Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 22,723 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a job in Branson, but my initial research shows that Springfield might be a better place for us to settle. Any suggestions on where exactly we should look? We will be renting due to the potentially temporary nature of his work. It looks like Ozark is a good halfway point, but we don't want to be in a rural area. How far of a drive is it to Branson if we settle in S. Springfield? Is there typically a lot of traffic on 65?
I've got a lot of questions, huh?! I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
"Rural" is a very relative term, so it would be helpful if you gave some info about the type of area you are looking for and what you consider rural to mean.

In any event, Ozark is not rural by most standards. For the most part, Ozark and Nixa feel like extended parts of Springfield and it's often difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins. There are places within both Ozark and Nixa where one can feel "rural" but still be within minutes of town, subdivisions on postage stamp sized lots that feel like every other part of suburbia in America and everything in between.

If you decide that Branson isn't quite right for you, it sounds like Ozark and Nixa would be good options. Your husband will enjoy the shorter commute to Branson than he'd have from Springfield and I don't think you'd give up much by living in either place.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 22,723 times
Thanks much--Here's a woman's definition of "rural": I don't want to have to drive an hour to get to the closest Target. It sounds like Ozark or Nixa will be perfect. Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliekay View Post
Thanks much--Here's a woman's definition of "rural": I don't want to have to drive an hour to get to the closest Target. It sounds like Ozark or Nixa will be perfect. Thanks again!
You can get to Target in less than thirty minutes from either place.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
You can get to Target in less than thirty minutes from either place.
I can get to Target in 30 minutes from our decidedly rural home on the lake and to Branson in the same amount of time.

Admittedly, it's 18 miles to the nearest grocery store, however.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
There actually IS a Target in Branson.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Default Ahem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
There actually IS a Target in Branson.
Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, nearby Lowe's, T.J. Maxx, Pet Co., Michaels, factory outlets and much, much more!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Q's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliekay View Post
My husband is taking a job in Branson, but my initial research shows that Springfield might be a better place for us to settle. Any suggestions on where exactly we should look? We will be renting due to the potentially temporary nature of his work. It looks like Ozark is a good halfway point, but we don't want to be in a rural area. How far of a drive is it to Branson if we settle in S. Springfield? Is there typically a lot of traffic on 65?
I've got a lot of questions, huh?! I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks much!
Q: If you're just renting, why not live in the same community as the job? What is it about Springfield that makes you think it would be a better place to settle? There are so many misconceptions about the area as a whole that I'd be interested in more detail...if you're up for it...I just think that giving up an hour to an hour and a half of every day's free time to drive to the job might not be worth it if you can find what you're looking for closer.

It's not that much traffic, but it's one of the hilliest stretches of highway in the nation.

(Is hilliest a word?)

Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
It's not that much traffic, but it's one of the hilliest stretches of highway in the nation.

(Is hilliest a word?)
Well, it is now!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 PM

158 posts, read 376,116 times
Default Hilly and windy - not much fun to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Q: If you're just renting, why not live in the same community as the job? What is it about Springfield that makes you think it would be a better place to settle? There are so many misconceptions about the area as a whole that I'd be interested in more detail...if you're up for it...I just think that giving up an hour to an hour and a half of every day's free time to drive to the job might not be worth it if you can find what you're looking for closer.

(Is hilliest a word?)

hilliest -- I think you got it just right! I like Branson and thought about making that drive when I first moved to the area but after a few trips to Branson decided against it. Making that trip twice a day would be very hard on the vehicle, not to mention time-consuming and expensive (burn a lot of gas on those hills).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area