Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,424,053 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know what issues you noticed on this trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 AM

11 posts, read 20,548 times
Lots of foreclosures. i have a friend that is a realestate agent on a west side of town and i had chance to go visit some properties. On one of the streets of a West farm road 12 houses on the street were foreclosed out of 20 that were located there. I dont understand why are not selling them.I seen lots of "outsiders" lol. Nice neighborhoods and BAM a HUMONGOUS house that overshadows half of the street. I was staying on the east side and i have to say that i have seen lot more people acting like 'tourists" Lol. they hold their noses up for some reason. I ask a lady if she could move her giant infinity suv so i could back up the driveway without fear of hitting her to unload my snowmobiles( i drove to springfield and rowed some of the toys) and she told me that if i disrupt her again or be on her property she is calling the police. The guy that lives across the street a person that was lived there most of his life told me to use his driveway until that lady leaves for work following day. I am not sure maybe it is due to winter time but lot less job openings.I had a chance to talk with coupple human resources reps and lots of facilities have a freeze on hiring. On the positive side police and fire depts lifted hiring freeze. Cost of food, utillites and cost of living increased .It seems that people have added edge to them. Again it could be due to a winter months but every place has its own issues. I am in no position to judge since right now in mass everything is skyrocketing.But i have made up my mind and i will be moving after my contract is up.
On the positive note lots more people in bars and food joints and very talkative.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 15,458 times
Odin, where are you from? We are moving into the area soon. My husband gets back from Afghanistan in 10 days. He has 2 weeks home and then he will be in springfield. We have to wait until our house sells first. He is of French lineage but raised in CT. I am from Puerto Rico (Spanish and Italian blood), and an Army Brat. My sister's husband is from Estonia, but he has a lot of family in Sweden. Beautiful countries. Just hang tight, you won't be the only outsider there. I know I will stick out like a sore thumb, but I hope that my future neighbors will look beyond my apparent differences and we can be close.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 890 times
Default Want to move to Springfield.Mo area

We have our home for sale, and when that is completed, we would like to find a place close to the city, with acreage, woods, 3 bd rm, 2 bath, cellar, work shop, heat pump, room for a 5th wheel, and since we do not know the area, we surely would like to know a safe place, away from the tornados, Able to do remodel, build, split wood for fire wood stove. Any info out there?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 PM

914 posts, read 2,203,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny36 View Post
We have our home for sale, and when that is completed, we would like to find a place close to the city... we surely would like to know a safe place, away from the tornados,....
Moderator - This maybe should be a new thread.(?)

That would be a little farther out of town than perhaps you would like - around 900 miles, I should think.

In all seriousness, I have lived within 100 miles of Springfield for more than five decades and have never seen a tornado. I have certainly seen what they can do, though!! I think two, perhaps three touched down inside the city limits during that period. Several others have hit suburban Springfield in that time - I can think of five offhand.

As far as finding rural properties for sale, check the mls listings. There should be rather a lot to choose from. If you get serious about looking hunt around for a real estate agent who will act as a buyer's broker for you. There are some good ones around, so take your time and interview several before deciding.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM

59 posts, read 125,317 times
Original Poster - Most of what could be said about the local area has already been posted. The main problem as already stated is jobs. Plenty to choose from usually but few that will pay you what you need to achieve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The free college labor sure does its part in keeping down the wages. There are good jobs to be had in both Springfield and Branson but don't expect to find them searching the local want ads or the labor bureau. Also it pays to know the right people if you know what I mean, and almost futile if you dont. I've known lots of people in the medical mile and most took off for greener pastures long ago. If you come to Springfield and already have some money stashed ($50,000 or more) you'll be fine. If not prepare for slim pickins. Also being from massachusetts Ill take a wild guess and say that youre probably of the liberal persuasion? As stated you probably wont find much trouble unless you insist on being an "activist" and bringing up your religious (lack thereof) and or political views up in every other sentence of conversations. If so then youll suffer reprocussions.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM

694 posts, read 1,355,393 times
Hi Manny

This used to be a very popular question on this forum - where to stay away from tornadoes. I always felt pretty safe northeast of Springfield until one passed a hundred yards away from us in the middle of the night and took out some neighbors houses and killed a few people. Hall closet just didn't seem deep enough that night. Here is a map that shows every tornado recorded from 1995-2008. Hope it helps you. Map here (http://www.spc.noaa.gov/gis/svrgis/images/Tornado_tracks.gif - broken link). BTW, I have lived here for 50 years and this was the first one that every came close. I am hoping it will be another 50 and doubt I will make it that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area