U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,524,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------I don't want to be any less than 1 mile from my nearest neighbor"--

Unless you buy land surrounded by govt land, you will be buying well over 1,000 acres to ensure that.

Got deep pockets ?

Got winning lottery tickets ?

That's why southern Missouri doesn't appeal to me. There's still some places left that aren't so crowded.
You have a better chance of finding something like that in Northern Missouri, but it's still hard.
I've seriously thought about North or South Dakota, eastern Montana, Nebraska or northern Minnesota if I want to truly go the peace and quiet route. Obviously, weather is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
That's why southern Missouri doesn't appeal to me. There's still some places left that aren't so crowded.
You have a better chance of finding something like that in Northern Missouri, but it's still hard.
I've seriously thought about North or South Dakota, eastern Montana, Nebraska or northern Minnesota if I want to truly go the peace and quiet route. Obviously, weather is not an issue.
Ummm! There are reasons some places aren't crowded, ya know! Now take Alaska...

Old 11-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ummm! There are reasons some places aren't crowded, ya know! Now take Alaska...
Other than weather, which is totally a non-issue for me as long as it's not too hot, I can't think of any reasons those places aren't crowded. Cold weather has a way of weeding them out.
Most of the places I mentioned have very low unemployment rates, and North Dakota is regularly trying to recruit people to move there to fill vacant jobs.
Some might say the scenery isn't nice enough, but then why does Dallas continue to grow? It's about as ugly as it gets topographically speaking. Same scenerio applies to tornados.
Low paying jobs, perhaps? No, can't be that. Otherwise, the Ozarks would be completely empty. Jobs down there pay next to nothing, at least in my line of work.
I don't go along with mainstream thinking in the way I look at places to live. I also rarely if ever go to all the usual tourist traps like Vegas or Disneyland.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,431,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Greene County officials, looking into the future, have developed a land use plan that recognizes the agricultural heritage of the county is coming to an end.

The land use plan will guide the "gobbling up" of farm land for subdivisions so people can buy or build homes with small acreages. Good-bye cattle grazing in fields; hello Califoreigners with their country estates and McMansions.

Interesting story in the Springfield paper; I think it shows Greene County is open to newcomers from California and other states. This is great; it will keep them out of Phelps County.
In keeping with the Wall Street plan that 90% of US food supply will be importred from China by 2020 at the latest.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
Conservation easements for preserving and protecting land from future development are not at all common in the middle part of the country. Also, the migration from residents to other states have slowed way down due to economic issues everywhere. Organic growth with less in the way of dependence on in-migration for continued overall economic vitality should be the desirable path to follow. I prefer very slow levels of growth along with slow levels of employment growth. Stability and a solid sense of community while preserving agricultural lands and wooded lands increase the overall quality of life for the populace.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Red face Ahem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
The biggest attraction to southern Missouri is it's ruralness, but even the way-out places have become too crowded. <snip> I'd definitely want to live in the country, but so does everyone else it seems.

<snip> I don't want to be any less than 1 mile from my nearest nieghbor. Unfortunately, that would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do in southern Missouri anymore.
Au, contraire, mon fraire! It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do that within 20 minutes of Springfield, perhaps, but I can find you that very thing in a multitude of directions within a 25 minute drive of Branson. Thankfully, these hills 'n hollers down here in the lakes area keep the bulk of the flat landers (not you, Curm) holding tight to "city water".

What you can't do is find that kind of privacy/isolation within 5 minutes of a Starbucks.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:39 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Au, contraire, mon fraire! It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do that within 20 minutes of Springfield, perhaps, but I can find you that very thing in a multitude of directions within a 25 minute drive of Branson. Thankfully, these hills 'n hollers down here in the lakes area keep the bulk of the flat landers (not you, Curm) holding tight to "city water".

What you can't do is find that kind of privacy/isolation within 5 minutes of a Starbucks.

Absolutely correct. We're a good 30 minutes from anywhere except a few convenience stores scattered through the area and a lot of people would find that isolating and inconvenient. The upsides are the peace, quiet, tranquility, safety, community spirit, abundent nature and, of course, the lake.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post

I was only lamenting the fact that Springfield is becoming so spread out.
As for me personally, if I wanted to live out in the country around there, I'd go probably an hour outside of town. Then I'd make dadgum sure I'd never have to work in town and make that drive.

I'm quite familiar with southern Missouri, especially the back roads around towns like Gainsville and Ava. Maybe it's peaceful enough for you, but it's just too crowded for me. Yeah, maybe I'm asking for too much.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
[quote=GraniteStater;11616662]Organic growth with less in the way of dependence on in-migration for continued overall economic vitality should be the desirable path to follow. /QUOTE]

This is an interesting statement. Would you further embroider on that thesis, please?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
[quote=ozarksboy;11623993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Organic growth with less in the way of dependence on in-migration for continued overall economic vitality should be the desirable path to follow. /QUOTE]

This is an interesting statement. Would you further embroider on that thesis, please?
If you examine the cities and places that have been the most severly impacted by this "great recession" they are all places that were dependent on a unsustainable bubble economy tied to extreme levels of in-migration. The types of employment that got constrained the most were: construction, real estate development, services, tourism dependence, etc. Most of those areas were in the Sunbelt states of CA, AZ, NV, FL, etc. All of those states now have unemployment rates above 11%. They came to realize that their economies were not nearly as diversified or recession proof as they thought.

The path toward sustainable levels of growth in both population and employment might tend to be more of a statist ideology, but is far more sustainable. Organic growth is nutured through higher levels of education and entrepreneurship which leads to growth in small businesses at the town level. A solid local educational system also allows the local citizens to learn new job skills or be "retrained" as well. Slower levels of population growth reduces the pressure for towns to downshift the infrastructure costs of development projects onto the citizens in terms of higher taxes. Developers would then have to "pay their own way" for development projects instead of being allowed to get enormous tax breaks. I have seen many cases when a town gives an employer huge tax breaks only to see the employer leave a few years down the road. This leaves the town with a huge burden and little to show for all the tax dollars spent to lure the employer in the first place.
Study: Tax-Break Incentives for Business Seldom Pay Off - Knowledge@W.P. Carey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area