U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: NIXA, MO
17 posts, read 30,901 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
hmmm, i guess the right thing to do as a "christian" would be to quit putting the blame on the op, and accept that maybe this person wasn't as "blessed" as you were in this area. It's entirely possible that it did happen to the op, even if it didn't to you- and if it didn't, consider yourself lucky. Replies such as these only serve to illustrate my earlier comment.

I too have experienced religious discrimination in my state, even from members of my own family. They all think their church is the "one true church", and the rest of the world is wrong- and believe me, they let you know it. It's out there, it does happen, so take off your blinders and reach out a kind hand to others.

amen!!!!!!

 
Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,296 posts, read 7,151,642 times
Reputation: 16384
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
It's out there, it does happen, so take off your blinders and reach out a kind hand to others.

Lake Junkie is one of the kindest posters on this forum and has reached out a kind hand to others.
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
 
Location: NIXA, MO
17 posts, read 30,901 times
Reputation: 25
[quote=Lake Junkie;11592061]This is totally NOT my experience here. I wonder, too, if you aren't trying to start an argument...



Personally I think that was an unfair accusation!!... just because you yourself havent experienced such instances doesnt mean others havent... its out there.... mjnewyork was just voicing his or her opinion..nothing wrong with that... im sure he or she wasnt trying to start anything..
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,431,675 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnewyork View Post
I was hoping someone could help me understand the whole religion thing here. I knew this was the bible belt, but I was apparently confused by what that meant. It seems people have religion Snubbery here, for lack of a better word. People like to tell you how Christian they are all the time. What does that even mean? I have not met a singe Jewish person, so I am assuming everyone is some form of "Christian". I am Catholic, but it doesn't seem that the local people take to that religion too much. I know the Assembly of God religion is big, but I am noticing ( and PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong) that those people DO NOT socialize or even speak to anyone outside of that church, even if they live right next door. To me, that is not really Christian. Am I wrong? I don't get it. It also seems that people that like to tell you how Christian they are like to put you down if you like to have a glass of wine. I don't understand. I am trying to figure this out. I am just trying to understand this culture. Can someone explain this. I am wondering if I was Jewish, if anyone would speak to me. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I seriously don't get it!
Its too complex a subject for this venue, google "Civic Religion" and get an idea on what to read if you really want to understand religion in the US.

In a nutshell most "born again" people are, in essence, worshiping their own society and carried out to its logical end, by implication-themselves.
If Jesus came back tomorrow and said God was not an american,they'd probaly be looking around for some lumber and nails before he finished his sentence.

Not that they know this of course.Few born again folks consider Catholics Christians,most see you as an ignorant idol worshipper to be blunt.Don't expect them to be talking to you any time soon.
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,136 posts, read 21,133,751 times
Reputation: 23168
Well, times and places change. We Christians are constantly told we cannot speak freely about our religion, etc. so I guess some are adjusting. I just got an e-mail about us having a "Holiday Tree" this year. I hadn't heard about that one yet.

As for our being a Christian nation: Although 85 percent of us claim Christianity, our president says we are not a Christian nation and he speaks for us as our leader. God does not force himself on people and we can worship God and his protection will be for his people, but our nation is no longer under that protection because our president denied it.

So bottom line: Years ago when we were discussing the influx of people who pick and choose who they talk to and sometimes wouldn't speak to us at all; a young lady in our Sunday school class made this statement. "I have always been taught that you should speak and be friendly to everyone, but I have no trouble in doing it their way and speaking only to those you choose to speak to." I was not brought up like that, but where I come from, Christians were not being bad mouthed and stomped on every day either. Life is not easy for Christians in the United States right now. It is difficult to be a Christian and live in a nation that is not Christian.

Jesus loves me this I know--the Bible tells me so. Pass it on and hopefully we will become a Christian nation again.
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,358,249 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Well, times and places change. We Christians are constantly told we cannot speak freely about our religion, etc. so I guess some are adjusting. I just got an e-mail about us having a "Holiday Tree" this year. I hadn't heard about that one yet.

As for our being a Christian nation: Although 85 percent of us claim Christianity, our president says we are not a Christian nation and he speaks for us as our leader. God does not force himself on people and we can worship God and his protection will be for his people, but our nation is no longer under that protection because our president denied it.

So bottom line: Years ago when we were discussing the influx of people who pick and choose who they talk to and sometimes wouldn't speak to us at all; a young lady in our Sunday school class made this statement. "I have always been taught that you should speak and be friendly to everyone, but I have no trouble in doing it their way and speaking only to those you choose to speak to." I was not brought up like that, but where I come from, Christians were not being bad mouthed and stomped on every day either. Life is not easy for Christians in the United States right now. It is difficult to be a Christian and live in a nation that is not Christian.

Jesus loves me this I know--the Bible tells me so. Pass it on and hopefully we will become a Christian nation again.

We are accountable as a person. Lets not lump wether we as "individuals" have protection by a statement the president may or may not have said. Just because one (individual) or a "nation" claims to be something does not make it so.

I am by no means "religious" but I know that actions speak louder than words and if you don't practice what you preach than a "christian nation" is not going to save your a (butt).
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 12,906,251 times
Reputation: 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Its too complex a subject for this venue, google "Civic Religion" and get an idea on what to read if you really want to understand religion in the US.

In a nutshell most "born again" people are, in essence, worshiping their own society and carried out to its logical end, by implication-themselves.
If Jesus came back tomorrow and said God was not an american,they'd probaly be looking around for some lumber and nails before he finished his sentence.

Not that they know this of course.Few born again folks consider Catholics Christians,most see you as an ignorant idol worshipper to be blunt.Don't expect them to be talking to you any time soon.
Regarding Catholics----the old KKK hated Catholics as much as they hated Blacks and Jews.

My dad talked about actions against Catholics by the KKK when he was a logger in Oregon in the 1920's.

Sort of going off topic, but injecting some history .
 
Old 11-12-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: NIXA, MO
17 posts, read 30,901 times
Reputation: 25
Well let us all thank God we are all here alive and breathing although sometimes not always pleasant to be on this earth at least we are... Let us all love one another and know that each and everyone of us have our different beliefs, religions and point of views and to keep in mind we are all humans and none of us are perfect!!

ps Thank you lake junkie!!!
 
Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City
1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne9115 View Post
Well let us all thank God we are all here alive and breathing although sometimes not always pleasant to be on this earth at least we are... Let us all love one another and know that each and everyone of us have our different beliefs, religions and point of views and to keep in mind we are all humans and none of us are perfect!!

ps Thank you lake junkie!!!
Ditto...and let us all realize that communication is challenging...especially online!

We're ...

 
Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
230 posts, read 505,167 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Ditto...and let us all realize that communication is challenging...especially online!

We're ...

Agreed! Reading something online can come across entirely different than the person intended. Thank you Lake Junkie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top