Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

You must have great neighbors who agree to sell you 1-2 acres of their land ( get deeds written up etc) each year that you decide you can afford it.

You make it sound like buying land next to you is like buying groceries---------always avaulable and in the quantity you desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You must have great neighbors who agree to sell you 1-2 acres of their land ( get deeds written up etc) each year that you decide you can afford it.

You make it sound like buying land next to you is like buying groceries---------always avaulable and in the quantity you desire.
Luckily it is that easy. I have great neighbors. And the neighbor I am buying from wants me to buy all 290 acres of woodland, unfortunately I cannot afford all of that at once, so he is selling and deeding me 1-2 acres per year.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:01 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,761 times
Default Think about it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I have 10 acres atm. 8 of them are forestland. I plan on buying 1-2 acres a year bordering my property as long as I can afford it. I have my will written that it is to pass down to my daughters with a stipulation that they cannot sell it.
Make sure they want it with that stipulation. I have property from my dad with the stipulation that I can't sell it until he's gone...all it is to me is a tax burden. I would like to be able to give it all back. I can't imagine what it would be like if the stipulation was that I could NEVER sell it. Just something to think about.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:06 PM

270 posts, read 656,056 times
You can also put land into some kind of "Land trust" for conservation and stuff like that, or you could turn it into some kind of a park for the public, too. Doesn't the MDC have some kind of program for letting land set idle and stuff? I think it has to be a certain number of acres but I think you can get paid to set aside land for deer and stuff.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Sorry, but a stipulation like that is nothing more than micro-managing from the grave in my opinion. Either you trust your children to do what's right or you don't. Control means nothing once you've assumed room temperature!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
You can also put land into some kind of "Land trust" for conservation and stuff like that, or you could turn it into some kind of a park for the public, too. Doesn't the MDC have some kind of program for letting land set idle and stuff? I think it has to be a certain number of acres but I think you can get paid to set aside land for deer and stuff.
Besides the MDC [no offense, but IMHO, I'm getting more weary of trusting the State ], there are many Land Trusts that may be interested in acquiring such land.
Home Page — Land Trust Alliance
Find a Land Trust
Ozark Regional Land Trust
Watershed Institute and Land Trust-- Home Page

Back to more on topic... the following may not be popular or PC, but I'd love to see population growth cease and stop - the population IMHO should stabilize at a point where it can be sustained, and remain healthy [in body, soul, mental, and spirit] and vibrant. I do NOT buy the logic that a country, a state, any area would decay w/o growth. To wit, I present the following, as just one example: Human Population Growth and Distribution in Southeast Michigan | Indicators | LLRS | EPA

Quote:
... Population growth can lead to dramatic changes in communities and the landscape. As new dwellings, businesses, and industries are built or expanded, land is converted from one use to another to accommodate that change. As development expands across suburbs and once rural landscapes, traffic congestion, unattractive commercial strips, and the destruction of a more pastoral landscape push people who seek open space even farther into the countryside. They are aided by a fast and efficient road network and relatively low land prices.

As people seek the "good life" further and further out from the urban core, land, energy, natural resources, and open space disappear. The land use pattern that results is costly to service and, over time, results in a loss of the very qualities sought by those who moved there. As the transportation system expands into previously undeveloped or minimally developed areas, water and air pollution can increase and wildlife habitat can be fragmented or lost. ...
It is rare, sadly, that population growth way too often begets the loss of farm &/or wild lands, the destruction of ecosystems, and other negative environmental changes to the lands that the urban growth claims.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Luckily it is that easy. I have great neighbors. And the neighbor I am buying from wants me to buy all 290 acres of woodland, unfortunately I cannot afford all of that at once, so he is selling and deeding me 1-2 acres per year.
---290 acres----1-2 acres per year--

At that rate you should own it somewhere in the next 145-290 years

( and people think it took Johnny Cash a long time to get his new Cadillac " one piece at a time" )

Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 PM

270 posts, read 656,056 times
Two posts up:

This is exactly what I am seeing happen. People move further out to get some peace from crowding and traffic but within a few years so many others have done the same thing, that they are basically living in town again. The first thing developers do is plow everything down and so you're countryside plot that used to face a forest ends up looking right smack into a manilla subdivision with two strands or some Asian grass and a few Bradford Pears that will fall down the first time the wind picks up. Eventually, when crowding reaches a critical mass, the strip malls come and people need to move further out again.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---290 acres----1-2 acres per year--

At that rate you should own it somewhere in the next 145-290 years

( and people think it took Johnny Cash a long time to get his new Cadillac " one piece at a time" )

Of course once my home is paid off within the next 5 years I will buy more at a much faster rate. No mortgage at that point lol.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sorry, but a stipulation like that is nothing more than micro-managing from the grave in my opinion. Either you trust your children to do what's right or you don't. Control means nothing once you've assumed room temperature!

Call it what you will, my family will always have a place it can call home. That is what I want to do with it. I have been placing money into a trust that will pay the taxes long after I am gone btw. My children will never have the burden of paying the property taxes. I am adding a 1% increase each year to the amount I am placing in the trust. That should cover any tax hikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area