U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 AM

11 posts, read 17,808 times

Advertisements

Well i am 27 years old male that will be moving to Springfield in next 6 to 8 months. Some time ago i met a beautifull woman from there and i have decided that it is time to start thinking about priorities in life.
I have few questions regarding the current situation in Springfield. I have 2 college degrees and a very solid work history ( work for the state ) and 10 years of working with theModcut- unecessary in psychiatric inpatient units/Lockdown.
-How is current situation to find a job in Psychiatric field in Springfield area?
- How easy to get along with local people? ( i am foreign and i had issues with that in coupple other states that i lived in).
- Housing market in the Southwest and South Springfield.Is it reasonable or out of control like in Massachusetts? i am looking for a Single family home over 1800 sq, 3+ bedrooms, 1.5 + bathrooms 2 car garage and at least .25 of the acre.
- School system in the area? Any areas more favorable that others?
Any answers or imput will be greately appreciated.
Thank you
Odin

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-21-2010 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
Job-wise, it really depends on exactly what degrees you have. Springfield has 2 hospitals, one of which has a short term in-patient psych facility (I think Cox but not 100% sure). There are also children's res care facilities. Boys and Girls Town of MO would be one but I know there are at least a few others. You can look up where the state psych hospitals are but I don't think there are any in Springfield. The largest mental health provider for the Springfield area is Burrell. Your biggest competition is going to be college grads; Springfield has several universities and the mental health providers take advantage of free labor from interns.
IMO (for what it's worth) is that folks in Springfield can be a little tight-knit. You won't necessarily have a hard time "breaking in" because you are foreign, but if you are not Christian, that may present some challenges.
Housing here is not out of control at all, especially not compared to the markets on the east and west coasts. From what I have heard and read, the market is slow but relatively stable.
No idea about the school system, but I'm sure others here can address that.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 AM

Thank you. I have found some informations about few hospitals, St John's, Burrell and Lakeland Hospital.I have also found informations about Boys and Girls Town and Special education programs/School in Nixia ( i am sorry but i am not sure how to spell that name of town). I am not sure what what the pay scale is but after reading some of the posts in this forum i am assuming that it will be well under my current pay.
Regarding the "Breaking In" i am not expecting to many problems since my girl is local and i hope to get to know people since i am easy going.Plus i play lots of sport so i have learned that you get to meet people from all different areas.
Again that you very much for your reply.

Odin

Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 AM

37 posts, read 112,678 times
Wow Its a good.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,552,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking82 View Post
Special education programs/School in Nixia ( i am sorry but i am not sure how to spell that name of town). I am not sure what what the pay scale is but after reading some of the posts in this forum i am assuming that it will be well under my current pay.
Nixa (you were very close)

Housing in this area will make you laugh (good thing) compared to what you're used to in Taxachusetts. Did I mention the difference in taxes?

There are a lot of factors that come into play with home prices, but you should easily be able to find houses that meet your criteria for $150k and less. Usually a lot less.

There are several good school systems in the area. A quick search on the forum will give you tons of detailed info.

Springfield is a conservative area, but don't let people scare you into thinking that non-Christians are treated as outcasts. People around here are generally pretty accepting and the ones who have trouble most often bring it upon themselves.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Thank you for the reply and the correction. Here in the Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts taxes are making me miserable. Housing is very very expensive( i currently rent 1 br appartment and i pay 900 withour the utilities per month). I am reading lots of posts regarding housing in Springfield and surronding cities and i also have been searching online to get price ranges and areas.
I am very conservative and traditional person myself and i am also Christian/Ortodox so i think i will be ok.
Again thank you for the reply.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,552,594 times
My pleasure. If you have any other questions, fire away.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
I would highly recommend you not moving to Springfield or anywhere in Missouri for that matter if you are in healthcare. All healthcare is managed by the hospitals and this means that no one makes a move without following the rules - I have dated a physician, called on health care clinics and recently had a roomie who is a Doctor of psychiatry - the pay for healthcare workers is lower than other states, and Springfield is a very non-friendly town to those other than middle aged white and blue collar...I moved there to take care of my aging parents and it was difficult to find a job paying
over 8 an hour...I am college educated and successful...there is nothing to do on the weekends either...do yourself a favor and take your girl and run...to another city

Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
I moved from Springfield, MO to MASS in Dec. 2008. We moved when my husband got a job, just for him to get laid off 9 months later. He is an electrician and does not have a MA license and MA won't accept any of his education etc. from MO. We lived in Springfield for 23 years. We are thinking of moving back this summer due to the high cost of housing and taxes in MA. However, I am a Medical Assistant and the pay for this field is terrible. The highest I have seen is 10/hr. Springfield is a very hard area to make a decent living in, however the housing is reasonable and the schools are good. Very low crime rate. Everyplace has its pros and cons. My biggest compaint with Springfield is that the wages have not kept up the the increased cost of living. That is the main reason we left. MASS may pay more, but your living expenses are higher, so I quess it all evens out. Good luck in your move. I'm thankful we have friends and family to go back to. I love MASS, but renting a home for 1700 (townhome) is crazy. I had a new 1800 sq ft house that was cheaper than the rent I'm paying. You can get a nice home in Springfield for $150,000.00. I hope that helps.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 AM

Thank you. I just came back from a short trip to Springfield and i have to say i have lots of mixed feelings about my move. Like every other place there are pro's and con's but it is very different feeling and pace of life in Springfield. I been there 3 more times but it was summer and i have to say that this time i have seen lots of issues that i did not notice on my previous trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area