U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:21 PM

226 posts, read 926,212 times

Advertisements

I'm coming June 9th-16 and staying at Marriott in Springfield. My husband and two children (ages 21, 17) will also be with us. We are coming to check out a place to retire. Any suggestions on what to see, do around Springfield? Any special things going on around Springfield in some smaller towns that would be fun. We plan on renting a boat and checking out Table Rock lake, Silver dollar city, Celebration city, and do the water park. Need information on:
1. good places to eat.
2. smaller towns to check out and what to do in those small towns.

any information would be helpful. We want to check out as much as possible in the short amount of time we are in Springfield. We need to see everything and decide if this is the right place for us to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,141,958 times
I don't live there, but when we visited last year someone told us to check out the Bass Pro Shop. I was skeptical because I don't hunt and barely fish, but it was amazing! It has a museum, and aquarium, a restaurant, a shooting arcade, and so much merchandise including boats, clothing, and more. I really enjoyed it and it was the highlight of our trip.

As I recall, it is located on the corner of S. Campbell and Sunshine. Just drive up S. Campbell and you can't miss it.

We pretty much ate at the chain restaurants so I can't help you there.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 PM

42 posts, read 188,890 times
Also, every friday the News-Leader which is our daily paper publishes a weekend report that will list everything that is going on in the different communities from night clubs to theater to festivals. I believe its available for review each friday afternoon online at News-Leader.com | Springfield, Mo.. Should be able to see it tomorrow and get an idea of whats around. Just north of town on highway 13 is Fantastic Caverns and just SW of town is Wilsons Creek Battlefield (civil war sight). SouthEast of town down Glenstone turn left right after crossing over the interstate and follow that road to the Conservation Park. It offers hiking trails and has many public seminars and a walk thru exhibition of missouri info...good family and recreation. We also have a minor league baseball stadium if you like baseball and Jordan Valley Ice rink next to the ball park. As well, there is the Shrine Mosque that put on many events such as Pro Wrestling, concerts and a circus...not sure if they will have anything going on at that time but would be listed in the news leader. I hope this helps some.....

Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,327 times
If your looking for a smaller town, check out Carthage Missouri...west of Springfield. Its a pretty place with wonderful Courthouse Square.
Springfield has a nice Tourist Information Center also. Cannot give directions, but just ask someone when you get there!
Good Luck !
Judy

Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 PM

75 posts, read 324,742 times
Something fun that near Springfield is the Fantastic Caverns. Amazing sights there!

Fantastic Caverns - Springfield, Missouri USA - America's Ride-Through Cave

Thanks,
Ronda Marchant

Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 PM

226 posts, read 926,212 times
These are all great ideas..... thanks.
Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like? I'm hoping it won't be humid.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 AM

1,618 posts, read 3,284,662 times
Default Springfield Weather & 2 Restaurant MUSTS!

Here's a great link to Springfield's Weather:
Springfield, Missouri (65801) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

I also have a great suggestion for where to eat. I noticed that someone mentioned Bass Pro Shop which has a fabulous and fun restaurant called Hemingways. There is a lot to see so plan on spending some other time there, as well. It's NOT your average STORE!

Here's a link to both sites:
Springfield Missouri Sporting Goods Store - Missouri Fishing & Hunting Gear - Bass Pro Shops
Hemingways Blue Water Cafe
Hemingways has some high prices but there are some reasonable ones, too.

Another favorite of ours is Lambert's Restaurant in Ozark, MO. It is right on Highway 65 about 10 miles south of Springfield and 20 miles north of Branson...something like that. Lambert's - Home of Throwed Rolls is such fun that it has a line and busses stop there regularly so you want to go at less conventional eating times. Like Hemingways, it is worth the wait for both food and ambiance, though, so don't miss it! Here's their link:
Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls

I noticed you have been given some great suggestions already. Carthage is a wonderful place, as previously suggested. It is about 1 1/2 hours west of Springfield and home to the Precious Moments Park and Chapel, which you may all enjoy. Here's their link, too:
Park and Chapel: Precious Moments

Well, I hope you have a great time here!

MrsG

Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,040,910 times
Just to clarify something, Precious Moments is undergoing some changes and some of the attractions are no longer open. I'm sure the chapel is still open but I think the Fountain of Angels has closed down. I would call first to find out the current status.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,284,662 times
Thank you, firebll31! I would have no way of knowing that so you have offered a great service to heaton!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 AM

339 posts, read 1,298,302 times
There are many good places to eat, but I have to disagree with the previous post about Hemmingways. I think the food is mediocre at best.

Here's my list of favorites:
High end (wine list places) - 1. Bijans, 2. Metropolitan Grill, 3. Touch, 4. Gilardi's, 5. Flame (steaks)
Bar and Grill - 1. Ebbot's Field, 2. Fox and Hound, 3. Harpo's
BBQ - 1. Buckingham's, 2. Crosstown
Pizza - 1. Arris' Pizza, 2. Imo's, 3. Ebbot's Field
Mexican - 1. Acambaro (fajitas!), 2. Marias, 3. Cielito Lindo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area