U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: NIXA, MO
17 posts, read 30,901 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Personally who are we to judge ANYONE!!! I for one LOVE JESUS CHRIST and im not ashamed of saying so.. i am not a church goer (havent found the right one yet) and going to church alone is not going to get you to heaven... we all have our different beliefs and i for one doesnt shove it down anyones throat or judge anyone for what they believe or how they act.... I try and focus on me and how I act and treat others.... But there are ( christians out there that give GOOD christians a bad name... Those will have to face there maker!!!
MY OPINION ONLY

 
Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 PM
 
23 posts, read 22,867 times
Reputation: 10
To answer the question about the Bible Belt, yes you are in the Bible Belt. But just as a side note you are also in a Christan nation. I believe that the last I heard, a specific "study" claimed that 86% of Americans were of a Christian Religion, but ya know I didn't partake in that study so I don't know.

There are all kinds of Christians and other religions around, and if you have not meet someone in those well then hun, I say that you need to get out more. I have not gone one day without meeting someone of another faith. You have the ones that stick kids in boxes with rattle snakes and if they are bitten then they are sinners. You have ones that will in fact give you everything that they own. You have people out there that are going to not believe in a higher power, and then those that do. There are all kinds of people, beliefs, and ways of life.

Now a little about human nature, people like to be around those who believe the same things as they do. It is important for people to know that they are with others that have the same faith, they become threatened with new ideas. Many people only see the world as one way and that is there way. It is really unfortunate and great all at the same time.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
 
418 posts, read 1,030,287 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedharma View Post
Now a little about human nature, people like to be around those who believe the same things as they do. It is important for people to know that they are with others that have the same faith, they become threatened with new ideas. Many people only see the world as one way and that is there way. It is really unfortunate and great all at the same time.
I was pretty much with you until this last paragraph. I agree that people like to be around others that believe the same things they do. I also believe that some people are threatened by religion and faith and they only see the world one way and are threatened by different ideas. See - it works both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
Wow Ozarksboy- Now that totally irks me!
Dang it OB! You irked someone again!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-10-2009 at 08:40 PM..
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
 
10,157 posts, read 9,909,396 times
Reputation: 3914
When a person tells you that they will treat you as Christian like as they can. Then look out! Also when they wrap their arm around you; just looking for a soft place to stick the knife in! lol (Business wise that is)

Oh yes there are more that are good than the bad ones!
 
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 12,906,251 times
Reputation: 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne9115 View Post
Personally who are we to judge ANYONE!!! I for one LOVE JESUS CHRIST and im not ashamed of saying so.. i am not a church goer (havent found the right one yet) and going to church alone is not going to get you to heaven... we all have our different beliefs and i for one doesnt shove it down anyones throat or judge anyone for what they believe or how they act.... I try and focus on me and how I act and treat others.... But there are ( christians out there that give GOOD christians a bad name... Those will have to face there maker!!!
MY OPINION ONLY

---" or judge anyone for what they believe or how they act"--

I have no trouble being around people with various beliefs.
I do not want to be around people who I deem act inappropriate.


"love the sinner,hate the sin"
 
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,920 posts, read 74,990,336 times
Reputation: 128852
I have enjoyed many days in Branson and never never had an experience like the OP is referring too. It was always live and let live and enjoy life.
 
Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
 
23 posts, read 22,867 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
I was pretty much with you until this last paragraph. I agree that people like to be around others that believe the same things they do. I also believe that some people are threatened by religion and faith and they only see the world one way and are threatened by different ideas. See - it works both ways.



Dang it OB! You irked someone again!
Yes I agree, I did not word correctly. All people are threatened, and all people only want to see the world as they want to. The they that I was referring to is all humans, no matter what their beliefs (a better term). But the feeling of being "threatened" doesn't stop with only religious beliefs, it is in all aspects of life.
 
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
 
418 posts, read 1,030,287 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedharma View Post
Yes I agree, I did not word correctly. All people are threatened, and all people only want to see the world as they want to. The they that I was referring to is all humans, no matter what their beliefs (a better term). But the feeling of being "threatened" doesn't stop with only religious beliefs, it is in all aspects of life.
Ah, in that case we do agree.
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 AM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Reputation: 1556
Default Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnewyork View Post
I was hoping someone could help me understand the whole religion thing here. I knew this was the bible belt, but I was apparently confused by what that meant. It seems people have religion Snubbery here, for lack of a better word. People like to tell you how Christian they are all the time. What does that even mean? I have not met a singe Jewish person, so I am assuming everyone is some form of "Christian". I am Catholic, but it doesn't seem that the local people take to that religion too much. I know the Assembly of God religion is big, but I am noticing ( and PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong) that those people DO NOT socialize or even speak to anyone outside of that church, even if they live right next door. To me, that is not really Christian. Am I wrong? I don't get it. It also seems that people that like to tell you how Christian they are like to put you down if you like to have a glass of wine. I don't understand. I am trying to figure this out. I am just trying to understand this culture. Can someone explain this. I am wondering if I was Jewish, if anyone would speak to me. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I seriously don't get it!
This is totally NOT my experience here. I wonder, too, if you aren't trying to start an argument...

I have met Christians who tell me they are really excited and amazed how easy it is to be open about their faith in this part of the country, depending on where they are coming from...where being a Christian is looked down on, criticized or ridiculed.

I've also, now that someone mentioned it, met NON-Christians who are pretty darn uppity about THAT...

I find this to be a pretty laid back area where you can live and let live.

Shall we?


 
Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Wyoming
230 posts, read 505,167 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
This is totally NOT my experience here. I wonder, too, if you aren't trying to start an argument...
Hmmm, I guess the right thing to do as a "Christian" would be to quit putting the blame on the OP, and accept that maybe this person wasn't as "blessed" as you were in this area. It's entirely possible that it did happen to the OP, even if it didn't to you- and if it didn't, consider yourself lucky. Replies such as these only serve to illustrate my earlier comment.

I too have experienced religious discrimination in my state, even from members of my own family. They all think their church is the "one true church", and the rest of the world is wrong- and believe me, they let you know it. It's out there, it does happen, so take off your blinders and reach out a kind hand to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top