U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 PM

16 posts, read 15,210 times

Advertisements

I found a recently published novel on Kindle set in Rockaway. It contains a lot of history with an entertaining story and a lot of pictures. Here is the link: Amazon.com: FOR HORSES RUNNING eBook: DAN LEE, MARY DEAN: Kindle Store
It is $4 and I downloaded it to my pc. It is quite a story that I believe I will read again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,086,443 times
Back in the very early 80s before Branson became a major tourist destination I lived near Springfield. We would take the dog and go to Rockaway in the fall with a loaf of bread and feed the birds. It was a pleasant Sunday drive and the beach as filled with duck and geese.

The goose eyeballed the car because he knew the dog was in it. The dog eyeballed the goose*because it was tall and he chased birds to watch them fly. Even though he was taller than, and heavier than the goose it would have been a lousy match for the dog.

It was fun to watch these two. The goose didn't come to the car, and dog didn't escape. No harm was done.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,455 times
Default rockaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post
When I was a kid, my grandparents used to own some cottages in Rockaway Beach, so we would go every summer and spend time there (as well as in Forsyth and Branson). A few years ago, my mom and I went on vacation to Branson and I mentioned my desire to visit Rockaway Beach and my mom refused to take me there, saying: "It would ruin all your childhood memories.".

My husband and I are debating a move to the Branson area in the near future, and I'm just wondering, is Rockaway Beach that bad? I'd love to go visit, and I would consider living there (I loved it so much when I was a kid!) if it weren't for my mom's words. Thoughts?

Bec

I love Rockaway and have lived here for yrs. It is just like anywhere else. We have great fishing and kayaking here. People love to see the fireworks here. We have loving church families here and it is just the right distance from Branson. We also now have a new dollar store...lol

Old 12-02-2015, 09:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,905,589 times
Me and my wife went to Forsyth and would much rather stay in that area instead of Branson.

brushrunner

Old 12-03-2015, 03:56 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,852,373 times
Since this is an older thread, will someone please update on what it's like in Rockaway now? Has it been cleaned up and has it changed for the good?

Old 12-04-2015, 07:45 PM

622 posts, read 894,822 times
No. It has continued to go downhill.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
No. It has continued to go downhill.
What would be a good area to live outside Branson in your opinion? I just don't want to mess with a lot of traffic to grocery shop or whatever inside Branson. We've been to Branson and love it but would like it outside the city, close to a lake. Nothing overly expensive. I saw a few condos in Branson West. We just want a simple life where our expenses are low.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 750 times
Good question! My wife and I are strongly considering retiring to Branson but are not real familiar with such places you mention to live. The area is beautiful and Table Rock fishing has me intrigued. We will start making scouting trips soon and would like to know the best areas to focus on.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:29 PM

622 posts, read 894,822 times
I will suggest a handful of town for y'all to think about. Firstly Kimberling city. Kimberling city is basically a retirement town. There are lots of snowbirds living there. It is pretty quiet and located on table rock lake. Branson west is a small town with a mixture of people. You have some retirees and also families living there. Reeds spring is an older town with more actual locals. Its quaint and most everybody knows everybody. Blue eye is right on the arkansas missouri state line. It is a small town with half of it lying in Arkansas and the other half in Missouri. Mixture of retirees and hillbillies. The retirees live near the lake. All those towns I listed are in stone county which is part of the Branson metro. Now ill go into taney county towns! Hollister-not as well to do as branson. Generally lower income working town. Kirbyville-nice area but sketchy depending on where you are. Not many retirees there. Forsyth-County seat of taney county. Normal town. Not a bad town it sorta has its own identity since its about 30 mins from branson. Bull creek village-poor mainly all trailers. Bad drug problems. Merriam woods-poor trailer drugs. Rockaway beach-poverty government assistance drugs....good pizza restaurant. Omaha arkansas about 15-20 mins from branson. Nice little town to look into. These are very broad generalizations. Sorry if I offend anyone but people that have lived here their whole lives would generally agree with my assessment.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I will suggest a handful of town for y'all to think about. Firstly Kimberling city. Kimberling city is basically a retirement town. There are lots of snowbirds living there. It is pretty quiet and located on table rock lake. Branson west is a small town with a mixture of people. You have some retirees and also families living there. Reeds spring is an older town with more actual locals. Its quaint and most everybody knows everybody. Blue eye is right on the arkansas missouri state line. It is a small town with half of it lying in Arkansas and the other half in Missouri. Mixture of retirees and hillbillies. The retirees live near the lake. All those towns I listed are in stone county which is part of the Branson metro. Now ill go into taney county towns! Hollister-not as well to do as branson. Generally lower income working town. Kirbyville-nice area but sketchy depending on where you are. Not many retirees there. Forsyth-County seat of taney county. Normal town. Not a bad town it sorta has its own identity since its about 30 mins from branson. Bull creek village-poor mainly all trailers. Bad drug problems. Merriam woods-poor trailer drugs. Rockaway beach-poverty government assistance drugs....good pizza restaurant. Omaha arkansas about 15-20 mins from branson. Nice little town to look into. These are very broad generalizations. Sorry if I offend anyone but people that have lived here their whole lives would generally agree with my assessment.
I appreciate you answering. No one else seemed to have any information. I'll check out Omaha too. Haven't checked that one yet. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area