U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 AM

5 posts, read 10,215 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy that's really prideful of where Im from, the great( but overly crowded,expensive, crime-ridden) city of Miami. I have been going back and forth between here and Branson visiting my now fiancé who performs in a show there and I've actually learned to love the differences. So I'm thinking long and hard about leaving this great city, with all it's positives and negatives for the friendly (sometimes boring) city of Branson. I love how cheap it is there and people are quite friendly as oppose to Miami( where I have to always have to legally carry a concealed weapon, as crime has risen here. Anyways I'm hoping I won't regret it and make some new friends but most importantly I hope to find a job and a spot to call home. I'll be there in April and if anyone wants to meet for lunch at the Greatwall buffet in Branson (my favorite place) stop by and join me. Oh if anyone knows of any job openings anywhere let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,030,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamisFynest View Post
I'm a guy that's really prideful of where Im from, the great( but overly crowded,expensive, crime-ridden) city of Miami. I have been going back and forth between here and Branson visiting my now fiancé who performs in a show there and I've actually learned to love the differences. So I'm thinking long and hard about leaving this great city, with all it's positives and negatives for the friendly (sometimes boring) city of Branson. I love how cheap it is there and people are quite friendly as oppose to Miami( where I have to always have to legally carry a concealed weapon, as crime has risen here. Anyways I'm hoping I won't regret it and make some new friends but most importantly I hope to find a job and a spot to call home. I'll be there in April and if anyone wants to meet for lunch at the Greatwall buffet in Branson (my favorite place) stop by and join me. Oh if anyone knows of any job openings anywhere let me know.
You sound like you love the city life. I think Branson will drive you nuts.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Have you tried driving down "The Strip" in Branson during the summer, holiday seasons and on weekends? Do you know about the colored routes in Branson? It's a great place to play but I'm not sure I'd want to live in the city itself. Maybe that's why we don't.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Question Should you move?

Well it sounds to me like you have a great reason to consider moving...

I love living in this part of the country, having lived in east coast/west coast big cities and small towns...down here at the lake (aka Branson) it's so relaxed and fun! I've lived in other resort areas and I like the idea that one man's vacation paradise is my HOME.

But GIVE...more details on what kind of work you do...do I judge correctly by your screen name that you're in law enforcement?

~Lake Junkie

Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
I'm a guy that's really prideful of where Im from, the great( but overly crowded,expensive, crime-ridden) city of Miami...I'm thinking long and hard about leaving this great city, with all it's positives and negatives for the friendly (sometimes boring) city of Branson. I love how cheap it is there and people are quite friendly ...
I agree with Silvermouse. I think you'd be better off staying in the city of which you are proud.

You indicate that what you "love" about Missouri is cheap land and low cost of living. That is not sufficient reason to move here.

You're going to be unhappy because of the lack of "serious shopping," the family values and Christian emphasis in southwest Missouri, the limited artistic venues compared to metro areas and a whole host of other priorities of metropolitan/cosmopolitan folks like yourself.

Moving permanently from a huge city to southwest Missouri is a radical switch, and someone who emphasizes that he is "really prideful" of his city home is going to have a difficult time living here.

That's my opinion; others will differ.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
I have never been to Miami, so I cannot make comparisons. The only thing to do is spend some time here before you decide to make the move permanent. I agree with the poster who thinks that Branson might make you nuts. For a city person, it's hard to adjust to the "good old boy" mentality that is so rampant here.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,906,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Have you tried driving down "The Strip" in Branson during the summer, holiday seasons and on weekends? Do you know about the colored routes in Branson? It's a great place to play but I'm not sure I'd want to live in the city itself. Maybe that's why we don't.
I agree.

Nothing wrong with SW/SO Missouri, but the last place I would consider moving to is a " tourist trap" town.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:55 AM

48 posts, read 97,928 times
If you are only really considering the move for your fiance, you will probably be miserable. If you are really up for a change, and want to truly experience a different life setting, then I say go for it. As a person who has moved ALOT of times in my life, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed every place I have lived. I have not always stayed (just outside Boston for a year before I couldn't take any more!) but I have definitely enjoyed the experience. Branson is obviously nowhere near as big as Miami, but I'd say the thing to do is weigh the pros and cons of both cities. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Question Tourist "trap"...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I agree.

Nothing wrong with SW/SO Missouri, but the last place I would consider moving to is a " tourist trap" town.

Is there a difference between a tourism-driven town and a tourist "trap"...not being sarcastic, I am truly puzzling out the diff.

May I humbly suggest that what Curmudgeon was saying was that you can live in the Branson "area"...without living inside the city limits. After all, Branson is just a small town (pop. 7500 or so)...and the whole area is just a series of towns ranging from "small" to "smaller" to "tiny" to "don't blink"...with a large rural area that happens to have several lakes & lots of mountainous regions.

I don't think I'd like living right IN Branson, or any other town.

It's kind of neat (for me) living in a small town environment but having so many great amenities there for if you get a hankerin'...

Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Is there a difference between a tourism-driven town and a tourist "trap"...not being sarcastic, I am truly puzzling out the diff.

May I humbly suggest that what Curmudgeon was saying was that you can live in the Branson "area"...without living inside the city limits. After all, Branson is just a small town (pop. 7500 or so)...and the whole area is just a series of towns ranging from "small" to "smaller" to "tiny" to "don't blink"...with a large rural area that happens to have several lakes & lots of mountainous regions.

I don't think I'd like living right IN Branson, or any other town.

It's kind of neat (for me) living in a small town environment but having so many great amenities there for if you get a hankerin'...

Precisely. Near Branson is fine and it has numerous amenities. However, IN Branson proper would be a push for us. Thankfully, *someone* helped us find the perfect house in the perfect place for us a bit over 20 miles SE of Branson and we can be there in about 30 minutes should we choose to. We love it out in the boonies and right on the lake.

Happy Valentine's Day, LJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area