Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:35 AM

31 posts, read 100,814 times

Advertisements

So now that I'm finally here in Springfield, I'd like some input on close by camping. The big limiting factor is my wife needs an outhouse near by. I was looking at Compton Hollow CA being our first camping spot, but can't find whether it has outhouses or not(kind of thinking it doesn't). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,397,746 times
Go to Missouri Department of Conservation web site on the left click on conservation areas,go to the county you want.It will tell what the area has to offer and maps.

Plus you have State Parks,Corps of Engineer camping and Mark Twain National Forest.

brushrunner

Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,822,545 times
Default MDC link

Missouri Department of Conservation

Southwest region

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/...gion=Southwest

Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,858,925 times
This headline almost brought me to tears. When my husband and I were in college, we used to camp in Mark Twain Forest, outside of Sparta, almost every weekend. I absolutely miss that place, it's a little too far now.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM

914 posts, read 2,193,707 times
Camping season is just ending for me. The best time for camping is late Oct. to about now - gun deer season excepted.

I do not recall seeing facilities of any kind at any Conservation Area. I do not believe they have them at Wilderness Areas either. State Parks do, of course, and along the Buffalo River National Scenic Waterway some of the trailheads will have camping areas with toilets and sometimes water. Check schedules, however, as they sometimes lock the doors all winter.

It's a few miles out of town, but why not try either Roaring River or Bennett Springs State Park for your first local campout?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Camping season is just ending for me. The best time for camping is late Oct. to about now - gun deer season excepted.

I do not recall seeing facilities of any kind at any Conservation Area. I do not believe they have them at Wilderness Areas either. State Parks do, of course, and along the Buffalo River National Scenic Waterway some of the trailheads will have camping areas with toilets and sometimes water. Check schedules, however, as they sometimes lock the doors all winter.

It's a few miles out of town, but why not try either Roaring River or Bennett Springs State Park for your first local campout?
I live just across the road from Lead Mine CA.It has Toilet and a Well with Pump mainly for Horses but I've drank from it.Many good trails and fishing.

brushrunner

Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 AM

31 posts, read 100,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post

Those both look great! I'll definitetly be giving them both a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I live just across the road from Lead Mine CA.It has Toilet and a Well with Pump mainly for Horses but I've drank from it.Many good trails and fishing.

brushrunner
Sounds like it's worth a shot. Don't know how hard it'll be to convince the Mrs. to go to a place called Lead Mine CA. I have gotten her to camp near abandoned Uranium mines in Arizona though, so we'll see. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscled1 View Post
Those both look great! I'll definitetly be giving them both a shot.

Sounds like it's worth a shot. Don't know how hard it'll be to convince the Mrs. to go to a place called Lead Mine CA. I have gotten her to camp near abandoned Uranium mines in Arizona though, so we'll see. Thanks!
I'm on my phone I get back home I"ll give you some ideas on CAs I've stayed at.

brushrunner

Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,040,454 times
So ready for camping! I second (third, fourth) the suggestion to check out state parks, which almost always have at least basic facilities. I also enjoy camping at KOAs; they have top-notch facilities, but you do pay a bit more for the privilege, and there are only a handful in the area, I think.
I am SO ready for camping...we won't be camping until early June unfortunately but I am really looking forward to it.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Ok Lead Mine has great Camping area with Outhouse.Another without Outhouse down by the River,also there is another Camp area down by the river that might have Porta Outhouse.

There is several trails,the Niangua River, pretty good hunting and a Rifle Range.

Lamine River Conservation Area in Cooper County is a nice area.Camping is a problem being that you basically camp on the Parking Lots.No Outhouses.

But very good fishing and hunting.

Prairie Home Conservation Area in Cooper County.There is Camping close to a Small Lake and a Outhouse.

It is a small area but nice.

Harriman Hill Access in Cooper County is great if you like Catfishing.Camp along Lamine River.There is an Outhouse.

Caney Mountain Conservation Area in Ozark Couty is awsome.Trails,Roads,Camping with Outhouse,I think you can get water at the Office.Some Awsome scenery.

Peck Ranch Conservation Area is in Carter County.It is huge beautiful scenery.Camping with Outhouse.

Bennett Spring State Park in Laclede County its main focuse is on the Trout Fishing but very nice place with nice trail.

Table Rock State Park for a Fee is a great place to Camp by Branson.Can be crowded but but didn't seem that bad to me.We camped right on the Lake.

This is some of the places I have camped.There is several State Park Camping,Mark Twain National Forest has several Camping areas at Points of Intrest in the area and Corp of Engineers has several Camping areas some which are Free but usually have Outhouse and Water.

Ofcourse the State Parks,COE and MTNF camp grounds will be crowded durring Summer.

Have Fun !

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area