U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM

271 posts, read 1,042,834 times

Advertisements

I notice that since I am retired and single I like to spend a lot of time
at some of the local trendy coffee shops. I love to meet new people
there and it can be a good place for the exchange of ideas creative
energy. I notice since I have moved to a town that does not have a
college or university the new ideas and creative energy are somewhat
lacking. I worked most of my life in creative fields so it's great to
meet people with similar backgrounds and also it's nice to meet new
people who have dissimilar backgrounds. I think Joplin and Springfield
both have institutions of higher education with Springfield having the
most colleges. If I were to move to Mo I would prefer the southern part
of the state where it snows less but would be open to other towns.
I don't think I want to live in KC or St Louis and I would guess the best
place in MO might be Columbia for what I am seeking.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM

14 posts, read 46,347 times
I would say that the newly opened Big Mommas on Commercial St is a really great place to grab a cup of joe, sit and watch the people go by on the front terrace. If your interested in a more quiet environment they have that too located in the back. the owner is Lyle and is a great guy to meet. Good people and great coffee and it doesnt have that fabricated coffee shop feel like Starbucks.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:08 PM

271 posts, read 1,042,834 times
Thanks sandman72. I would assume it is in springfield and not joplin. Also
would it be the type of place where creative types gather for a cup and
conversation? I lived in portland, Or. for a while where I was employed
as a product and exhibit designer and there were several coffee shops
where artists, architects and other creative types hung out and talked
shop. I'm not sure if springfield is a artsy or creative type of town but
with several colleges located there it possibly could be.
Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 AM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,744 times
Joplin has (had?) a coffee shop on Main Street called Dioko. I have not been down that way for a while, so I assume it is still there. I think they occasionally had live music, and there were couches and comfy chairs to sit and relax and chat. Seemed like a lot of college kids hanging out. There is a Joe Muggs at Books-a-Million with outdoor seating. It feels a little too much like Starbuck's but with the outdoor seating you can loiter as long as you want, not feel like you're hogging the chairs. And of course, we have a Starbuck's near the Mall.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 AM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,744 times
There is also listed a Char's Java House near the College (in Joplin), but I've never been there.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 AM

14 posts, read 46,347 times
Sorry for that designer, you are correct it is in Springfield. Commercial St is currently undergoing a huge makeover architecturally as well as business types. Commercial St was the original downtown district of Springfield, much like Branson. The design and overall feel of the Commercial St area is geared towards a more creative/artistic area. Big Mommas is still a very new business in the area and may not have the foundational clients that you may be looking for but maybe you may be a pioneer in this area Bolivar did have a place called the Daily Grind but the building collapsed several months ago. I am not sure if they are planning on relocating or wait till the building is safe again. I know there are plenty of Starbucks in Springfield, Glenstone Ave, Sunshine St next to Bass Pro Shop, and South Campbell next to the Campbells 16 Theater but that may not be what you are looking for.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 PM

65 posts, read 344,933 times
Default Couple of More in Springfield

The MudHouse downtown and then on Battlefield Kaldi's isnt bad either.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM

62 posts, read 225,494 times
Yes! My favorites are the Muddhouse (just south of the square downtown), and Big Mama's, which is a new coffee house down on Commercial.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,243,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Joplin has (had?) a coffee shop on Main Street called Dioko. I have not been down that way for a while, so I assume it is still there. I think they occasionally had live music, and there were couches and comfy chairs to sit and relax and chat. Seemed like a lot of college kids hanging out. There is a Joe Muggs at Books-a-Million with outdoor seating. It feels a little too much like Starbuck's but with the outdoor seating you can loiter as long as you want, not feel like you're hogging the chairs. And of course, we have a Starbuck's near the Mall.
The Dioko closed a little while back. There is now a place called Columbia Traders in the same place. It is a soup, sandwich and coffee shop downtown on the newly constructed Main Street. It has studio apts up stairs and is very modern and rustic looking inside. It has a very small market inside. It is very quiet with plenty of tables in view of the in progress multi million dollar face lift to downtown Joplin.
There is a new Starbucks getting ready to open at 35 & Rangeline and one in the works at 66 & Harlem. Also a Starbucks in the Price Cutter 17&Maiden Lane, Starbucks at 4-Rangeline, Target 7-Geneva and on the MSSU campus.
I prefer the Java Daves at 32&McClelland Blvd. It is small but near the hospitals and very quiet and relaxing. Of course there is the Panera BRead at 32&McConnell.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM

108 posts, read 342,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Stewart View Post
The MudHouse downtown and then on Battlefield Kaldi's isnt bad either.
I love both of those!! Oh, how I miss Springtown!!!

And of course, Joplin has a Starbucks, it only went in after everyone else's, same with Kohl's, Bed, Bath and Beyond--that whole "new" area. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area