Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,887 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Springfield all 21 years of my short life, and know how many churches this town has. As someone who recently made the decision to give my heart and life to Jesus Christ, it can be overwhelming to search for a church.

So does anyone have any suggestions on the south side of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Jay, perhaps you could tell us a bit about what you're looking for in a church? Some people like quaint churches with traditional pews and smaller congregations. Others like a vibrant atmosphere with a great music program. As you have already pointed out, there are many choices in the Springfield area. Knowing a bit more about what you're looking for would help people to offer insightful suggestions.

For what it's worth, I am very pleased with South Gate Church (on Campbell, south of Plainview Rd).

PS - Congratulations on your decision to give your life to Christ.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,887 times
No real preference. The whole concept of attending church is new to me. So I'm open to churches big and small, and checking out a few and seeing which sticks for me.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Come to South Gate and see what you think. There are two services on Sunday mornings to choose from (9 am and 10:30 am) and a wide range of Sunday School groups (some meet at 9 am and others at 10:30 am) if you would like to check them out as well.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 PM

44 posts, read 151,478 times
Well Jay, I hope you truly understand just what the gospel is, including who Jesus is, what he did, who you are, and what you deserve. And hopefully you have repented of your sins and your enmity with God and have truly been born again and washed clean in the blood of Jesus, and are ready to sacrifice and deny yourself to allow the Holy Spirit to transform you and conform you to the holiness of Christ.

Be sure that you are serious. Do you think you can finish and endure to the end? Are you ready for an ongoing war with society (the world)? It's not about making a few modifications in your life and performing some weekly rituals, it's about presenting your body a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God.

If you want to find THE church, then seek out the true believers who ARE the church. All these fancy buildings around here are just that, not churches. The building itself is the first red flag. If you want to learn about Phariseeism and hypocrisy, then attend one of these social clubs. If you're serious, then expect these folks to be your worst enemies.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayW88 View Post
I've lived in Springfield all 21 years of my short life, and know how many churches this town has. As someone who recently made the decision to give my heart and life to Jesus Christ, it can be overwhelming to search for a church.

So does anyone have any suggestions on the south side of town?
My only suggestion is to seek a place that worships, adores and praises Jesus Christ.

Whether the congregation is large or small, whether the praise team plays gospel rock or Christian country, whether it even has a praise team or just sings out of the hymnal are all secondary considerations.

The key is what the preacher says and what the congregation believes about Jesus and how they express their love for him through ministry, missions and service.

That's my opinion. Others my differ.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeVeryWise View Post
If you want to find THE church, then seek out the true believers who ARE the church. All these fancy buildings around here are just that, not churches. The building itself is the first red flag. If you want to learn about Phariseeism and hypocrisy, then attend one of these social clubs. If you're serious, then expect these folks to be your worst enemies.
My, we're painting with broad stokes. Claiming that churches you have never attended are the worst enemies is beyond ridiculous. You don't know what the OP is seeking in his Christian walk and you certainly don't know what goes on in each of the churches in this area. Perhaps you could attempt to support new Christians like Jay with their wishes instead of projecting your own beliefs onto them.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default You have the idea already

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayW88 View Post
No real preference. The whole concept of attending church is new to me. So I'm open to churches big and small, and checking out a few and seeing which sticks for me.

I think you kind of already know your direction...open to big, small, etc..
You have the right idea by checking out a few and see which sticks. It's a great idea.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 AM

57 posts, read 165,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeVeryWise View Post
Well Jay, I hope you truly understand just what the gospel is, including who Jesus is, what he did, who you are, and what you deserve. And hopefully you have repented of your sins and your enmity with God and have truly been born again and washed clean in the blood of Jesus, and are ready to sacrifice and deny yourself to allow the Holy Spirit to transform you and conform you to the holiness of Christ.

Be sure that you are serious. Do you think you can finish and endure to the end? Are you ready for an ongoing war with society (the world)? It's not about making a few modifications in your life and performing some weekly rituals, it's about presenting your body a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God.

Seriously, It's posts like these that chase people away from Christianity.

The first thing I'd suggest is the look at the various denominations and see which you agree with more. Baptist and Assembly of God are the most popular in this area. Although, there are many great non-denominational churches as well.

We currently attend Ridgecrest Baptist, which is in SW Springfield and like it.
Ridgecrest Baptist Church

You have to weigh in everything.

Small vs Mega Church
How involved you wish to be.

I've been to both small and large churches and they both have their pluses and minuses.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 PM

44 posts, read 151,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
My, we're painting with broad stokes. Claiming that churches you have never attended are the worst enemies is beyond ridiculous. You don't know what the OP is seeking in his Christian walk and you certainly don't know what goes on in each of the churches in this area. Perhaps you could attempt to support new Christians like Jay with their wishes instead of projecting your own beliefs onto them.
I said social clubs. Read carefully please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area