U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 17,131 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could help me understand the whole religion thing here. I knew this was the bible belt, but I was apparently confused by what that meant. It seems people have religion Snubbery here, for lack of a better word. People like to tell you how Christian they are all the time. What does that even mean? I have not met a singe Jewish person, so I am assuming everyone is some form of "Christian". I am Catholic, but it doesn't seem that the local people take to that religion too much. I know the Assembly of God religion is big, but I am noticing ( and PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong) that those people DO NOT socialize or even speak to anyone outside of that church, even if they live right next door. To me, that is not really Christian. Am I wrong? I don't get it. It also seems that people that like to tell you how Christian they are like to put you down if you like to have a glass of wine. I don't understand. I am trying to figure this out. I am just trying to understand this culture. Can someone explain this. I am wondering if I was Jewish, if anyone would speak to me. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I seriously don't get it!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM

20 posts, read 81,514 times
Ok, I think your jumping the gun here. Yes there are a lot of AG people here, but there is also a sizable Catholic population as well as many others. I'm sure you will run into the occasional christian snob as you explained above, but just do what I do "forgive and forget"! I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Springfield is that everyone goes to church here. The larger part of the population here doesn't attend church. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it's reality. And to answer your ridiculous question, YES PEOPLE WILL SPEAK TO YOU.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnewyork View Post
I was hoping someone could help me understand the whole religion thing here. I knew this was the bible belt, but I was apparently confused by what that meant. It seems people have religion Snubbery here, for lack of a better word. People like to tell you how Christian they are all the time. What does that even mean? I have not met a singe Jewish person, so I am assuming everyone is some form of "Christian". I am Catholic, but it doesn't seem that the local people take to that religion too much. I know the Assembly of God religion is big, but I am noticing ( and PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong) that those people DO NOT socialize or even speak to anyone outside of that church, even if they live right next door. To me, that is not really Christian. Am I wrong? I don't get it. It also seems that people that like to tell you how Christian they are like to put you down if you like to have a glass of wine. I don't understand. I am trying to figure this out. I am just trying to understand this culture. Can someone explain this. I am wondering if I was Jewish, if anyone would speak to me. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I seriously don't get it!

I lived there for 5 years and what you are describing is the exception, not the rule.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
It's not the AOG (Pentacostals) you gotta watch it's the Baptists. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,668 times
You said this on another thread....

Quote:
It really stinks to be with a bunch of snobs. So not the case here! Take your time, and look everywhere. Remember if you get a lot of land, you most like will not see you neighbors that much. You make like that. We don't .
...and then you immediately said this....

Quote:
It seems people have religion Snubbery here, for lack of a better word. People like to tell you how Christian they are all the time. What does that even mean? .
No snobbery but snubbery? Are you sure you aren't trying to bait or troll or whatever it is the young people call such a posting as yours?

I really can't see much of this "religious snubbery" happening. I'm a regular church-goer and I can't see myself or anyone else shunning you because of your religion or lack of it. I can see me avoiding you for a lot of other reasons, but not for religion.

Maybe that's what's happening. Maybe there are myriad reasons people are staying away from you. Maybe when people invite you to church, which is a reasonable thing to do, you berate them or belittle them. Maybe they know that you don't like evangelical churchgoers so they give you your space. That ought to please you, so don't call it snubbing. Maybe you are just not very likable.

I doubt people are bragging about what good Christians they are. That's just not the way Christians operate; Christians agree with Apostle Paul who described himself as the chief sinner. Christians understand what worthless sinners they are in the eyes of God without Christ in their lives; they believe their hope is not in the works they do but in the sacrifice of Christ Himself, so they don't brag about their charitable works.

Now, I offend a lot of people here, so I expect I've offended you, too. I'm entirely unrepentant for that.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 PM

116 posts, read 194,829 times
Ozarksboy,
I agree 100% with you !!!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 PM

230 posts, read 505,091 times
Wow Ozarksboy- Now that totally irks me! Instead of blaming the OP for the snubbery, how about you maybe accept that many Christians out there (of course not including you- I'm rolling my eyes and saying this sarcastically) are very hypocritical. Over my 43 years I have met many kind, compassionate Christian people that are loving and would give you the shirt off of their backs. I've also met the other kind: Judgmental, unforgiving, snubbing, holier-than-thou snobs. And they claim to be Christians- they seem to believe that just saying it makes it true. They turn up their noses at anyone who is not the same religion, or who might go to a different church, or have piercings, tattoos, or God forbid they are gay, etc.. They ARE out there- they are the reason why so many people shy away from church and religion.

And YES, many "Christians" do brag about what "good Christians" they are. Just saying you are a Christian, or actually even being a Christian does not make you exempt from acting this way. My family are regular church goers and I have been in church more times than I can count. But I can honestly say that some of the kindest people I have met are non-believers. I get no judgments, no attitude. You claim to be a Christian Ozarksboy, and yet you immediately judged the OP and belittled them. Shame on you- get off your high horse. I rarely comment on posts like these, but this one hit my one raw nerve left tonight.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM

635 posts, read 1,357,961 times
Quote:
I think it depends on how you are in the conversation of religion. No one here or anywhere else wants a particular view or religion shoved down their throats.

There are hypocrites here and everywhere else too. If someone acts "holier than thou" than they are a "snob" and will "snub" others anyway regardless of topic. In my opinion its just bad character...period.

But as was mentioned in another post...I have found many areas of Missouri quite open to differences in Religion and beliefs. Agnostic or Athiest does not roll well with some Christians but I think "true" Christians focus (at least should) on their own standing with God without judging.

Within any community, you will find a group of people that you blend well with...if extreme views of Christianity bother you than I reckon you won't be hanging with them.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 AM

17 posts, read 30,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
wow ozarksboy- now that totally irks me! Instead of blaming the op for the snubbery, how about you maybe accept that many christians out there (of course not including you- i'm rolling my eyes and saying this sarcastically) are very hypocritical. Over my 43 years i have met many kind, compassionate christian people that are loving and would give you the shirt off of their backs. I've also met the other kind: Judgmental, unforgiving, snubbing, holier-than-thou snobs. And they claim to be christians- they seem to believe that just saying it makes it true. They turn up their noses at anyone who is not the same religion, or who might go to a different church, or have piercings, tattoos, or god forbid they are gay, etc.. They are out there- they are the reason why so many people shy away from church and religion.

And yes, many "christians" do brag about what "good christians" they are. Just saying you are a christian, or actually even being a christian does not make you exempt from acting this way. My family are regular church goers and i have been in church more times than i can count. But i can honestly say that some of the kindest people i have met are non-believers. I get no judgments, no attitude. You claim to be a christian ozarksboy, and yet you immediately judged the op and belittled them. Shame on you- get off your high horse. I rarely comment on posts like these, but this one hit my one raw nerve left tonight.

yeah what he said 100% !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollym313 View Post
i think it depends on how you are in the conversation of religion. No one here or anywhere else wants a particular view or religion shoved down their throats.

There are hypocrites here and everywhere else too. If someone acts "holier than thou" than they are a "snob" and will "snub" others anyway regardless of topic. In my opinion its just bad character...period.

But as was mentioned in another post...i have found many areas of missouri quite open to differences in religion and beliefs. Agnostic or athiest does not roll well with some christians but i think "true" christians focus (at least should) on their own standing with god without judging.

Within any community, you will find a group of people that you blend well with...if extreme views of christianity bother you than i reckon you won't be hanging with them.
yeah what she said...

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-10-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,226,894 times
You will find snobs anywhere. I'm sure there are snobs in the church. There are also snobs in the workforce. There are snobs at school. There are snobs on the train.

snobbery is not something you can avoid entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or