U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 AM

158 posts, read 312,740 times

Advertisements

MrsG - I hope you do apply. Sounds like you would be able to do the job in your sleep.

I worked in a support position for a major airlines several years ago and we had a trouble reporting / ticketing system that would automatically escalate to the next "level" after a certain amount of time had passed. My group was the end of the line, so to speak. If we couldn't fix something we called the engineers at the vendors that provided the equipment! I thought the concept was good because it meant no problem spent too long in one department. (Great customer service tip)

There was no shame in not being able to solve a particularly hard problem, no one was expected to have all the answers. The goal was / should be continuous improvement, not cover up your deficiencies. Good luck. Let me know what you decide. :-)

FYI - no I was not in Springfield during the SunRocket days. Some of my co-workers spoke fondly of those days though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times
I just wanted to say thank you for posting the job. I will be moving to SPF in a month or so and am starting to get a feel for jobs there. Being a geek/techie, and a previous CSR I was thinking about finding something just to tide me over for a while, and this may fit the bill.

Customer service these days is one of those gigs that you really just have to have a certain personality for anyway.

I also know that EVERY call center is basically the same. There are always politics and if you have good work ethics throw them out the window because it isn't what you know, it's WHO you know..>LOL.

Actually this is in all corporate environments. It doesn't change, just changes players.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM

792 posts, read 1,633,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfTheOzarks View Post
MrsG - I hope you do apply. Sounds like you would be able to do the job in your sleep.
GOTO,

Mrs. G. would be THE BEST thing that ever happened to Tele Tech!!! Hands down!

Mrs. G,

Good Luck in whatever you decide. I wish you all the luck. I know you'll kick bu** if you get the job! Please let us know what happens.

Rootin' for ya,
Boof

Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 AM

Hi again all - as long as this thread is still alive thought I would add a bit more to it. It's not that I would ever discourage anyone from applying at TeleTech but some other interesting opportunities have popped up recently. Expedia recently held a hiring open house and a couple of my friends went to work there - they seem to like it. Today Expedia announced another 500 jobs, will start hiring for those immediately and are hoping to fill all positions by the end of September. Here's the link from the News-Leader article.
Expedia hiring for up to 500 new jobs | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Location: Great Falls, MT for now...but soon Springfield, MO.
5 posts, read 10,230 times
GOTO,

I am a member of the Air Force about to step out and into the civilian world after 12 years of honorable military service. I was wondering about the TeleTech jobs as well. I have already applied online at HirePoint and spoken with a Talent Research Team Member (both online / telephonically) and was wondering how I should present myself? I have a three-piece suit or Button-up / Tie with Slacks. I do want to put my best foot forward but then again, overdressing for the event can close off the employer or seal the deal. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Gosimer; 02-03-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,214,125 times
Welcome to C-D Forum, Gosimer! I'm kind of surprised to see that no one has responded, yet. I can't say why but it is kind of scary to answer if you don't know for sure. I don't work there now but I have worked in another call center that was in that same location a few years ago.

My experience then was that call centers are quite casual and I have heard that a lot of young people work there so I would recommend the button up shirt with slacks and maybe even leave the tie at home. That last part is up to you. You might want to go watch people arriving for work or leaving sometime if you are still unsure.

I think it sort of depends on what type of job you're looking for. If you are hoping for advancement, dress on a level above the others but whatever you do, don't wear that three-piece suit!!! That would be serious overkill for most places in Springfield!

Call centers hire people who deal with people audibly so they don't have to present themselves professionally in person. There is a dress code but people didn't always follow it. I do recall that blue jeans weren't recommended at the call center that was there before...but haven't a clue what their rules are now. They will probably have a computer aptitude test, too. That will help them place you in the best position. Don't worry, you will also go through some training. They don't expect you to know how to do what they do...just have an aptitude for it.

So, are you planning on applying at Expedia, too?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Ma'am,

I understand. I'm thinking of applying for Training Department since that is where my highest skill set is in. But, I do have backgrounds in Training, Communications and Networking, Leadership and Team Building, Science (Meteorology), Science (Simple Criminology), and Customer Service / Public Speaking. There are a few other mundane skills that TeleTech won't really find use for. I was thinking a pressed shirt and slacks with a tie would be ideal, just wanted to see if anyone had some insight...and you were there for me. Expedia doesn't seemto have much use for a lot of the skill sets I possess, but I will keep it in mind. Computer aptitude tests are quite funny, since I rebuild them and reformat the hard drives as a hobby. I'm really looking forward to this, thank you very much for your time and I appreciate all your help on this matter.

Gosimer

Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Ma'am,

I understand. I'm thinking of applying for Training Department since that is where my highest skill set is in. But, I do have backgrounds in Training, Communications and Networking, Leadership and Team Building, Science (Meteorology), Science (Simple Criminology), and Customer Service / Public Speaking. There are a few other mundane skills that TeleTech won't really find use for. I was thinking a pressed shirt and slacks with a tie would be ideal, just wanted to see if anyone had some insight...and you were there for me. Expedia doesn't seemto have much use for a lot of the skill sets I possess, but I will keep it in mind. Computer aptitude tests are quite funny, since I rebuild them and reformat the hard drives as a hobby. I'm really looking forward to this, thank you very much for your time and I appreciate all your help on this matter.

Gosimer

Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Default TeleTech Applicant

First - don't watch the folks in the parking lot this week for ideas on how to dress for an interview! When the weather turns bad we relax the dress code considerably and call it a foul weather dress-down day (or something like that).

Being in training requires that you know the work environment quite well and although they will certainly consider you for training without having worked the "floor jobs" first if you have top of your class skills or hard to find experience, I would like to suggest that you definitely present the training department as your goal but also indicate some flexibility (assuming you are flexible) and willingness to take another job first.

The tech jobs require technical aptitude, willingness to learn and good customer service skills more than lots of experience. Without a doubt experience helps but, well, I've seen more than one person come in claiming to have lots of "experience" only to find they have more "bravado" than knowledge, don't want to follow the training we provide, and end up fighting the system rather than letting it work for them.

I don't care what job a person is applying for, insulting the interviewer by showing up in shorts and a t-shirt loses lots of points for the job candidate. Having said that, we occasionally have summer dress-down days at TeleTech so your interviewer might be dressed in shorts and a t-shirt! The folks that do the interviewing don't always get to choose when they do them - and we get surprised once in a while.

If you're insulted by showing up in a suit and tie and getting interviewed by a guy in shorts and a t-shirt then you might want to consider another company to work for. But if you want an opportunity to learn a lot about technology, have opportunity for advancement, meet a lot of people in a hurry (friends, industry contacts, references for that next job, etc) and work in an air-conditioned office as opposed to being outside in the hot summer heat or freezing winter conditions then you should consider TeleTech.

We also have several other locations besides Springfield (some international) so relocating to another city or travel for the job can also be an option if you're interested.

I probably sound like I work in HR but I don't. I've been at TeleTech almost three years and while I can't say it's the best job I've ever had it has been a good place to work, the benefits are good, the people are great, and when I do eventually move on it will be on good terms and I will continue to speak positively about the place if anyone asks.

So - guess I rambled on a bit, but if you wear a suit to the interview at TeleTech they don't take away points for that. TeleTech is a professional workplace and everyone definitely appreciates it when you know that in advance and show up with a professional attitude. If you show up in pressed slacks, a dress shirt and tie (with no jacket) that will be ok too.

Jeans and a t-shirt? Well, most of the people at TeleTech have a pretty good sense of humor so if you can make them laugh after showing up for an interview in blue jeans, then you might still have a shot!

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 AM

GOTO,

This is some excellent insight and really invigorating to have this chance to look deep into the place that I'm about to apply for. The best thing about TeleTech and the sole reason it is my #1 choice is that HirePoint's opening statement said career instead of job. A job, to me, is something that you do not want to take very far and is only a stepping stone to a higher path. After working with the military, their so-called "careers" are a little farfetched as I joined to defend the freedom of others...not to play political games. You mention "bravado" and I concur that a low-skill with a high ego can land someone in a bind. My skills are documented and sound when it comes to streamlining training and upkeep of records. Not saying I'm the best, but I want to be there one day after tempering and improving on the skills that I already possess. If I show up with pressed shirt and slacks with tie and be interviewed by authority in shirt and shorts, that will actually put me at ease. I believe I will be applying at TeleTech when my orders come down. Can't wait to meet your family there in Springfield, MO. Thank you very much for the information and especially for your time.

Gosimer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area