinion.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM

48 posts, read 97,928 times
I find it so interesting that you guys have this problem. In Omaha, all the radio stations that I listen to (and I flip between about 4 of them) are really good about reporting accidents and weather. They will break into whatever is playing if we have tornados or any other severe weather. They don't really break into what's playing for things like accidents, but they definitely stay up to date on them. They cover more of the burgalaries and such in the mornings on the morning shows. Sorry, just had to throw in my two cents.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post
I find it so interesting that you guys have this problem. In Omaha, all the radio stations that I listen to (and I flip between about 4 of them) are really good about reporting accidents and weather. They will break into whatever is playing if we have tornados or any other severe weather. They don't really break into what's playing for things like accidents, but they definitely stay up to date on them. They cover more of the burgalaries and such in the mornings on the morning shows. Sorry, just had to throw in my two cents.
Apparently, Omaha has it's act together. Or maybe they just care more about providing a valuable service to the community. I don't know, but you're lucky to have them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Sorry, 20yrs...I'm going to have to gently disagree again...it's not about whether they CARE. You're talking about the difference between a city that has 1.2 million residents within a 50 mile radius of city center, and a city that has maybe 20,000 residents in the same radius. C'mon...it's about budget.

I happen to know personally most of the people who work at the radio station, so when you say they don't care, I can tell you don't know them. This bunch of people does more to help the local community than any radio group I've known...in any size market!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area