U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I think your kids would like Denver better and fit in better there than anywhere in Missouri.
That's our welcome wagon!

Denver has all of the options and negatives of any big city...some of my best friends live in a suburb south of Denver and absolutely love it.

On the other hand, there are many folks who have moved down here (Springfield Area) from parts west and absolutely love the Missouri culture. You might DM Mrs. Chilicook...she moved to the Branson area from Las Vegas 3 years ago and would be happy to give you some comparisons.

All of your wish list looks great for Southwest Missouri except perhaps the job issue...within your specialties you'll want to check that out. It isn't the easiest place to make a living according to many.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 16,030 times
Default so confused :1

I am not sure about where my kids would fit because they are city kids but they have a speckle of redneck about them to put it nicely and they do enjoy going to Irondale to visit family and usually want to stay and play/fish at the lakes and at elephant rock for longer than the usual 2 weeks. I will check into springfield, st. charles, and denver alot better before much longer and try to get some clarity. I do not want to live in St. louis or a suburb that is just an extension (didnt like it during childhood visits) and the airport trips back to parents home has cured me of that city.
Thanks everyone for your advise

Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftinmomx3 View Post
I am not sure about where my kids would fit because they are city kids but they have a speckle of redneck about them to put it nicely and they do enjoy going to Irondale to visit family and usually want to stay and play/fish at the lakes and at elephant rock for longer than the usual 2 weeks. I will check into springfield, st. charles, and denver alot better before much longer and try to get some clarity. I do not want to live in St. louis or a suburb that is just an extension (didnt like it during childhood visits) and the airport trips back to parents home has cured me of that city.
Thanks everyone for your advise
Perhaps I can help a little bit. I grew up in a small town north of St. Louis and have family that lives in St. Louis now. I also spent a bit of time living in Castle Rock, CO and now live outside of Springfield. I'm certainly not an expert about Denver, but familiar enough with the area to form some opinions.

Springfield, MO feels like a big "small town" instead of a city of 150,000+ people. It will certainly be the least metropolitan area on your list and the least expensive place to live. With that said, Springfield is also going to lack some of the attractions that Denver and St. Louis have to offer. You're not going to have the same restaurants, shopping, sports, concerts, etc that large metro areas have to offer. Some people like that and others don't, so it's completely up to you.

In my opinion, Denver has the best weather of any area on your list. You get all four seasons but not nearly as much of the heat/humidity combo that we get in MO. You get more snow in Denver, but it's not likely to stick around for long periods of time. Usually, it snows and then everything goes away after a few days, much like MO. Denver also has better outdoor recreational opportunities, with Springfield coming in a close second. I say that Denver is better because of the diversity of options. Springfield offers easier access, in my opinion.

You're already pretty familiar with St. Louis, so there's not much need to touch on that area. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post

In my opinion, Denver has the best weather of any area on your list. You get all four seasons but not nearly as much of the heat/humidity combo that we get in MO. You get more snow in Denver, but it's not likely to stick around for long periods of time. Usually, it snows and then everything goes away after a few days, much like MO. Denver also has better outdoor recreational opportunities, with Springfield coming in a close second. I say that Denver is better because of the diversity of options. Springfield offers easier access, in my opinion.
That was the point I was trying to make for the OP to make the right choice for the kids, but you said it much better. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,427 times
Default Las Vegas vs....

Hi. As my DM indicated, I moved here, three years ago, from Las Vegas. I am originally from the Bay Area (Pleasanton...native Cali). There are pro's and con's to all of your choices. I haven't lived in Denver, but I've spent alot of time in the general area and I lived in the St. Louis area for 3 years earlier in my life. Denver and St. Charles (I agree with Snake...it's an extension of St. Louis in the sense that Henderson is an extension of Las Vegas). They are metropolitan areas with the same pro's and con's as other big cities. In Denver you have the altitude, in St. Charles the humidity. Both have winter, but it just depends on what/how much winter you want. Denver is probably more progressive and my guess is a better job outlook although you didn't say what experience you have behind you in addition to the new BA.

Springfield is a mid-size city that seems pretty small town in many ways. It has all of the basics, plus some. There is no lack of outdoor activities in the general area for the kids. If your into baseball, the Springfield Cardinals (Baby St. Louis Cardinals), have a GREAT sports fields at Hammons Field. There is also a vibrant art scene, lots of health care facilities, and more restaurants per capita than most cities (although the quality isn't the same as Las Vegas). Near-by is Branson which has shows that are actually pretty good nowadays (they used to be sort of hokey playing on the hill-billy theme).

Farmington..interesting choice since it's pop. is about 15,000 and sort of in the middle of no where in respect to a large city. Any reason why you chose this town?

I would really visit all of your choices and do alot of homework/research before making any move. And have a job first in this economy unless you have the luxury of not working for a year or more.

But out of your list, I would say that the employement scene here is probably your biggest issue. The rest of the criteria are pretty much met. But we do have humidity. I have to say though, that after the heat and dryness of Las Vegas it's not so bad. After Las Vegas it's NOT that hot and the humidity actually feels better than drying up like a prune and owning stock in Jergins..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area