U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM

10 posts, read 16,030 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating to a new state, we have had enough of Vegas and its craziness. We have looked into 5 general areas/cities- Flagstaff-AZ, Denver-CO, OKC-OK, and Springfield or Farmington-MO . I have a college student and two junior high students who are both very active in their scout programs and we all enjoy the outdoors and visiting places with nice people to mingle with- here in Sin City most people off the strip are too much and we need to find a new home before our kids get corrupted any worse. I have a newly acquired BA in Human services and my husband is a non union Woodworker, we may be looking to open another shop once relocated.
Any and all help would be great- Thanks now for advice and honesty
Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times
There are a lot of differences between the places you have given as options. Maybe you can be more specific in what you want. Climate, activities, scenery?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,609,950 times
Missouri is great to get away from Vegas craziness...I moved to St. Charles County from Sunrise Mountain in 2008--right before the bottom fell out in Vegas! I live in the St. Louis area and love it. It's very kid friendly out here.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM

We are open at this point to almost any location as long as it doesnt have months of heavy of ice and snow or the heat like we currently have- I want a good place to raise my kids, give them a place to be grounded and to be able to go to scouts or 4h stuff and still be able to camp, hike, hunt, fish and canoe within an hour drive or so, I want better schools and neighborhoods that are actual neighborhoods because here in Vegas its not a place to hang out on the street with the neighbors, heck we have lived in this house for almost 10 yrs and I dont know but 3 of my neighbors and no one has moved in or out of our area. I want a great working environment and nicer people. I am not looking for a perfect place just a good city, driving places within a 20 minute time frame, friends, a good church, good Dr.s and ability to have a good job.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,609,950 times
You should look at St. Charles County then! We have all of that except that it's 14 degrees right now, probably 40 degrees colder than Vegas!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Default how small or big are we talking

St. Charles- is it at least a bigger small city type area, it sounds small city living- could you compare it to pahrump or henderson or what? - I need a walmart or target at least- I will be doing a search in a minute- Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,640,085 times
Based on your posts, and of those original 5 choices listed, I'd recommend Springfield.

However, w/ that said, I much agree w/ photobuff42's suggestion regarding the greater St. Chuck area.

Check out these for some info:
http://www.historicstcharles.com/visitors.aspx
http://www.sccmo.org/Home/
http://www.greatriverroad.com/stchar...harleshome.htm
http://www.stlrcga.org/x407.xml

Best to yas... good luck.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftinmomx3 View Post
St. Charles- is it at least a bigger small city type area, it sounds small city living- could you compare it to pahrump or henderson or what? - I need a walmart or target at least- I will be doing a search in a minute- Thanks
I think that St. Charles is a lot more of a "city" than you perceive it to be. It's certainly more "city" than Springfield or Farmington and is really just an extention of St. Louis in my opinion.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,387 times
I have lived coast to coast; moved to St. Charles when I was 15 and lived there most of my adult life (Including Webster Groves in St. Louis) and love it very much. To me, it's a larger city (not too large) and has a lot to offer and do. However, I love Springfield too (Where I currently live) which offers a lot as well. However, if I were to choose, I believe I would choose Springfield. Both cities you have a Wal Mart and Target

Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
I think your kids would like Denver better and fit in better there than anywhere in Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area