U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 AM

549 posts, read 819,821 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if in the city of Springfield you need a permit to replace a furnace and if it has to be inspected once it has been put in. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM

794 posts, read 1,493,653 times
Yes, and yes.

Do people do it without a permit? All the time.

It was about a month ago now that a man blew up half his neighborhood trying to install a water heater himself. The gas explosion totally destroyed his and at least two other houses, with major damage to several more.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:30 PM

549 posts, read 819,821 times
Well yes I remember that...we live in a rental house and the furnace quit working yesterday. Yay for us waking up to a very cold house. I called the rental company and they tried to tell me it was normal since it was so cold out. Anyway they sent someone out but I ended up calling the 3x since each time it quit working. They finally decided it needed to be replaced which they did today. But I question the guy who did it. He just seems weird and besides the very first time the furnace quit working 2 months ago my husband had it figured out in about 30 minutes and when this guy came he was here for a couple of hours before going to get a part. Two days later it quit working again and someone else came out. Then it worked up until Friday when the heat exchanger quit working. I also question if they did it legally. i am sure it is fine but it would be nice to have it inspected just to know for sure. I don't want my house blowing up or anything. LOL!!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,653 times
Repairs must be made by licenced repairman but need not be under a permit. Some repair people have a fairly broad interpretation of the concept of "repairs", which in their mind may include actual replacement of the unit; especially if it is the same btu capacity.

I could be wrong about this, but enforcement of this sort of thing seems deliberately lax. Either no one has time to deal with enforcement issues, or possibly the building department simply does not want to be bothered.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,502 times
An individual working in Springfield must have a Masters License, or a the employer must have a license holder for the company. Outside of the city sphere of influence anyone can do repair work (there are exceptions but I'm trying to keep this short).

Permits and inpections are required for install jobs yet it seems the definition of install is up for interpretation depending who you ask. Also Arrby is correct there seems to be a deliberate lack of enforcement in the area for permits. I hear it is due to a lack of inspectors, but I do not know the real reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or