U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here driven across the Highroad on Hwy 76 (going in either direction) the past three nights? There is an animal that was hit in the West bound land and I swear it was a WOLVERINE.

Now there are reports that wolverines have been seen in Missouri (in the Mark Twain Forest), and I cannot think of anything else it could possibly be. The majority of the fur is very dark brown but there is a part across the shoulders that is a very light tan color. The length of the fur is about four inches long.

At first I thought it might be a coyote, but the body fur is too dark brown. Also, it stunk as bad (or worse) than a skunk for two days (you can still smell it, three days later). When I looked on the internet, it said that the Wolverine is sometimes called a "Skunk Bear" because of the strong odor that it gives off.

Did anybody else see it? I want some validation that I am not going crazy. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:56 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Wink Road Kill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Has anyone here driven across the Highroad on Hwy 76 (going in either direction) the past three nights? There is an animal that was hit in the West bound land and I swear it was a WOLVERINE.

Now there are reports that wolverines have been seen in Missouri (in the Mark Twain Forest), and I cannot think of anything else it could possibly be. The majority of the fur is very dark brown but there is a part across the shoulders that is a very light tan color. The length of the fur is about four inches long.

At first I thought it might be a coyote, but the body fur is too dark brown. Also, it stunk as bad (or worse) than a skunk for two days (you can still smell it, three days later). When I looked on the internet, it said that the Wolverine is sometimes called a "Skunk Bear" because of the strong odor that it gives off.

Did anybody else see it? I want some validation that I am not going crazy. LOL

20yrsinBranson
20yrs...

I'll be happy to drive over there and see if I can find it, but for some reason I doubt anyone would take MY word about you NOT being crazy...

Let's gather the roadkill patrol!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 PM

33 posts, read 66,169 times
Call me curious.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
20yrs...

I'll be happy to drive over there and see if I can find it, but for some reason I doubt anyone would take MY word about you NOT being crazy...

Let's gather the roadkill patrol!

I called the Conservation Department in Jefferson City and spoke to a very nice lady there who is a Naturalist. She seems to be of the opinion that it was just a really, really big skunk. She said that there are a lot of color variations in skunks and that some can easily grow to 30 - 40 pounds (YOW!!!! ).

Driving by this morning, I took a good, long look and yeah, it could have been just a really HUGE-O skunk.

She did not even laugh at me once for asking. (Although I felt pretty silly after our conversation). LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-14-2009, 07:48 PM

33 posts, read 66,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I called the Conservation Department in Jefferson City and spoke to a very nice lady there who is a Naturalist. She seems to be of the opinion that it was just a really, really big skunk. She said that there are a lot of color variations in skunks and that some can easily grow to 30 - 40 pounds (YOW!!!! ).

Driving by this morning, I took a good, long look and yeah, it could have been just a really HUGE-O skunk.

She did not even laugh at me once for asking. (Although I felt pretty silly after our conversation). LOL

20yrsinBranson
I just googled 'color variations in skunks' because I had NEVER heard of such a thing. In fact, we just saw one on the way home tonight....it was the typical black and white....we also saw one on the same road last week...again, black and white. Here is the link that I was reading:
Dragoo's Skunk Page (http://www.dragoo.org/Intro.html - broken link)
Owners Of Pet Skunks: Fur Colors and Markings While it does briefly mention that they can be brown or red, those are ones that have been domestically raised. They mentioned something about a Badger....do you think this is what it could have been? American badger (Taxidea taxus): Distribution and habitat preferences (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:5jtwk-B83HgJ:www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpages/american-badger-06.html+Stink+badgers+%2B+pictures+%2B+missouri&cd =1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

I told my hubby what you saw and he said that even though you spoke with the woman in Jeff City, he would be more inclined to believe that it was a Wolverine before thinking that it was a odd colored 40 pound skunk.

Oh well....who knows....but it was interesting because I didn't know that Wolverines had now been spoted in Mark Twain.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:27 PM

974 posts, read 1,352,244 times
Out here in Reeds Spring on Y highway we see some pretty huge Skunks. I have seen them be off colored as well. I think it is more dirty fir than actual coloring though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or