U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Branson
6 posts, read 11,473 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscled1 View Post
So in conclusion, if someone ever tells you Mesa Arizona is a nice place...you have my blessing to kick the right in the nuts and walk on.
I grew up in Mesa and I totally hear what you are saying! One day (in Mesa) I was walking to my car to go to work and a young teenage boy pulled a knife out on me. I ran back into the house and he ran off, thank god. That was the final straw for me though. Back to the Ozarks (where I attended college). I'm here to stay and although it's not perfect I wouldn't be anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,294 posts, read 7,148,141 times
Reputation: 16384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
From that article:

Quote:
Butler said he was dissatisfied with the sheriff's department's handling of the harassment and frustrated with the deputies' inability to find Brown and arrest him on the warrants.
This does not surprise me at all. And also goes to show that you cannot rely solely on the cops to protect an individual. Not saying they don't want to or don't care, but there simply isn't enough manpower to be everywhere, all of the time. And the civilians need to take precautions and be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Reputation: 12719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Where we live we recently had the first break-in in the 30 year history of our small (212 homes) and somewhat isolated community. It occurred at night and we surmise it was a couple of teens or very young adults. They beat feet when the homeowner, who was awakened by their entry, got up and call out, "I'm going to shoot you!" He would have! Most of us homeowners here are hunters and shooters and most homes contain guns.
The "it was probably kids" mentality is a form of denial. Kids as young as 15 in Missouri have recently committed murder recently "just to see what it felt like".

Our society is slipping down the slippery slope extremely fast. Look how far downhill we have slid in just the past 60 yrs. . I think it is more than just the "bad economy". It reflects a complete lack of character, abandonment of personal responsibilty and disrespect for fellow human beings as well as life itself. We appeared to be a much more civilized society when sociopaths were brought to justice with decisive swiftness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Reputation: 28965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The "it was probably kids" mentality is a form of denial. Kids as young as 15 in Missouri have recently committed murder recently "just to see what it felt like".
I'm a former cop. No denial here. My best guess is that it was a family member (son, grandson, nephew, etc.) who knew what was in the house that could be stolen and sold or traded for drugs. But like I said, just a guess based upon the fact that there are a number of homes here that are only used for weekends and vacations. Those would be much easier pickings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Our society is slipping down the slippery slope extremely fast. Look how far downhill we have slid in just the past 60 yrs. . I think it is more than just the "bad economy". It reflects a complete lack of character, abandonment of personal responsibilty and disrespect for fellow human beings as well as life itself. We appeared to be a much more civilized society when sociopaths were brought to justice with decisive swiftness.
I agree whole-heartedly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: The City of St. Louis
938 posts, read 3,054,939 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Our society is slipping down the slippery slope extremely fast. Look how far downhill we have slid in just the past 60 yrs. . I think it is more than just the "bad economy". It reflects a complete lack of character, abandonment of personal responsibilty and disrespect for fellow human beings as well as life itself. We appeared to be a much more civilized society when sociopaths were brought to justice with decisive swiftness.
I respectfully disagree. 60 years ago was just a few years after we liberated Europe form a dictator whose legions systematically murdered 6 million people (about the population of Missouri). I would say a lack of respect for human life is nothing new. Human society has always had a dark and bloody side, which is easily illustrated through even a minor knowledge of world and American history or by reading some of the Bible.

60 years ago it was still legal to segregate public schools, buses, and restaurants by race. Those sure sound like the "good old days" to me.

Is our society really any worse off than it was 60 years ago? Or are we just victims of a increasingly negative media with a "it-bleeds-it-leads" mentality, which lets the whole world know when something negative and/or violent occurs?

Last edited by OA 5599; 11-20-2009 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Reputation: 28965
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I respectfully disagree. 60 years ago was just a few years after we liberated Europe form a dictator whose legions systematically murdered 6 million people (about the population of Missouri). I would say a lack of respect for human life is nothing new. Human society has always had a dark and bloody side, which is easily illustrated through even a minor knowledge of world and American history or by reading some of the Bible.

60 years ago it was still legal to segregate public schools, buses, and restaurants by race. Those sure sound like the "good old days" to me.

Is our society really any worse off than it was 60 years ago? Or are we just victims of a increasingly negative media with a "it-bleeds-it-leads" mentality, which lets the whole world know when something negative and/or violent occurs?
Yes, those things happened. They're regrettable and we've made some large strides since as a country but not necessarily as a species. Think the killing fields, continuous wars, suicide bombers, etc.

A lot of the knowledge has to do with not just the media but the availability of information via the digital age.

As for this country, I've been around for more than those 60 years and in my opinion, our U.S. society has become increasingly uninformed, uneducated, uncivil and unpleasant.

As always, just one (old) man's opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis City
1,563 posts, read 3,204,227 times
Reputation: 629
Crime seems to be up everywhere, even the small town I grew up in. I read an article that said we were actually living in the most peaceful time since the history of mankind. I wish I could find it again, it was a very interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: The City of St. Louis
938 posts, read 3,054,939 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, those things happened. They're regrettable and we've made some large strides since as a country but not necessarily as a species. Think the killing fields, continuous wars, suicide bombers, etc.

A lot of the knowledge has to do with not just the media but the availability of information via the digital age.

As for this country, I've been around for more than those 60 years and in my opinion, our U.S. society has become increasingly uninformed, uneducated, uncivil and unpleasant.

As always, just one (old) man's opinion!
I completely agree...as a species, we are no further ahead then we were at any time in history. As a country we have certainly come a long way, but we are still a long ways from "there", regardless of what one thinks "there" may be.

I haven't been around for most of the last 60 years, but you very well could be right. I know a fair number of uniformed, uneducated, uncivil, and unpleasant people, but I also know many who are none of those things. Time will tell where we end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,352,332 times
Reputation: 6183
I wonder if these home invasions were looked a little closer at, if you would find that it's druggies busting iinto a dealers house, rival dealers, gangbangers, someone who knows these folks, etc etc
I imagine that Joe American Citizen doesn't really have to worry about it very much.......
..............Thanks to dogs and the 2nd amendment...........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 AM
 
570 posts, read 1,364,176 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I wonder if these home invasions were looked a little closer at, if you would find that it's druggies busting iinto a dealers house, rival dealers, gangbangers, someone who knows these folks, etc etc
I imagine that Joe American Citizen doesn't really have to worry about it very much.......
..............Thanks to dogs and the 2nd amendment...........................
I am sure that's true sometimes but not always.
Drugs or not I don't no how they pull off home invasions so often without getting taken out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top