U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 AM

418 posts, read 1,030,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
A word or two in defense of local Mexican eateries:

First, there is no such thing as "Mexican Food". There are a variety of styles of cooking in Mexico, and at the extremes the differences are so great as to have scarcely anything in common. Someone who has acquired a taste for Mexican at a particular restaurant or from a particular community may encounter an entirely different style at another restaurant and deride it as inauthentic. Think of the difference between New England and Maryland clam chowder. Or Alabama fried chicken and New Orleans fried chicken. Which is authentic? Both, of course.

Then there is the problem of ingredients. It is only recently that many ingredients used in Mexico have become available here at any price. And that is only canned, dried, or frozen items. Very few ingredients used in Mexico that need to be fresh are available here in anything like the optimal condition. So everybody adapts their cooking to what is available.

Finally there is the problem of continuity. Mexican Villa was opened by a man and his wife whose knowledge of "Mexican" food was what they had eaten down in Texas when he was in the military. They came back here and attempted to recreate what they remembered using what ingredients were available in Springfield, Mo., in the late 50s. People have gotten used to what they have; are they supposed to change their recipies now? To a certain extent this is true of places like Ceilito Lindo: it is entirely possible that their menu would be different if they opened today rather than 10 years ago (just speculating, of course).

Now, off to Peking House for some truly authentic Springfield Cashew Chicken.
Thank you for saying that! It's always funny to me when people move to a new place and get all het-up because they expect things to be the same everywhere.

I happen to love the enchilada sauce at Mexican Villa (frankly I think they go mad with cumin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 AM

974 posts, read 1,352,244 times
I can personally recommend Tequila's in Branson West. It is awesome.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Cool Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I can personally recommend Tequila's in Branson West. It is awesome.
I second that recommendation!

There's also a new twist in Branson West that claims to be "Sonoran Style" Mexican food, whatever that is......called Betos. Terrific breakfast burritos, something I haven't seen around here previously.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I second that recommendation!

There's also a new twist in Branson West that claims to be "Sonoran Style" Mexican food, whatever that is......called Betos. Terrific breakfast burritos, something I haven't seen around here previously.

Where is that located? I live outside of Reeds Spring on Y highway. I am always in Branson West and have not seen this new place. Thanks LJ

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM

429 posts, read 599,336 times
try La Hacienda

Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Where is that located? I live outside of Reeds Spring on Y highway. I am always in Branson West and have not seen this new place. Thanks LJ
It's on the old section of Hwy 13 (that got cut off ) between Danna's & where 13 joins the new section at Ace Hardware. Small place, easy to miss. And they're out of town until the 15th on some family biz, but definitely try it after that!

EVEN Mrs. Chilicook has given it her stamp of approval...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
It's on the old section of Hwy 13 (that got cut off ) between Danna's & where 13 joins the new section at Ace Hardware. Small place, easy to miss. And they're out of town until the 15th on some family biz, but definitely try it after that!

EVEN Mrs. Chilicook has given it her stamp of approval...

Gonna have to check that out Thanks for the heads up

Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 14,169 times
my favorite is Cielito Lindo on Campbell.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,427 times
Default Mexican food AZ style

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
Just moved here from AZ. The only thing I'm missing (besides a job) is good mexican food. Need help finding a mexican place in or around Springfield, MO. The first place we tryed was Mexican Villa.....THAT WAS BAD, really bad.

Well, I do agree that "Mexican" food is a regional thing...it's different in CA vs AZ vs New Mexico....even in New Mexico it's different between the north and the south. Then there is the Tex-Mex influence. However, I think if your from the south-west your looking for tasty flavorful (and a bit spicy) chorizo, rich deep flavored red sauces, and green sauces made with either chili's or tomatillos (I"m a green chili fan myself having spent a lot of time in No. New Mexico and can answer the Green/Red questions..can you say Christmas?).

I find, for myself, that most of the food served by Mexican style restaurants have perhaps a dish that is good (Cantina Loredo for example has great guac). I love Beto's out on the old hiway 13 in W. Branson (as mentioned in a couple of posts) for their chorizo and eggs. Their posole is good, but it is more like a beef soup than traditional (in my view) posole. They also have menudo from time to time but I haven't tried it yet.

The Buzz in Springfield has a passable Navajo Taco and something they call a sopapilla but is more like Indian fry bread...I (still good).

Mexican food, in my opinion again, is sort of mediocre around here but a dish can be found here and there if your willing to do some looking. I've found nopales, posole, good chorizo (and bad), but not horchata. There aren't a lot of "la te da" Mexican restaurants around here ....maybe Cantina Loredo...but you can find a dish here and there.

Oh yea, the folks who run the Mex. restaurant at the Saddlebrooke convenience store make fresh tamales...you have to make your own red sauce for them, but they aren't bad. I'm sure she would make them spicer if you ordered a batch.

Good luck....I"m sure in a few years this will be a moot subject as the patrons ask for better food and the restaurants begin to realize that they don't have to "regionalize" things as much as in the past.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,205,874 times
I LOVE Mexican Villa, the #1 thing I miss the most about Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area